The Law

BenLAST

So what is the Law on this? I've done some research into it, looked on many forums but can't find anything in solid text.

The reason i ask. I was pulled last night because of my plates as i stupidly forgot to replace them with the standard ones after this weekend. Fair enough, £60 fine and a slap on the wrist. However, the cooper pointed out my wheels and wanted to give me another £60 fine plus 3 points. I asked what the law was on this, and asked whether the law was that the tread has to be covered when looking from a birds-eye view. As soon as i said this he seemed to go off on one and look for everything. To be fair, i got away lucky with a £60 fine, as the front tints are darker than they should be which he pointed out, and there was tape across my headlights (which i ripped off there and then as i forgot about that also).

What i want to know though, could the officer have given me 3 points for the wheels? The tread is fully covered, however the side-walls and rim stick out a fair bit. I want to know for future reference, as if i get pulled again for it, i have a case to argue, or not.

Ta in advanced.

The treaded part of the tyre can't protrude past the bodywork when looking at the car from above, sidewall is ok though if your tyre is out of manufacturers specification on fitment then it is also illegal so over stretched would get you points too.

At lunch, i shall find some pictures when Photobucket opens up and shall poost a picture. The wheels i'm running at the moment are nothing compared to what i've seen on some cars, but then again its all down to the cooper thats pulled you. I think some tuck could be in the pipeline rather than poke now. Perpperpots here i come.

Ive been pulled in my mk4 not to long ago for my rims poking they tried to give me 3points and a £60 fine i said can you explian or prove there illegal and they couldnt so i wouldnt let them give me the fine (wasnt cheaky in anyway lol) i basicaly said how can you give me a fine for something you can not prove, it was ment to go to court this was over a month ago and i still havent heard anything so they now havent got a leg to stand on.

There i no laws on stretch tyres yes there manufacturers guidlines but they do not say you cannot mount certain tyres to wheels trust me ive researched it

Same with poke as long as the tred is in the arch they cannot do anything

how would this work on old suzuki's etc theyre wheels were always sticking ou tof the arches,,

or ariel atoms?, yes they do have fenders on th etop of the wheels but there is still plenty of tread in front and rear of it?

its a very grey area..

how would this work on old suzuki's etc theyre wheels were always sticking ou tof the arches,,

or ariel atoms?, yes they do have fenders on th etop of the wheels but there is still plenty of tread in front and rear of it?

its a very grey area..

i guess theres a few wierd sort of grey areas like that.

like you can fail an mot for having headlight washers that doesnt work, but you can take them off and breeze through!

its the same with rear wipers to

its a very grey area..

From what i've read, the tread must not be visable from a birds eye view of the car. Meaning anything in front/behind the fenders are ok.

And thanks for the last comment :huh:

Has anybody seen photos of the black lupo that had the checkered front corner on the bonnet and checkered 13x10 rear and 13x9 front wheels on it? A girl around here has just bought that and has been given 14 days to change the wheels and given a form that needs to be stamped by an mot centre.

I think its because the tread is visible from the top.

well then technically you could make up some sheets of bendy plastic to stick to the arches that just out as far as the tread, on the way to shows etc if you only run excessive wheels at shows etc

Yep, exactly right!

Like Berg Cup arches on old polo's, they just have to go over the wheels, same as the mud guards on a trailer :)

Has anybody seen photos of the black lupo that had the checkered front corner on the bonnet and checkered 13x10 rear and 13x9 front wheels on it? A girl around here has just bought that and has been given 14 days to change the wheels and given a form that needs to be stamped by an mot centre.

I think its because the tread is visible from the top.

Thats my mates old Lupo. He never had any problems with it around here.

Did she buy it from a guy in Leighton Buzzard? If so, she could have bought it for a grand cheaper the week before.

And they're 13x8's on the front.

Edited by BenLAST

Thats my mates old Lupo. He never had any problems with it around here.

Did she buy it from a guy in Leighton Buzzard? If so, she could have bought it for a grand cheaper the week before.

And they're 13x8's on the front.

I dont know her so I'm not sure, heard she paid £3.5k for a 1.0 though so probably.

• 3 weeks later...

i guess theres a few wierd sort of grey areas like that.

like you can fail an mot for having headlight washers that doesnt work, but you can take them off and breeze through!

its the same with rear wipers to

yeah that's because if you have it it HAS to work, if you don't then it doesn't matter. As long as it's not something you need by law such as front lamps, brake lights etc etc then it can be safely taken off.

for instance, i have no rear bench in my mk1 but i have the rear backrest on which has integrated seat belts. there are no clips for them to clipinto just now. so to pass an MOT i will have to either put the clips in, or take the backrest out.. i DON'T have to put the bench in for either option. If i put the bench in i would HAVE to put the rest and the seatbelts and clips in though.

you don't need a rear wiper but you do need a working front wiper and spray (filled or you'll fail on it not being operational due to having no water).