Remote Central Locking/Alarm Key

Hi all

I need some knowledgeable help! My remote key has stopped working, when I press it it doesn't lock/unlock the car, I have to manually turn the key in the lock. This is fine from the drivers side and the key starts the car no problem, but if I open the passenger door or boot it sets the alarm off. The alarm stops when I start the engine. Does this mean I just need a new battery in my key or could it be something worse? I didn't want to go to the expence of having VW charge me to look at it if it is just a new battery.

Thanks for your help!

:wtf:

Amy x

Have you tried recoding the key to the car, think it says how to in the how to make a flip key post.

I don't think it is the code, if it was it wouldn't start the engine. When we bought the car the spare key didn't work, cause the kid had never used it, it needed recoding. It would unlock the doors but not start the engine.

I don't think it is the code, if it was it wouldn't start the engine. When we bought the car the spare key didn't work, cause the kid had never used it, it needed recoding. It would unlock the doors but not start the engine.

Check the re-programing instructions in your manual, fit a new battery also. It's not the key that needs recoding, it's the fob.

If the instructions in the manual fail, and you have two keys.....

First off, you require 2 keys to do it without a diag tool or your wasting your time.

1. Put 1 key in the ignition and turn the ignition on. (this way the car knows its got a known key in it and is happy)

2. Close all the doors and boot. (The car hates getting a chill and you need to keep it happy)

3. Put your other key in the drivers door and manually lock the car. (Remember the car is happy as it has a known key in the ignition and now you have a second key and manually locked it, it still knows its safe and will accept a new remote signal)

4. Press the button on the remote and you will hear a 'chirp' of acceptance. (This is the car letting you know its delighted to have another remote signal stored)

5. Manually unlock the car. (So it knows not to accept any other signals)

6.Turn off the ignition remove the key, close the door and confirm operation of the remote.

7. Your now as happy as the car emotion-5.gif

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. Put a new battery in at the weekend and it is still the same. Little scared about locking the car with the engine running, what if I can't get back into it??! :o

• 6 years later...

any further advice on this topic ?? 

lupo gti i have two keys and have tried the above method many times using both keys in the ignition - i cant seem to get any response from either key when pressing the lock button after locking the door with the drivers side door lock 

put new batterys in both keys today and still no response 

any advice is appreciated 

thanks

Edited by Mickey