Lupo Race Build

truCido

I'm quite new to the Lupo world but I've decided to try and race one smile.gif I bought 'Eric' from Pete / Tallika_Fan so some of you might know the car already and its build thread can be seen here: http://forums.clublu...showtopic=22070

So the plan is to enter the Lupo into a Class for up to 1.4 so based on weight etc I thought a Lupo would be perfect.

Plans at the moment are to sort the chassis as if funds don't permit all the engine work I want doing I can still get myself racing and achieve some good results. So my plan of action at the moment is the following:

Strip interior, leave nothing but the bare essentials
Roll Cage
Bucket Seat + Mounts + Harnesses
Steering Wheel + Boss
280mm Calipers + brakes
Bigger Alloys needed to fit brakes under
Front + Rear ARB
Front + Rear Strut Braces
Uprated Engine Mounts
Air Filter
Fire Extinguisher System
Suspension - This is something I'm quite uncertain on, currently it already has Weitec coilovers fitted with both damper and height adjusters however I might need something a bit more race spec but we'll see how I get on with them at first.
Poly Bushes are already fitted
All sorts of gauges

And then the engine I also have a big list for that but I'll save that for later. I plan on keeping this thread up to date with all my progress and I also have a blog at http://www.davidroseracing.co.uk where I will also be providing updates.

Hopefully you guys will be able to give me a bit of advice because I have no doubts I will be getting stuck at some point or will forget things!!!

So the first pic of it loaded on the trailer:

lupoontrailer.jpg

Edited by truCido

Dependant on how much you are going to spend you could also get certain panels from a GTi which are aluminium and therefore weigh much less that the standard steel parts.

Just doors and bonnet would save you quite alot of weight but they dont come cheap, especially from the dealers. They do however crop up now and again on the forum and eBay though so its worth keeping an eye out :)

I think i would sooner spend my money on polycarbonate windows than GTI / 3L pannels not saying they are not a good idea but once you strip the electric motor and all the wiring out of

the doors that will have saved quite a bit of weight. One thing to keep in mind is not just striping weight but where you strip it from. Taking it from the windows will lower the centre of

gravity and the car will be transformed in the bends. Its not actually that much either.

VW LUPO WINDOW KIT

RACE / RALLY LIGHTWEIGHT POLYCARBONATE WINDOW KIT

5 piece kit to fit the VW LUPO , Supplied with fully moulded rear screen supplied as standard.

From £220.00 (+ 15% VAT)

http://www.plastics4performance.com/ lupo windows

• Like 1

I would save weight on the brakes by not going for the 280mm upgrade. get proper race pads like Carbone Lorraine RC6 or RC8's, uprated discs, braided hoses and race brake fluid and then get either slicks or track-day tyres depending on what the rules allow. The Weitec's coilover dampers will be fine but you may find that you need stiffer springs (especially if you go for slicks)

Engine wise cams should be considered. We can get race cams for the AUA and APE engines.

I would save weight on the brakes by not going for the 280mm upgrade. get proper race pads like Carbone Lorraine RC6 or RC8's, uprated discs, braided hoses and race brake fluid and then get either slicks or track-day tyres depending on what the rules allow. The Weitec's coilover dampers will be fine but you may find that you need stiffer springs (especially if you go for slicks)

Engine wise cams should be considered. We can get race cams for the AUA and APE engines.

Was hoping you might pop in and offer some advice :) You think the standard size would be up to the job?

Not allowed slicks :(

I'll drop you a PM about cams

Cheers!!

Thanks guys. I was planning on GTi bonnet, doors and front wings. However the regulations don't allow for poly windows unfortunately. They have to stay as glass!

In that case the 3L has lightweight glass. I have no idea how much it costs but it may be worth checking with VW.

Edited by Unheard

Not sure that even the 3L glass is allowed the regs state:

"The windscreen must be laminated glass but all other windows must be glazed with the same material as originally supplied by the manufacturer" however whose to say my car isn't a 3L with a 1.4 engine!

You think the standard size would be up to the job?

The standard size will be fine with the right uprated parts. I'll have a look to see what discs will be suitable for you - needs a high carbon content.

With taking out weight from the car it may be worth relocating the battery and anything else you can think of to the rear and even going to a smaller race battery..

oh and big KamRacing.co.uk stickers will make you go faster :P

Edited by Kam Racing
  • Like 1

GTI's have thinner (lighter) glass too. :)

And the doors are very light, can easily carry one in each hand.

And from what I remember, a GTI bonnet is 6kg, and a Eurocarparts steel bonnet is about 11kg.

The standard size will be fine with the right uprated parts. I'll have a look to see what discs will be suitable for you - needs a high carbon content.

With taking out weight from the car it may be worth relocating the battery and anything else you can think of to the rear and even going to a smaller race battery..

oh and big KamRacing.co.uk stickers will make you go faster :P

That would be great thanks, could you drop me a PM with some prices?

Definitely will be putting the battery back and getting a smaller race battery!

Haha that could be arranged...depends how nice you are :P

That would be great thanks, could you drop me a PM with some prices?

Definitely will be putting the battery back and getting a smaller race battery!

Haha that could be arranged...depends how nice you are :P

I'm always nice :D

Right then, today is the first day I've looked at the car apart from when I picked it up and dropped it off so I've taken quite a few pictures. BTW all the interior is up for grabs...if anyone wants anything let me know

So these are how the car started

SDC10333.jpg

SDC10334.jpg

SDC10335.jpg

SDC10336.jpg

SDC10337.jpg

SDC10341.jpg

SDC10342.jpg

SDC10338.jpg

First bit of weight saving done lol

SDC10345.jpg

SDC10346.jpg

SDC10349.jpg

SDC10350.jpg

SDC10352.jpg

Then it started to rain so got the tarpaulin over the car, opened the doors and boot and got a nice light in there (I burnt my finger on it :()

SDC10354.jpg

SDC10355.jpg

SDC10361.jpg

SDC10362.jpg

And this is how we left it

SDC10369.jpg

SDC10370.jpg

SDC10371.jpg

SDC10372.jpg

So most things are out, only the dash to take apart really, remove the speakers, get the sound proofing from the roof off (left my heat gun somewhere). Feel we made a good start tonight :)

Edited by truCido

Looking good, there is something very satisfying about stripping a car. I would love to know how much weight you have removed already.

There are a few wires that can come out too. You will certainly have to re-locate the battery to the wheel well or the back end will be all over the place.

Edited by Unheard

Looking good, there is something very satisfying about stripping a car. I would love to know how much weight you have removed already.

There are a few wires that can come out too. You will certainly have to re-locate the battery to the wheel well or the back end will be all over the place.

Hehe yeah it was quite satisfying, I was planning on weighing it all to get a rough idea. I'll do that on the weekend and post up the results.

I'll have the fire extinguisher and battery somewhere, wasn't sure how far back to go with them I've seen a few people putting them in place of the passenger seat

• 2 weeks later...

We made a bit more progress today and were unfortunately a bit slack in taking pictures, today our aim was to remove the dash and sound deadening

Removed a few bits and pieces

IMAG0054.jpg

Coming out!!

IMAG0056.jpg

Finally it came out!

IMAG0058.jpg

This is with everything else still in place and just the dash removed

IMAG0059.jpg

And then everything else removed (nearly)

SDC10387.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

An overview shot

SDC10379.jpg