The Pea! Wedding Car?! Pg. 9

veedubdude

Great to see all the progress being made and that it's gone to a great home that's giving plenty of TLC :) long live the pea!

After a random find this morning, Ive been looking over all the past Club Lupo history of the pea. And I have come to a conclusion of sorts about the person responsible for the bodging of the pea!

Behind the front bumper is some masking tape with the old registration plate number written on! Which means the work may have been carried out 4 years ago or before... So unless the original Nomiloo club lupo owner had a smash and didn't tell anyone, it looks like when she got it from up in Aberdeen the respray work had already taken place! Which fits with the story of why the previous owner to that may have let it go for whats described as 'cheap' on ebay, in the old threads.

Well that's where the trail ends... Without tracing the previous owner before Nomiloo, which is something I wont be doing!!

Useless information for you all :)

Holy hole in the floor pan batman !

Glad the pea is getting some loving. I knew he was bad but .. seriously never thought the rust was quite that extreme :|

OPS - tried to PM you back this morning, but your inbox was full!

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I feel like I have been trusted by Club Lupo to help the Pea! Lol

Im hoping to have her back on the road in 6-8 weeks time, which is why Im getting on with it ASAP. I do intend to use the Pea as a daily, so she cant be off the road for long! Im still undecided about the engine... Ive been offered a GTi engine by a local scrappers for £350. Coupled with the custom exhaust and filter, and a remap on the 1.4 16V ECU she would probably be pushing 130 - 135? And with the 6 speed-box I have sitting in the garage that would top off the track-theme nicely for now...

The other part of me is saying to rip the lupo GTi engine out of the golf which has had the money spent on it already, and whack that in the lupo. But then the golf will literally be a rolling shell, and considering its only just been resprayed seems like a bit of a waste...

Then is the thought of 1.8T... But realistically I dont think the budget will stretch to that...

What do I do?? Vote to follow...

Gti engine :), going to cost you a fair amount for a full spray (unless you know the right people!?)

so for now id drop the gti lump in, plenty quick enough for now and for a daily, and cheapish to run,

unless you have deep pockets and fancy the 1.8T , would be awesome!

Ok so a little update! The engine is no further along as such, as Im just not sure what to do...

Nothing too much has been done on the car because everytime I get a day off its been raining! Grrr!

Been busy on CAD sorting out a design to get the wheels fitting. At the moment there is no spigot rings, and ordinary plastic ones will not fit. Couple this with the need for a centre badge and a spacer, and I decided to roll it into one piece...

FinishedSpigotSpacer1.jpg

FinishedSpigotSpacer3.jpg

FinishedSpigotSpacer4.jpg

So these will slot in from behind the wheel like a normal spacer, but will also give a centre cap, and 5mm spacer! Just need to get a price from the local engineering place now, hopefully shouldnt be too much!

Also ordered two new wings and the indicator/grill surround from VW. Couldn't find many in scrap yards so decided to go nice and new!

Hopefully get back out to the car tomorrow...

:)

Edited by veedubdude

Yee-haa! Managed to get my welder mate to sort out some time to come up and sort out some bits on the pea! So the bodywork plans have changed a little bit... Not only will the holey sill get sorted, but there'll be a few 'modifications' to the bodywork and interior too ^_^

Amongst other things Ill be looking for a badgeless grill, but no more clues to what else might be done!

More to follow after the works been done in a few days ;)

Well today has been a long day... Picked up the wings from VW and then straight to it...

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

Bodywork progress consisted of getting the roof aerial hole, boot handle, badge, and LED brake light welded up:

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

Followed by the hole in the sill, and the side repeater holes in the new wings:

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

Then we got the rear turret bar in, with some captive nuts to attach the harnesses to. This should also help with the next stage of lightweightness!

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

The bonnet notch was also welded up:

DSC_0256.jpg

Followed by part of the front wing mount. Something has pushed the mount right back, here you can see the comparison between drivers side and passengers:

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

This had actually ripped the weld that holds it onto the chassis leg, so this was re-welded.

I then fitted a new petrol cap that actually came with the car! The old one was very distorted and did not fit properly!

DSC_0236.jpg

Removed the side strips, and as Ive heard before I wasn't expecting it to be pretty... Below you can see where spray work has been carried out on the passenger side door and rear wing. Its been blended well, but the colour match is awful! When it was sprayed they just masked around the old rub strips!! :o

DSC_0243.jpg

And some random shots part way through the day:

DSC_0250.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

Somehow we also managed to smash the rear window! Dont know what happened, but we're assuming it may have been some bits of hot metal from welding landed on the rear window stressing it, and then when a door was shut... Smash! The welding hasn't distorted the rear panel as initially we thought it was that!

DSC_0249-1.jpg

Now the next job to get onto is a skim of filler and decide on the way forward in terms of spraying her! Getting there slowly :)

Thanks guys, starting to feel like Im getting somewhere now!

On the engine side of things, Ive had a spanner thrown in the works, just moved to a Northampton branch, but still living in Coventry, so I need something that'll give half decent MPG for the 80 mile drive each day. The thing is can I justify that a GTi engine will give the same MPG as a 1.4 16V 75bhp...? Im really trying hard to justify it, lol! I mean if I dont need to push the engine as much to accelerate faster, ill waste less petrol! :huh::lol: