The Pea! Wedding Car?! Pg. 9

veedubdude

Thanks guys :)

Jowey - That's what I was going to do, but then I remembered the new bolts I have to rebuild them have black heads, so Im going to stick with the black inners too.

Small update - She's running once again, started straight up, and now starts straight away from hot or cold, whereas previously it would struggle to start sometimes, or cut out after running a short time. Havent tested compression yet, but will do to check everything is as it should now be with the new rings. No blue smoke now either, which hopefully means the new stem seals have also solved that problem!!

Wheels are well underway, and have just ordered a set of 155/55/14 which should give a subtle stretch. Then once fitted I can finish the flare on the rear arches (well make sure it is enough!!) and also flare the new front wings to match the rears.

And then it is very close to MOT time :D

Pics to follow...

Thats interesting about the pistons.

New ones look alot like the GTi piston, infact i woudnt be suprised if its the same design, teflon coated skirts and a smaller skirt.

Black and decker workmate to hold the head whilst working on it..... exactly what i did! works a treat dont it!

Looking good, i like the paint choice on the cam carrier!

John

Yeah I remember when I first swapped the 1.4 pistons out for the GTi internals the pistons are very similar, but the GTi ones seemed alot 'beefier'. Nice spot :P

B&D workbench is the only way sometimes, lol!

And the pictures I promised... didnt really have many pictures from reassembly, apart from these showing more detailing in the matt metallic grey:

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

I had some exhaust wrap spare so thought Id wrap the standard mani to keep it looking good, may add 0.25bhp too if Im lucky, lol.

:)

• 1 month later...

Lovely to see this...same colour as mine, which I crashed on Friday. (sob)

But I'm getting everything I need from a class breaker's in Worksop for a bargain price so mine should be back rockin soon too. (YAY)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks jonny, have decided to go away from the stripped out theme as if I keep her she will be a daily!

Update with some progress... Managed to *nearly* finish reassembly today! Waitig on a few bolts from VW, then need to paint rear valance black, and its nearly ready for the MOT!!!

Amazingly its nearly a year Ive had this now, and what started as a cheap daily is now a more expensive daily! So...

When I got her -

DSC_0127.jpg

And today -

DSC_0423.jpg

The paint hasn't been touched since it was sprayed, so need to wet/dry and cut it down when I get a chance! Saying that though Im really happy how its come out considering its my first full spray job! Looking forward to being able to drive her soon again (hopefully!) :D

Comments appreciated, its been a long slog :P

Edited by veedubdude

Cheers bud! Yeah tyres where meant for the compo splits earlier in this thread, but put them on those alloys to get it through the MOT. The fact it is at standard ride height, and no spacers with pulled rear arches = complete stance fail. Will sort that when Ive got the MOT though ;)