The Pea! Wedding Car?! Pg. 9

veedubdude

Well I was drawn to this website for information on the GTi engines due to my mk4 golf project which some of you may have seen in my other thread:

DSC_0041.jpg

But since being over here Ive grown to like the lupo more and more... So the first one that appeared on the drive was for the other half to learn to drive in/ for when she's passed her test. She's been named 'Lucy Lupo':

DSC_0129-1-1-1.jpg

However I have been forbidden to touch and modify in any way what-so-ever, which left me wanting another lupo to get stuck into. After searching around for a few weeks for something that needed some work, I couldn't find anything in the right price bracket... so when the opportunity arose to buy one of the most renowned lupos and do 'my thing' to it I couldnt say no! So here starts another page to the infamous life of 'the pea'!

This is how she stands now after getting her home...

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0128-1.jpg

Im still deciding exactly what route to go down with her. I loved what davidp did with her, I think the tramonts set it off perfectly. So the first thing Ill be adding is a set of splitties, 14" to be precise, once being finished refurbed... These have been nestling in the back of my garage waiting for the right project!

100_1335.jpg

Im still undecided on what colour to do the centres, or to go fully polished with black inners.

Then the decision is whether to go 'Race-pea', or 'I.C.E-pea'.

Along with the normal styling routes it needs alot of attention to the bodywork and general driving areas... Driving home in the rain last night it felt twitchy and unsettled. So Ill be stripping down all of the front to see whats going on there, but with 120k im guessing some nice new bushes and a wheel alignment should help masses!

The engine is smoking which Im hoping is the stem seals, in which case the head off the golf will take place on this with a set of lupo sport cams, and another remap to see what the difference is. The thought has been rattling inside my brain to go 1.8T, but maybe in the future, funds are extremely limited right now!

So I hope you guys will enjoy the next chapter of the pea! More to follow... ;)

Edited by veedubdude

Brilliant to see it's gone to a home that'll give it some TLC :) was worried the pea was truely a gonner when I saw David was gonna break him! Look forward to the progress :)

Thanks guys - Ill make sure she gets some lovin'!

Dann - Yeah that was me, and yours was looking simply stunning, nice work!

I was thinking about going green/white but I dont want it to look to similar to others, as I remember seeing a few which are green/cream. The other option is matt black/green. But Im just not sure that will look good enough...

The dilemma Im having is that I know I should keep it green... But with the work to get it looking mint again, would it be as easy to go for a colour change, hmm.

Dont worry, the pea can be fixed! I was looking through some of your old build threads of it, you really had it looking immense! I hope I can get it back to that level :)

I hope so matey, you sound determined so i know its in good hands, I must admit it is very sad looking at the pea in this current state....

Well, today I got a good few hours to start work on the pea. First thing I did was to give a good look over the car, and do some more tests on the engine to find the exact problem with it.

Well, wheel off and I was surprised to find this...

DSC_0132.jpg

What looks like a new wishbone, so Im hoping the terrible handling was caused by a combination of the extremely wet weather and very, very far out tracking... Whilst down in the wheel well area, I also noticed how the ARB has chewed up the bottom part of the turret, where it has been sitting on it due to being so low. The same problem as the polo 6N suffers with, so that will need addressing!

DSC_0147.jpg

Followed by the power steering pipe which has broken off its mounting clip and been rubbing on the bottom of the cooling fan. Must have been like that for a long, long time, as it has worn virtually through the pipe.

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

So whilst I was down the front I then fitted the centre and outer of one of the wheels to check spacer and arch clearance. The arches will need rolling, and looks like I may get away with a 5mm spacer. Im pretty sure Im going to go for a green and white theme, so the centres will be getting painted.

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0137-1.jpg

I then went round the car and decided on action to rectify the outside of the bodywork. The arches will need sorting, and the front passengers side wing replacing, unless I can pull it out. Looks to have been pushed in a good inch or so. Following that, the matt black accents like the fuel flap and boot handle will be returned to whatever colour the body ends up, and the headlight inners will go white to follow the theme.

The sills will need stripping back to see how bad the rust is. Im hoping its just surface, but it may need two new sills, as the front of one looks especially bad.

Some pictures of what Im up against...

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

Next assessing the engine, I started with a compression test. Good on all cylinders, except cylinder 2. It also looks like the gasket has gone around the cylinder one spark plug guide, as cylinder one was full of oil...

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

Dropping a little bit of oil in cylinder 2, and the compression shot up... so its looking more like its part of the piston rings that have gone, bugger. I was really hoping it was head stem seals, but that is now looking unlikely. If the bottom end has gone, then I wont be faffing about rebuilding it, Ill drop a GTi lump in her.

Just another thing I noticed whilst looking around the engine bay...

DSC_0153.jpg

The breather has rubbed right through, on the cable throttle rubber. :blink:

So with a clearer picture of what was required on the outside and engine-wise, I dove into the interior... And more surprises followed!

Guess what this is...

DSC_0181.jpg

The bottom of the wheel well. Underneath the sub box, a hole has been left, which has started rusting and letting alot of crap in. Plans will be to lose the wheel well anyway, so its not a concern!

DSC_0182.jpg

Then taking off the rear panels I was greeted by some nice hacked out holes where speakers must have been fitted in the past...

DSC_0188.jpg

So that will need tidying up for the stripped out look.

And finally I trial fitted one of the seats that will be going in! Decided to rob these form my other car, as its just too nice to track now...

DSC_0199.jpg

Should look nice with the harnesses and the rest of the interior tidied up.

So as you can see the influence here is going to race/track. However it will be a daily, so the dash, heater, and radio will be staying in this one!

Hard work starts here... :)

i'm loving it

im mates with dave and the pea's been to visit me a couple of times

keep it the same shade,

otherwise it wouldnt be the famous pea

high five on taking it on! and re loving it!

Update...

Not got much done today, but starting tackling the badly rolled arches / rust!

The rust one the drivers side sill is far worse than I thought, and will need a patch plate. Also got the front d/side wing off. Judging by the overspray on the back of the arch liner, it looks like a lot of the car has been resprayed at some point. And some flipping tool put a piece of chewing gum over the screw for the wing under the scuttle panel, which resulted in me having to cut the wing seen as the head was also mangled and became even more so trying to get it off... Pfft! The lower bumper was also only held on by two arch liner screws, whilst the rest had quite a few screws missing... Someone at some point really has bodged this car back together.

Apart from that started grinding the rust down, on the drivers side rear wheel arch, and the sill. Also beat out the rear arches to finish the flair so it was straight. Would have preferred not to flare them, but seen as its been started, I wouldn't have been able to get them back to normal without cutting and re-welding which I did not want to do!

The amount of rust on the front wing was amazing, especially considering it looks like its a replacement! Followed by the 2kg of soil caught between the arch liner and body :rolleyes:

So a few pictures to show the progress:

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg