Misfiring/loss of power?

Hi! :D

I haven't been on the forum since forever ago! I can't get on forums at my new workplace (which is a bit of a bummer!), so I don't have much time for t'interweb anymore :( I will try and get on more, though because I miss this forum!! :(

I have a bit of a problem with my car. It's an '05 Lupo 1.0 SE with just under 15,000 miles and it appears to be misfiring and the power isn't there when I accelerate to move off. It kind of goes, then drags, then goes again. I really don't know how to describe it. And last week the revs dropped to nearly nothing and I had to keep the revs high to keep the car moving and it was making a knocking noise and the car itself was shaking! I had her serviced in March and was told she would be having a full service; my partner checked the spark plugs (as he initially thought this was the problem) and they were black. I phoned the VW garage and they said the service I had paid £180 for was just an oil and filter change, and if I'd wanted the spark plugs changing I would be expected to pay in excess of £235. I was not a happy bunny. My partner cleaned up the spark plugs and he said that it didn't look as though they had ever been changed since I bought the car (July 2006). Put the plugs back and she does run a little bit better, but not a lot so he's going to change the HT leads next. The check engine light is on as well :(

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what it might be? I'm not driving it at the minute until I know what's definitely wrong with it, because I am a bit of a wimp and if it stopped at the traffic lights or something I would just die! :huh: So luckily I have my motorbike to keep me mobile for the time being :)

If anyone could offer some help and advice I would be very, very appreciative!!

HUGE thank you's in advance!!

Em xx

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much, guys! Turns out it was the coil pack and HT leads :( The car had gone in to limp mode (?) so the guy had to redo the ECU as well :( But she's back up and running again now and is running great!!! :D

Thanks so much for all of your help!! I really appreciate it!!

Em x