Haakon's Lupo 3L tdi

Haakon

Hello!

New member fron Norway here, just bought this car from a friend this Sunday, and have spent the last two days not using much diesel :)

The car is a 2000 3L basic-spec with no added frills, so no power-steering, no AC, manual windows etc. This car was sold new in Germany, then imported to Sweden in 01, and finally imported to Norway last year. Got a call from my friend on last thursday (I had already made it clear that he needed to call me first if he ever wanted to sell it), and he was keen to sell it quickly, so I just went for it. There is just a handful of these imported privately here in Norway, and I have never seen one for sale, so it was kinda now or never :)

A few pics taken Sunday when I got it home:

23112009006.jpg

23112009005.jpg

23112009007.jpg

I guess it wont be long until I start making a custom ICE setup, just placed a couple of components in the back to get a picture of the space available:

Soundstream DaVinci amp and Soundstream SPL160 15" subwoofer

24112009012.jpg

24112009011.jpg

Edited by Haakon

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those wheels would look mint banded!

Clean your floor haha!

Really love 3L's - adore that gearstick!

3L wheels on a breadban polished up to a beautiful shine would have large quantities of the win factor.

However ChocolateJames I regret to inform you that they are some kind of alu/mag alloy so cannot be banded.

pretty sure they are silly light though

im lovin how you take the lightweight lupo and go and stick some seriosly heavy ice in it!

that should give some seriously heavy kick once up and running

any other plans?

Not any modification plans until spring, then its getting coilovers and some nice rims, maybe some Schmidt THs or something from Image wheels, probably some 8x15". The whole interior could do with a good rinse, so I'm gonna strip the interior to cleanse it, and run power, signal and speaker wires while the interior is out.

I'm a graphic designer, and I work with car graphics and vinyl car wrapping, so don't be surprised if suddenly the Lupo is another colour. :)

Not any modification plans until spring, then its getting coilovers and some nice rims, maybe some Schmidt THs or something from Image wheels, probably some 8x15". The whole interior could do with a good rinse, so I'm gonna strip the interior to cleanse it, and run power, signal and speaker wires while the interior is out.

I'm a graphic designer, and I work with car graphics and vinyl car wrapping, so don't be surprised if suddenly the Lupo is another colour. :)

well that is just far too handy!

could have it a dif colour every other week!

what about a harlequin lupo?

ive yet to see one! would be awesome!

very nice! the sides are differant on 3l's aswell? look almost like they have side skirts on.

does anyone know if you can fit the 3l gear stick? ...to a none 3l model

id imagine it would fit the same as any other vag shifter,,try some on her who has etka

very nice! the sides are differant on 3l's aswell? look almost like they have side skirts on.

does anyone know if you can fit the 3l gear stick? ...to a none 3l model

am i right in thinking the 3L shares the same shell as the GTI.. hence the side skirts and wider arches?

What is the service history like? Do you know what it has had done to it to get to that mileage?

The service history is so full that I haven't even looked through all of it, but it has a full service-book, a great stack of recites, and 7 full log-books with date/start and end milage/locations for every trip taken :)

I can look through it all and give a full report soon :)

But I know it is on its original turbo AND gearbox, and that is usually problem areas on high milage 3L cars.

id imagine it would fit the same as any other vag shifter,,try some on her who has etka

You underestimate the lengths they went to in reducing weight haha. I just tested it out and no it will not fit,

the 3L has a smaller hole and would require drilling out to fit the standard stick.

DSC_0227.jpg

The service history is so full that I haven't even looked through all of it, but it has a full service-book, a great stack of recites, and 7 full log-books with date/start and end milage/locations for every trip taken :)

I can look through it all and give a full report soon :)

But I know it is on its original turbo AND gearbox, and that is usually problem areas on high milage 3L cars.

That is rather amazing if it has never needed anything doing to the hydraulic gear shift system. I am waiting for some o-rings to arrive from Germany. Hopefully that will be

all that is needed to stop it from pissing hydraulic fluid everywhere.

am i right in thinking the 3L shares the same shell as the GTI.. hence the side skirts and wider arches?

Nope.

Front wings are aluminium, but a different shape to the GTI ones. Front of the sills are different, but not as wide as a GTI's.

I live in Stord, so not too far from you actually. I've just seen two 3Ls in Norway, a blue one in Bergen - and mine. Never seen one for sale. I paid about £2000 for it, mainly because of the mileage, but I guess a "normal" one would go for atleast 2x, maybe 3x as much. Would like a GTI sometime, but it still would cost about £15-17.000 to import a 02-03 6-speed from germany. £5.000 for the car delivered from germany, and £10.000 in taxes to get norwegian plates on it :(