Anyone with experience of tuning an Arosa SDi?

mr_pink_78

Hiya, I'm James, new to the world of the Arouser.

Just bought an old and slightly battered Arosa SDi for an alternative project - was wondering if anyone on here has any experience tuning these bad boys?

I know I won't get big power, but I fancied a bit of go kart style fun so am gonna lower it, I can find links on tinternet for chipping, but can't find anything about air intakes or exhausts, manifolds etc. Has anyone got any nice links to suppliers that they don't mind sharing please?

Many thanks!

Jimmy the Pink

Apparently there's a few things you can do that make quite a difference.

A bloke called Dubya had one and tuned it a bit. He wrote up a guide, but then deleted all his posts when he left the forum. :( His old SDI is for sale on here now, but it says the engine is standard. Hmmmm.

Thanks for your replies.

Will look into the BMC air filter.

See I quite like the micro hatch style go kart feel - but finding the SDi a little nose heavy and high at the mo. It's quite a tall car for its wheel base so I think lowering could be a cheeky move. However I fitted gas suspension to my 300zx TT and coilovers to my second supra and it's not all that great for british roads! So I reckon some shorter springs for now whilst I get the timing belt and fluid/filter servicing and brakes (all booked for next Friday) and bodywork sorted - need a nice black bonnet, front wings, passenger wing mirror, drivers rubbing strip and both door cards. Any links for these parts appreciated as findapart is not helping!

The SDi is a nice torquey car - 0-40 is brisk and low revving, really enjoying it. I think a little bit more pep (chip and breathing) and some decent handling and a spruced body with a lovely bit of servicing from my mechanic who does my high powered stuff normally - Jim's Garage in Margate - and I might get somewhere - it's just I.m having trouble with the breathing, bodywork and suspension!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks again,

Mr Pink

Edited by mr_pink_78

I guess this guy called Dubya - if his car is now standard it's either had an engine swap or it only ever had bolt on stuff on it that's now unbolted - or it's not standard!

I guess I'm only really looking to make the car balanced and fun. The front is a bit heavy due to the engine - even lowering won't solve that if this is the characteristic, I guess I could try to find a lighter bonnet to compensate - don't know if anyone has a link? I'll post you a pack of chilli peanuts if you do.

Or are all these cars a bit nose heavy?

Chipping should push the torque up to 100lb/ft ish which is not bad for a car with only a tonne in weight and delivering that torque at a couple of thousand revs! Liking the fact that I don't have to go all high speed illegal to enjoy the drive.

I think at the weekend I might try to make a cold air ram for the car - using a generic cone filter and some halfords pipes and jubilee clips. Mama.

Oh yes, that was what I was going to ask - lowering - I've seen lots of info on here for coilovers, but seeing as I don't want to spend £400+ making the car lower I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for simple lowering springs? The dampers are in trouble anyway so might as well finish them off, whilst I'm saving up for a decent fast road setup! Again, a packet of (unopened) chilli peanuts could be yours.

Thanks for your patience in reading my ramblings.

Mr Pink

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 1.7SDi arosa

I have been reading through other topics and apparently tuning isn't any good =/

Looking for a air filter for mine, once i took the standard one off it gave a nice ROAR!! =]

I also would appriciate someone with a bit of experiece to give suggestions on engine mods

Cheers

i stripped mine out added a cage and two buckets and added coilovers, but now ive left the car to rot as i now get my fun from an Evo 6

• 2 weeks later...

Sort out a decent air filter.

Strip as much weight as you can.

Theres some trumpets that you can also remove, whcih apparently gives some extra power.

If you want to go extreme engine building, then the bottom end is the same as one of the Mk4 diesel engines (can't remember which one!).

I've found a chip which modifies the fuel pump signal, have chucked it on and it's increased low torque, but no noticable high end increases.

Found a K&N replacement air filter (not cone, actual replacement insert), thinking about putting one on but unsure it'll make much difference - contemplating building a CAI instead - but not done this for a deisel before - is there anything I need to consider?

Thanks for tip about the bottom end - I'll look into that one.

Cheers,

James

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ArosaSDI - you in Minster? I'm in Birchington. Let me know if you want to meet for a cheeky pint, and I'll ask permission from the missus.

Now then, I just ordered some nice new PI 40mm lowering springs to destroy my dampers.

But I'm looking for some braided brake hoses for the front brakes and cannot find anything even close. Anyone got a linky for Pinky, please?

Thanks,

Mr Pink

• 2 weeks later...

guide price would be??????????

Not sure what its worth, plus it would'nt come with carbon bucket seat that is on the drivers