An epic fail for Microsoft...

nfbr

Apple-logo.jpg

Microsoft’s ‘I’m a PC’ Campaign Made With Macs

These guys just can’t get it together. AppleInsider’s, Prince McLean writes, “Metadata found on Microsoft’s creative copy used in its ‘I’m a PC’ ad reveals that the graphics were actually produced using Macs running Adobe Creative Suite 3. After the details were published on the Flickr photo sharing site, Microsoft scrambled to polish off the embarrassing details last night.”

Microsoft’s much touted, and often obtuse, $10million ad campaign with Jerry Seinfeld has been scraped, and has been replaced with a new ad approach, which features an actor dressed to look like John Hodgman, the Apple’s Get a Mac ad “PC” character. He is joined by a people who all say, “I’m a PC,” in the attempt to send the message that PC users are everywhere. Decent concept — certainly nothing brilliant — except that its credibility was totally blown.

The problem is that even Microsoft needs a Mac in order to produce their commercial. Flickr user LuisDS discovered metadata which proved that Microsoft was using Macs as well as Adobe’s Creative Suite 3 (rather than its own Expressions Studio) in order to create the commercial.

Ouch.

Dilger, at Roughly Drafted, writes, “Apparently, neither Windows PCs nor Expression Studio are up to the task of taking on Apple and destroying its globe enshrouding “Get a Mac” campaign. The image of John Hodgman as a troubled PC struggling with Vista-related problems has pushed Microsoft to defend itself with a $300 million campaign to take control of the “conversation about Windows,” using Macs as needed to get the message produced.” LuisDS published the metadata details (which can be viewed at Cult of Mac); but, when he went back the following day, he discovered that Microsoft had scrubbed the revealing details from the work. Good work, LuisDS, for getting the word out before it disappeared. Apple marketing will get mileage out of this, we can be sure. Not only can’t Microsoft make an operating system which stands up to Apple’s OS X, but they can’t even make a commercial to repair their image using their own equipment without the support of Apple’s higher quality! Sad, sad, sad.

Extract from Here

• Like 1

YAWN! ...at least Mac users can't slag the Intel processor off now.

Horses for courses, somethings are more suited to a Mac PC where others are better on a Windows PC.

We have over 200 Macs at work now, but guess what: they rely on Windows based servers for network authentication and storing all their creative media.

I did have both until my logic board died on my Mac and it was cheaper to buy a Windows based notebook than it was to repair my Mac.

I do drool over Mac's I admit, but the price puts me off. Also, it's funny how Microsoft get done for anti-competitive/monopoly yet I think Apple are much worse. Only allowing their operating system to run on their hardware and the iphone SDK mac only is more anti-competitive than selling Windows with IE bundled in.

YAWN! ...at least Mac users can't slag the Intel processor off now.

To the best of my Knowlege they never did... Up until apple started using the Intel processors, their computers were trash... The first and Second generation iMac's were utter toss.

I did have both until my logic board died on my Mac and it was cheaper to buy a Windows based notebook than it was to repair my Mac.

Everything that a normal Creative person would want to do on a computer, can generally be done better on a Mac.

Unlike Windows laptops, A £1000 new Macbook can be sold for £400 3 years down the line, by which point a windows laptop probably wouldn't even work!

Buy a mac and loose all your data :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8304229.stm

data losses when logging into their machines under a guest account.

Looks as if you Jumped to a conclusion without reading the Article there... The only issues with data loss at the moment are regarding Guest accounts. Anyone who logs onto their own computer as a Guest is obviously a little bit odd...

It's not something that will cause an issue to any normal Home or Business users. Only people who run internet cafes or let random people use their computer, hense logging in as a guest and not a primary or 'Registered' user.

Trust you to try and start an argument slagging off mac's though... lol

I wouldnt mind having a mac, but i would never go without a windows PC.

I used to swear by PC's and Hated mac's thoroughly. Didn't take much to change my mind... These days, I'd be happier if I never had to use a windows based PC again! The ones at work kill me with stress!

Edited by nfbr
  • Like 2

I've been using Windows for years at home and at work. All workstations are using Service Pack 3 with the latest drivers installed and I haven't seen one BSOD for years. The only time I get a BSOD is when I overclock my quad core to the limits but I'm a stress tester, this is how we experiment.

New hardware vendors aren't going to support Mac's. There going to support and produce drivers for the larger marketshare that is Microsoft.

I reformatted my home PC a year ago and I've never had one issue since. As an IT Assitant to the IT Manager I know lots of things that a novice or amateur wouldn't know, I even surprise my boss sometimes.

At work we have 80 computers, we changed the Anti-virus from NOD32 to Kaspersky 6.0. Upgraded all computers to Service Pack 3 and updated all the GeForce drivers for the graphic cards and I haven't had one complaint about a BSOD or slack performance. We had a few BSOD's in the past but this turned out to be outdated GeForce drivers.

Windows works well but suffers with the terrible drivers that hardware vendors come up with.

• Like 1