The Pea! Wedding Car?! Pg. 9

veedubdude

GTI's are pretty good on fuel if you take it easy on the motorway, they seem to be better than Sports.

Oh, and good work! Nice to see it being all fixed up!

Edited by Philplop

Well this one will split opinions... I cant afford to do the engine and pay to get the car sprayed. If I try and do a gloss finish on the path it will look shocking. So; the answer for me is looking like satin, and I dont mean satin green! The pea needs to transform into a new car, I just don't think Ill feel like Ive actually moved it on or made it mine, unless I do something serious...

• 3 weeks later...

No fresh pictures at present, started a new job which Im pretty much working 12 hour days at the moment, but hoping to get back in the lupo in the next few weeks.

Im thinking satin black with one fantasia green (original colour) stripe off centre, but Im not sure yet...

Glad it's still making some progress. I'd loved to have seen him resprayed in original fantasia green though :(

Look forward to seeing what you decide.

• 1 month later...

No updates at present as have been busy with other bits and pieces, but I hope to have her back on the road in the next few weeks, so there will be more progress pics soon. The main thing Ive been trying to decide on is the engine... Im going to strip it down to confirm whether its a worn block or worn stem seals. If it is leaky stem seals then Ive got another head to go on it with sport cams already fitted, and couple that with a remap and the other bits already on her (exhaust and filter) and she should go ok for now. If its the block then Im not sure what to do as money is getting tight atm!!

I was set on putting the turbo GTi lump in her, but at an estimated £2k of parts and setting up left, I reckon I could 1.8T her for that and leave the other engine in the golf as is. However, I dont have the time or money at this present moment and I want her back on the road.

Eugh, Im hoping it is the stem seals so I have a plan of how to go forward.

Updates to follow soon... :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so! Finally got started on her, and got a few weeks off work to get her finished, pretty much solid work on getting the Pea done!

Not got pictures yet, but so far Ive got the engine out and stripped it down. Reason for the smoking is due to worn pistons and 'rings. So, Ive ordered new rings and a full new set of gaskets etc etc. Ive got some pistons to replace these with from my other 1.4 engine, which had done about 40k on them and are in excellent condition. So the original 1.4 will be staying in this one!

Paint plans - The body will be staying fantasia green, (how can it not with its heritage!) the engine and all under bonnet parts are going to be detailed in black wrinkle VHT, with polished or fantasia green bolts. (Not quite decided which yet!) The compomotives are also going to have black wrinkle centres with a polished dish. And to bring everything together the dash inserts and any other little bits and pieces in the cabin are also going black wrinkle finish.

Will update as progress happens, if she isn't 95% finished by the end of January I'll be disappointed though ;)

I would post some pictures of progress but this new 3 mobile internet thing Im using is the most absolutely crap in every way piece of ####. So I cant at present.

However in words: I only got a few hours work in today, which mainly saw the gearbox out of the car, which is now left degreasing overnight ready for a good clean up tomorrow.

Pictures might follow?!

I'd love to see some pictures. It's SO nice to hear this is being put back to it's former glory. :)

Edited by Amber

Finally some pictures!!

So engine out, lots of parts gathered up to be painted black wrinkle, and lots of cleaning done! Spent all day from 7.30 - 4.30 cleaning the gearbox and the engine bay, as well as removing a few small tiny bits and pieces.

Will let the pictures form the last two days do the talking: (Excuse bluriness, damn camera phones in low light!)

DSC_0077-1.jpg

DSC_0079-1.jpg

DSC_0080-1.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0083-2.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

Tomorrow will be prepping all the bits and pieces for paint... more fun!

Finally got some parts through today as well, just waiting on a piston ring set, and the black wrinkle paint, and soon will be back together hopefully!

Andy :)

Edited by veedubdude

• 3 weeks later...

Well its not finished by the end of Jan, but its moving on and should be ready for MOT in a week or so, maybe, lol. The engine is mostly back in baring a few accessories like alternator bracket, power steering pump, intake manifold.

The black wrinkle paint was an absolute arse to cure properly, so the engine has been detailed with gloss black and matt metallic grey. Everything has been rubbed down and had a lick of paint to bring the engine bay up to standard. Started work on the wheels too, had some custom spigots made up for them so they fit the centre bore properly. Also found some centre caps that fit the centres of the wheels, only downside is they're 'Enkei' branded, but looks alot better with them!

Pics to follow...

Pics as promised...

DSC_0130.jpg

New piston and rod left, against old on right. New pistons and rods are from a later 2003 engine, code BCA. These are a direct replacement for the AHW parts. These have cracked rods which are beefier than the old ones, and a much chunkier piston design. Cant remember the exact measurements now, but they were quite a bit thicker considering they're from the same type of 1.4 16V 75bhp engine!

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

Checking the head for wear, and as is a common problem on these engines, the stem seals were shot; above shows a new one next to an old one!

DSC_0177-1.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

After a lick of paint main part of engine goes back in...

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

And new spigot ring fitted, along with centre cap. I now need to strip down the centres properly, then repaint the recesses black, followed by a full polish of the spoke faces and the dishes!

Getting there slowly...