Lupo Race Build

truCido

• 2 weeks later...

Gave her a clean today, removed the thermostat and now it doesn't over heat (thank god) however I am getting what looks like water vapour out of the exhaust...so I'm guessing maybe the head could be cracked or something or maybe worse...

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

Edited by truCido

Really hope everything is ok for you! Fingers x'd!

Just realised that you are my neck of the woods- I work in Bristol. I will keep checking thread to see if your racing locally. Stu

Nice work, did you manage to bleed the brakes OK with the master cylinders at that angle?

Have you weighted it yet? Any idea how far you are off the min? See you still have the mud flaps. lol

Thanks Stu :)

yeah they seemed to bleed fine, although I will need to do them again soon as I need to wind the front master cylinder closer to the pedal as the brakes don't seem to do much!!

Nope not weighed yet. I'm pretty much ready to go now :) just a few little bits a pieces and to get the brake bias sorted out. I read the rules and it said that I need to keep the mud flaps! I guess it'll stop spray for other drives

Thanks Stu :)

yeah they seemed to bleed fine, although I will need to do them again soon as I need to wind the front master cylinder closer to the pedal as the brakes don't seem to do much!!

Nope not weighed yet. I'm pretty much ready to go now :) just a few little bits a pieces and to get the brake bias sorted out. I read the rules and it said that I need to keep the mud flaps! I guess it'll stop spray for other drives

Hey.. Need to keep the mud flaps? where does it say that? laugh.gif Crazy.

What size master cylinders do you have??

uhhhhh 2 secs will try to find it!! LOL. To be honest I don't think they actually implement half these rules :P

Uhhh I think ones a 0.625 (front) and the rears are a 0.7

Edited by truCido

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to have a mental breakdown that's about it :P

So the last few weeks...Fixed a leaking master cylinder and I took the car to a garage to get the brakes setup on a brake tester so I could set the bias correctly, found that the rears weren't actually doing anything and the MS feels like the seals gone, so I've taken that off and sent it back for a replacement.

After we did the brake setup we were about to drive it on the trailer and the clutch cable snapped :( Unfortunately this was the day before the test day and there was no way I could get it sorted in time to do the test day so I cancelled my entry to the race as I want a test day first. So after deciding the way I connected it is unsuitable, we've now welded a bolt into the mechanism and then drilled a hole through the bolt and you can guess the rest, I don't really like it but it's the only way we could come up with and it should be secure.

Windows and cut off switch now work properly.

Towing straps fitted

Catch tank fitted

Air intake fitted

All that's left to do now is attach the new clutch cable, fit the MS when it comes back, fit the door cards (there cut to shape just need actually attaching) and get the tracking and camber all set up. I'll get the door cards done tonight and I need to grab a rotary tool or something to fit the clutch cable (I need cut the housing off the cable and its difficult with side cutters).

Next race is the 19/20th June at Castle Combe so I hope to actually make this one :D As long as there are no more issues I should be fine!

Edited by truCido

Your car looks mean mate.

Will get along and see this at combe sometime I think.

props for an awesome build.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had to skip the race tomorrow due to not receiving the master cylinder back from the manufacturer till very late :( On a plus note though all thats left to do is plug a hole in the bulk head and bleed the rear brakes, which will be completed this week!

IMG_0087_2.jpg

IMG_0088_2.jpg

IMG_0089_2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So today we got a few things completed, I haven't really taken any pictures. So took the Lupo to FCM Motorsport to get my tracking and camber setup, I went for 2 degrees of camber on the front and well the rear isn't adjustable.

camberadjustment.jpg

Then after getting home I covered the holes in the bulk head, fitted the outlet hose of the catch tank to the air intake, attached the external cut off pull, fitted a door handle on the drivers door and fitted the cameras here's the view you're going to get!

frontview_0001.jpg

rearview_0001.jpg

I may have been in a little rush and forgotten to close the boot when taking the picture haha sorry!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well I thought I'd write up a full report :)

Arrived at Castle Combe at about 7pm and setup camp, had a bit of a chat with a few of the other saloon guys and then went for a wonder around the circuit as it was a nice evening and headed off to bed. It poured it down in the night and thankfully the tents still waterproof :P

We got up early (7:30 lol) and I cleared the Lupo out of a few accessories still in there and then went and signed on, took the car up to scrutineering (had to push it because it was before 8:30am) and Jay nearly passed out lol guess he's not used to exercise that early but a sausage sandwich sorted him out. Car went through scrutineering without any problems and then we pushed it back which was much easier as its a bit of a downhill slope. Then before I knew it qualifying was upon us so warmed the car up (not that anyone could hear it), put the gear on and then took it down to the paddock. Out we went and cars started flying past, took it easy the first few laps to let the brakes and tyres warm up a bit and then it started to rain, the car was oversteering and I wasn't confident in the brakes oh and I couldn't get 4th gear so I put the laps in and managed a 1:42:11 which isn't the greatest but for my first ever outing in the car but I qualified 29th out of 30, I'm not going to complain!!

So back into the paddock get out of the car...annoucement...David Rose to the Clerk of the Course, oh dear, then realise I didn't attend the drivers briefing as it was my first ever race at Combe :s Then I was told I apparently crossed the line when I exited the pits but I wasn't the only one there were quite a few of us and I just followed the guy in front, so just a little word of caution :)

Back to the car, up on the ramps and we could get the car into 4th by slamming it in and couldn't get to the linkage without removing everything so I decided to leave it and thought that as I could slam it into 4th I could survive...had to pop to the petrol station to fill the jerry with some lovely super unleaded and grab a few snacks and then back.....thought we'd check the tyre pressures...40 PSI!!! IN THE WET :s oh dear. Wouldn't have helped at all....so lowered to 28psi...8 hours later....time for the race :D

Starting to get a bit nervous now......get my gear on again, warm the car up and down to the paddock, kinda worried now!! See the Young Guns are on there last lap so get in the car and turn the cameras on, belt up, get the helmet on and sit there waiting....pull out onto the grid on row 15 next to Peter Weston in his MG ZR....out for the green flag lap and I can't get 2nd now :( so follow everyone around warm the tyres and brakes up a little and form up on the grid, get a thumbs up from Peter, 5 second board...lights on and out!! Initially I accelerated quite well and tried 2nd gear and no luck again so into 3rd and away everyone goes....I tried to keep up but no chance. I was also taking some strange lines which I know are wrong but I guess its just nerves. Anyway coming down the back straight into tower try 4th and nothing :( it just won't go in. Try again after coming out of the esses into camp and still won't go in so decided that I would just "cruise" around in 3rd gear. Scarily I started getting lapped after lap 4!! Kev in his Leon was flying and shortly followed, shortly followed by Tony in his Audi TT and Mark in the Astra and a few others :) I tried 4th a few more times but it really wasn't having it :( So overall finished 25th (5 guys dropped out) and just glad to have finished the whole race.

So next race is in 2 weeks so not much time for improvements so will adjust brake bias more towards the front, lower the suspension as it sits a bit high which will hopefully improve handling a little, get the gearbox sorted out which is hopefully just the linkage and hopefully that would put me up a lot closer to the back of the pack :)

I'll get some videos and pictures up tonight when I get home!

Lap Times

Lap Laptime
1 01:51.1
2 01:41.2
3 01:40.2
4 01:39.6
5 01:40.0
6 01:40.1
7 01:40.9
8 01:40.0
9 01:39.1
10 01:39.2

Saw you racing on sunday dude !

pure coincidence just fancied going to combe and seeing what was on..

and it was Saloon championship and there was your little lupo at the back.

teething problems I guess ?

Hope you get it all sorted before next time.

haha nice one :) It wasn't the best race day going but the next one (31st July and 1st August) should be a really good weekend of racing!!

yeah :( but I've just ordered the bits I need so should be sorted soon, hoping to get out on the VW & Audi Track Day on Saturday. Thanks!! :)

Edited by truCido

• 2 weeks later...

Had my 2nd and 3rd races this weekend just gone, towed the car down to Castle Combe on Friday night with some help from Mark at South West in Car Tech! Dropped the car off and setup the gazebo over it and headed back home. Got to Combe for 9am on Saturday morning and before I knew it we were out qualifying. The car felt a LOT better than the first meeting, I think 2nd and 4th gear helped a little :P I immediately did a 1:34.895 and it creeped down as I went on and ended up qualifying 33rd out of 34 with 1:31.199, which I was over the moon with as I didn't expect to gain that much time.

1st Race - I got a decent start and managed to get in front of Pete Weston in his MG ZR and he pushed me a bit for the first few laps but then had issues with his power steering so I had a lot of room to myself for most of the race. I'll get my in car footage up tonight but it was quite a straight forward race, I managed to keep it on the track and improve my best time by another second and I finished 26th out of 28. Which was 6th in class so I got my very first championship point!!

1st race - 26/28 - 33 started

1 - 1:44.705
2 - 1:31.924
3 - 1:31.230
4 - 1:31.031
5 - 1:30.693
6 - 1:31.603
7 - 1:32.122
8 - 1:30.394
9 - 1:32.169
10 - 1:32.022
11 - 1:31.949

2nd Race - Well this race had a bit more happening :s You'll see from my in car camera [

] that there was mayhem off the start, Geraldine Duff turned over after hitting the back of Nicks Civic (watch the whole video for the rear camera and to see how close Russell came to hitting me!) and then in front of me as I went up to the rise cars went everywhere. Thankfully everyones ok although I think a few are feeling a bit stiff but I wish them a speedy recovery and to see them soon hopefully!!

Anyway after the restart I had a nice gap in front of me and an Jamie in his Alfa to the right, I got a good start and managed to get past Jamie and around the outside of him at Quarry but his Alfa 156 has a little more power in a straight line so he had the straight line speed and to my surprise I saw a Fiesta ST behind me, I managed to keep Kelly behind me but after the 3rd lap it was obvious she had the straight line speed and there was nothing I could do. I did manage to pass Kelly again on lap 8 as she went wide to let others through as we were being lapped but I just couldn't keep her behind me. So overall I finished 23rd out of 25 which was 5th in class so 2 more championship points!! I also managed to set another personal best time of 1:29.384 which I'm really happy with!!

2nd race - 23/25 - 32 started

1 - 1:44.583
2 - 1:30.785
3 - 1:30.153
4 - 1:30.113
5 - 1:29.384
6 - 1:30.774
7 - 1:30.446
8 - 1:31.714