reflex silver paint??..

Rudaz

hi, just resprayed my boot handle in the correct colour match, but it seams slightly darker than the rest of the car. i put this down to slightly faded paint work at first, but i dont believe that to be the case anymore. ive used gray primer.... would white primer have been more substantle?? anybody know this kind of stuff your advise would be appreciated. colour of the car is reflex silver so is a fairly light colour anyway. thanks Danny

Your never gonna get a perfect match like that. Go to a refinishing place and get them to match it via colour chips. Any colour, of the same name, can have a number of variants dependent on the year... The colour of the primer wouldnt matter.

Im not sure of the colour but from the name guess its a metallic. The prob with metallics is motteling. Not getting the metal particles to sit right giving it a darker look. Also you cant just do the handle and expect it to blend... Best thing you could do mate is take it to a bodyshop (or a mate who does painting!).

The handle itself would need painting and also have it blending in to the surrounding area...

Hope this helps.

Pete

Never had a problem myself with small items (max of about 25cm x 25cm ) with the original VW paint, but always had issues with other paints in particular the Halfords stuff.

turns out twas me that made a boo boo, i was under the impression that the car was reflex, but as it turns out i went to get some paint from VW and in their system the car is under moon silver :rolleyes: hense the darker effect! Mike_M you are correct, the VW paint is about 3million times better - easier to use, better finish and a great match! shame about the price though!! £13!! but £13 well spent imo

thanks for all trhe input guys much appreciated!

When I first read the thread I was going to say are you sure it's Reflex! :doh:

Halfords paint is poo. VW paint is expensive. :(

:blush: my bad...at least i know now. tbf halfords is rubbish for pritty much anything, this was the 1st thing i really bought from there :lol: if they do have what you are after (which is never!) it costs a bomb anyway..

Why do you think halfords paint is 'poo'?

The colour should be matched, if you just go off the colour code then it's your own fault for getting the wrong colour!

If you rely on them to match it and don't question them, then it's your fault too. You can match it yourself and get them to mix it up. No mishaps.

Used Halfrauds paint on my spoiler, lock caps, mirrors.. But it was done by a professional painter at work using 2k lacquer on top.....and black is far easier.

I had a silver Ka, that was a nightmare to get any kind of colour match on.

Why do you think halfords paint is 'poo'?

The colour should be matched, if you just go off the colour code then it's your own fault for getting the wrong colour!

If you rely on them to match it and don't question them, then it's your fault too. You can match it yourself and get them to mix it up. No mishaps.

i dont think their paint is 'poo' i was just stating that vw paint is better. i have used halfords paint once or twice on all my cars, just wont be from now on :)

Edited by Rudaz

I dont like the halfords paint as never had a good match and now always go to VW for the paint as always get a great match and as mentioned the paint is of a better quality and seems to flow a lot better when spraying.

I used to love the Holts paint but cant seem to find it anymore..........personal opinion!

Edited by Mike_M

Just when I've used VW paint I've had a much better match than with the Halfords stuff. Never had to have paint mixed, just bought 'VW Tornado Red' off the shelf.

My mate had some mixed by Halfords for his old Polo, and it seemed like such an innacurate way of doing it. A paper cup on a set of scales, and the lad squirting paint in to it til the scales read the right amount, then poured the full lot in a spray tin.

Edited by Philplop

My mate had some mixed by Halfords for his old Polo, and it seemed like such an innacurate way of doing it. A paper bup on a set of scales, and the lad squirting paint in to it til the scales read the right amount, then poured the full lot in a spray tin.

Hilarious, sounds like something they would do in B&Q for some dulux!