Front speakers

DanGTI

can worthwhile front speakers be had for £50-£100? I dont know much about ICE stuff so could really use some advice.....

Im planning on doing that mod to the doorcards to stop the vibration (tigz posted a guide for it somewhere)....is it worth getting some better units in there while Im doing the job? And if so, what would u suggest?

Also, Im not really interested in adding a sub at the mo cos I can listen to them for a few tracks then they annoy me.....but could I get an amp to run the speakers, then use it to power the sub if I get one later? How much would I be looking at for a worthwhile one?

Personally Dan I would try amping the standard speakers up first, as they are pretty good speakers if given plenty of juice.

Give them 100wrms crossed over at 80hz and a small sub to play everything lower.

You'd be supprised how good it can sound.

think ill take ur advice on that one and see what theyre like once the rattles sorted. Id like a punchy sub, a good quality 8inch one would be good, but dont like enclosures in boots....so still not totally convinced.

what kind of cost / brands etc would i be looking at for the amp? and could the sub be added later? (ohms and all the other no.s dont really mean anything to me yet, i really am ICE dumb....i just know what i like the sound of)

You could use any amp really mate, so long as the power supplys a good one (a good way for the indication of this is by seeing what rate they quote there rms figures.

A good power supply will give the RMS power at 12v instead of 14.4v. As they want you to know its a capable amp.

A sub could be added at a later date no worries, the only thing is, a 6.5" mid driver will need you to cut off 80hz and lower unless they will distort with very little volume.

You can get componts that will do everything, to save you needing a sub.

If you have £500 avaiable, RE XXX componts would do the job nicely.

Oh yes, one thing that would help, the componts in the Loop are 4ohm speakers but are wired to show the amp an 8ohm load.

This means the amp is only produceing half its power (I meen the amp in the h/u as ell as an external amp.) If you wired these up to a external cross over, and used the head unit to power the tweeters, and an exernal amp to power the mids (the tweeters have a built in filter) you could show the amp in the h/u a 4ohm load so your tweeters will get full power, and the exeranl amp will give the mid full power also.

The RE XXX components would sound amazing but please don't forget you cant just slap them in the doors. You have to build enclosures inside the doors to make them worth having, and feed them with a high RMS wattage.

had someone who knows what theyre doing set up my alpine with the existing front speakers and to work with the 6X9s I already have and it sounds great, perfect for me who gets annoyed with 'the big sub sound'. might have to get an amp though....any recommendations for up to £150 / £200 / £300?

Dan do you know that maybee 5 days out of seven, my sub and componants are set for SQ, the sub turned for SQ and you wouldnt even know where in the car the sub was, only on meets, or the weekend, or if someone is in the car do I turn it up.

A Sub compont works if you set the up right.

You blend it so you hear the sub at the same level as the mids and tweets.

Its a shame your so far away I could show you my system when set up for SQ.

And mine isnt "that" impressive.

A real set of SQ system will blow your mind, IMO it sounds better than any home system.

Max can you remember the van we went and chatted to the builder about?

Dan we had just spent 2 hours in the rain, on a muddy field (saying field but there was NO grash lol) watching the sound off.

So when we were ready to leave, the sparkle had gone about the show, Club Lupo had been turned down because we were not "Max Power" enough.

Even with all that, when I heard that SQ van, I forgot where the hell I was.

So clear, as the mids only had to play the mid range, the small subs were playing the high bass, and the larger subs played the low bass.

But the thing was you couldnt tell what speaker was playing what.

Spending a little bit of cash on a RE series 8" 175wrms sub, would barley take up hardly space. They only cost £99 and only need a small amp to power them.

its ok i know what good systems sound like and i will eventually get round to building a decent set up and learning more about it but for now im happy with my cheapy cheerful set up (eventhough i know just seeing me type 6x9 makes u cringe!)....its just when i do it, i wil do it REALLY well....not one of these boomy / over bass max power set ups.

also...you only turn it up when theres people in the car? take it the people you carry dont have much to talk about?!?

No there my friends, and they know how much work I put into it so like to have a listen.

My system isnt boomy though Dan, bass isnt suppose to be boomy, unless the music you are playing is recorded that way.

A system isnt makeing sound, it is just letting you hear it.

I do not have a problem with.

6x9 speakers used to produce mid bass, always works.

Its when people use 3 way 6x9s on a parcel shelf aiming at the roof, with the tweeters screwing up the imageing that it annoys me.

If you disconnect the tweeters the system will sound sooo much better.

I wouldnt have belived it if I had not heard it in Max's system when he removed his sub for Blackpool.

It sounded fantastic.

i didnt mean your system was boomy...just dont want to spend loads of money when i dont know anything about car audio and buy *****....i did it with my home system and ended up changing loads of it.

if only we had a product review section where i could find out a bit more about audio products smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(Tigz)
Spending a little bit of cash on a RE series 8" 175wrms sub, would barley take up hardly space. They only cost £99 and only need a small amp to power them.

that sounds interesting - where are good places to get them? And does anyone have one or know of somewhere i could have a listen to one?