Bmc Air filter's

Dare

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one, its very clean inside after 3 months.

Its amazing, truly amazing. It seems to make top of rev range smoother, not sure about power gains but supposed to be some. Its main asset is its amazing roar, it has the best noise and when you are used to it you can make it sing. a great investment

as for grit/etc guess it depends on where u locate cold air feed but i think filtration is very good.

Since having my head and inlet polished my car runs horrible with the standard inlet box and filter. BMC makes it run so sweet and like TDW said it really sings above 5000rpm.

Mine has been on 3 months (about 6000miles) and even has my custom breather mod fitted and its still clean inside. No problem as far as i can see.

if you lived somewhere dusty or durring the summer it might suck in more dust than the standard system, as long as your checking your oil and change it when it's dirty there shouldn't be a problem.

its impossible I think. Gargoil had a good go but too many pipes and cables in the way.

You could wrap it in heat protective stuff - that might get rid of some noise. before you judge its noise go in a car. normal driving doesnt make it sound too loud, and motorway is fairly quiet anyway.

mine roars at `1-2000` rpm from low rev pick up in say third - sounds just like a scooby

i was wondering about this....can you not use some kind of samco / alu tubing and DIY magic to mount is further away from the engine and at the same time create a decent cold air feed?

I had a pipercross with cold air feed in my arosa, it sucked loads of dust and sand (live by the sea) in to the engine & bay.....wasnt too much a problem i dont think cos changed the oil every 4k. anyone used just a replacement element?

Any thing is possable, but I dont think anyone knows how to do it... yet.

Easy enough to sort out the cold air feed though, if I remember seeing Chris's, he'd enlarged the standard feed as it was something silly like an inch and half through the bumper!

when mine eventually gets done i want it to look so good it looks standard....no loose ends or bits of different coloured hose everywhere.....u could probably get a custom bracket made up (or do it yourself if u can get near a milling machine) to mount it near the front of the bay securely.

But how are you going to keep the engine heat away from the air as it goes to the throttle body?

This is the problem, weather the filter is in front or at the back, the pipes have still got to go around the hot engine to the back of the bay.

yeah i think your right snoop....i was thinking the more direct the air can jet in....the cooler its likely to be cos its not spending time in warm tubing or pipes. the other thing is the materials used....alu ubing will obviously heat up very quickly and then warm the air going into the filter so thats out. plastic carbon or even just samco are probably some improvement, and a heatshield would probably help quite a bit too.

I could be really wrong here but I cant see samco hoses being enough.

They will be an imprtovment but mo where near dense enough to keep out the heat.

I heard on a Amercian forum a year or so ago that someone used some sort of air craft pipeing for his Turbo oses as the samco hoses kept splitting due to the heat... I'll see if I can find the forum, its been some time..