Engine conversion AGU/1.8t

Frankie

Will be keeping an eye on this guys..... some mental cars in the thread that you have owned in the past too ;) i live in Rugby and have family in nuneaton so i may see this around when its all up and running ;) plus when i potentially do my conversion i can call on your help if its available :D

You say that, but that K03S suddenly turns into a K04, which then turns into a GT28, which then turns into a GT30, then you've got a 400bhp motorbike scaring Lupo. Might as well do it while the engine is out eh... :lol:

Hahaha , true :D

Indeed, cheese and garlic it was, oh and 8 euro pints :o i didnt get drunk lol

Im back now and will do some work on it over xmas. At the moment i have had the golf engine hoisted into the lupo engine bay. Next il get the old lupo mounts cut away and get measuring up for new mounts to be welded in. :) then i can measure length the shafts need to be and we'l have some progress made then.

MK4 Golf 3 door GTI is now breaking so spread the word to the vw community. Seats are already sold but everything else must go.

Im back now and will do some work on it over xmas. At the moment i have had the golf engine hoisted into the lupo engine bay. Next il get the old lupo mounts cut away and get measuring up for new mounts to be welded in. :) then i can measure length the shafts need to be and we'l have some progress made then.

You can use right driveshaft from 1.0/1.4/gti , just change inner CV joint with 100mm from golf mk2/3 or Corrado

On left side you can use right rear driveshaft from MK3 VR6 syncro also must change inner CV joint

Then put Mk3 ABF (2.0 16V) gearbox flanges on Mk4 gearbox. Only ABF gearbox has bolt in centre of CV flange.

Hope this helps :)

You can use right driveshaft from 1.0/1.4/gti , just change inner CV joint with 100mm from golf mk2/3 or Corrado

On left side you can use right rear driveshaft from MK3 VR6 syncro also must change inner CV joint

Then put Mk3 ABF (2.0 16V) gearbox flanges on Mk4 gearbox. Only ABF gearbox has bolt in centre of CV flange.

Hope this helps :)

I obviously already have my standard right side shaft.

the inner mk 3 cv joints are around £35 each side delivered

I have made some enquiries about the synchro shaft but the seem very hard to come by. i asked somebody on ebay that was advertising a golf mk2 synchro driveshaft but he said i would need to tell him my spline count and length of the synchro shaft and get one made up.

There is a mk3 2.0 16v breaking for spares near to home so ive emailed them asking for the gearbox flanges so fingers crossed there

True - mk2 driveshaft is shorter than mk3.

Buy that and try. If you find that is too short , you can make spacer between inner CV and flange and use longer bolts :)

Few years ago I had Rallye Golf with Mk3 VR6 suspension , I broke left driveshaft and put mk2 (15mm shorter) with no issues.

Before you buy those ABF flanges , take one from 1.8T and check number of teeth.

Edited by Petar

Will have to get some pics up when i can be bothered, standard mounts are cut/drilled out now. before daylight failed we got the engine offered up. when drivers side mount is seated on the leg theres no room really for the original mk4 gearbox mount so going to go back to that with a fresh head today to see if something can be worked out there or whether i can custom mount the drivers side to bring it all over a little.

Shall report back.

thiveing tossers feel for you mate which intercooler did you have stolen the agu one or were you using aftermarket? ive got an agu one im not using in my conversion which you can have if it will help

Edited by dubsy

• 1 year later...

Rite guys time for an update after a long long time. Im puttin this up for frankie as all the pics are on my camera. The engine is now in position and all the engine mounts are nearly finished. So heres the pics

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

[

Edited by Jona Bona

I've gotta say, the way you've chopped into the box section of the chassis legs on both sides will really improve the crumple zones and general car safety if you ever stack it.

The chassis legs will be boxed back in useing 3mm steel so will be stronger than the original item that will be done once the engine is removed after all the mounts are finished. This has to be done as the engine will not pysically fit in because its to wide. If you or anybody else has anymore sarcastic remarks you can keep them to yourself !!!!

Lol. for a start im not doubling the power in the name of safety, id be more concerned about the removal of my airbags tbh. We are learning as we go here so there will be mistakes along the way and constructive criticism and advice is always appreciated. cheer up Rich. Thanks for posting the photos jonah :)

Nope, some people dont chop them at all. But a lot of people do if u take a looksy, it seems to depend on which engine you use. From what i remember the bam engine with its mounting requires less chop chop. Im not a know all but i think thats pretty much how it goes. With the agu lump using original mk4 mounts it has to be done. Not that it will matter a jot though, once plated back up the legs will be back to oem strenth or stronger.