Central Locking Kit

Skezza

Hello,

I did a search for VW Lupo central locking and found a post here, but it was a little out of date and the links had died. I just wondered if anyone else had fitted a own central locking kit into a Lupo. I was looking at these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-REMOTE-KEY...id=p3286.c0.m14

I just wondered what it entails. I really don't fancy chopping any trim etc. If its a bit too much, I might just give it a miss. The 106 never had central locking, so I can live without it ;) ;)

Also, I assume this is just a safety feature, but the passenger door always requires two pulls of the handle before it opens (even when it isn't locked), would the central locking kit mess around with this etc?

• 1 month later...

Hello, I fitted an aftermarket Central locking kit that meant for the Lupo, I bought it off ebay, It takes about 4 hours to fit, it doesnt involve cutting any trim, basically to start off, take off the upper door card on the driver side, their is an actuator and metal rod that bolts onto the old lock rod that is their, it takes a while to get it right and line it up correctly so the door card will sit back in place and also that it wont affect the door cable running across. Once I lined up the actuator and had the metal rod shortened and bolted on to the old door lock rod, i connected it up to a battery to ensure its working before i bolted the actuator into the door. once I had it lined up, I drilled one hole in the inner door frame which cannot be seen, its hidden by the door card, i then bolted the actuator on and took out the connections. I then started on the passenger door, it gets quite easy at that stage as you know exactly what to do. Again i tested it off a battery just plus and negative wire to connect to ensure it works before putting the door cards back on. Them door cards be careful taking them off, as clips snap easily. Once the actuator mechanisms are bolted on correctly and working once you connecct a battery up - put back the door cards. Then its time to run the wiring.

The lupo is really easy for this as the bottom of the dash board has plently of space to run a cable along and tie them to other wires their to make it tidy. To start off - below the driver side footwell, tape up the top of the cables, feed them up above where the bonnet opener is, pull out the rubber at side of door, feed them up into that, remove lower door card where speaker is, put your hand up and feed cable through, pull cables through, and connect them to actuator wires that are hanging down, simply plug each one in, put door card back, put rubber between pillar and door back, then run the cable across for the passenger side, run neatly under dash, tie strap the cables onto other cables their, again feed cable up from passenger pillar footwell, remove rubber from passenger pillar to door, feed cable in, remove passenger lower door card, feed cable in, connect to actuator wires hanging down, simply connect. tidy up all things loosened at this stage. then the connecting to live wire time. Remove plastic holder below the steering wheel, remove covers below steering wheel and above so that the steering column is visible. the central locking has to be connected to a constant live, I seen a big red live wire out of the ignition, i pulled this out carefully, gently pulled some of the plastic back and carefully joined up by live to it and wrapped it carefully back into place. Then the earth i simply connected to a metal bolt just beside the bonnet puller, i just pulled out the plastic behind the bonnet puller and loosened the bolt and tightened it back again with the earth wire connected. Then waited in anticapation, pressed that bottom and it WORKED. !! alot of work it may sound, but its worth it, no more opening the door with the key, i got two key fobs, i cant seem to locate the item on ebay now, it was for cars without central locking, im sure they are just out of stock, as i bought the item during the summer. When you recieve the box their is no instructions and it looks immpossible to connect, but really its not that bad, just have patience and do it correctly !!!!! Hope this helps, sorry for having to write an essay on it !!!

Edited by kmurphy

• 3 months later...

Hi, thanks for the great write up on the central locking kit, I have just bought one of these after market kits, any chance of a picture of where the actuators go as I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to work it out. No worries now I have sorted it, Thanks