How many valve stem seals

LUKEY BOI

lol i never said i was changing the engine lol im new here dude lol

just got a lupo thats immaculate for 800 cos of these seals that need doing and just needed few tips lol D

What engine?

Give me the year and the engine code and ill get the workshop manual print out for it.

John

i dunno mate its a 1.4 e 75 bhp 1999 so whatever engine this is

well gratefull for the help

Edited by LUKEY BOI

lol i never said i was changing the engine lol im new here dude lol

just got a lupo thats immaculate for 800 cos of these seals that need doing and just needed few tips lol D

Ahh sorry, someone else mentioned it in one of your other threads. Should be a good project to fix it up!

You can do them with the head on but you need special air powered compressor adaptor to keep the valve seated whilst you remove the spring.

Easiest to take the head off.

Ill find the workshop manual tomorrow. if you can get the engine code that would be helpful.

where is the engine code matey :)

would i need special tools if i took the head off ?

nothing to special I don't think, not as bad as a GTI.

You will need a head gasket set, and a set of head bolts??....Casper

you want to be doing the cam belt aswell, unless it's been done recently.

Clean the breather box on the back of the block with the head off and the throttle body.

John.... Do you have ELSA or something else??

Edited by 99hjhm

You will need one of these (there will be alot of info on google how to use it)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chemico-Valve-Grindi...%3A1%7C294%3A50

And also one of these so you can compress the spring valves and remove the collets.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/200mm-8-Valve-Spring...%3A1%7C294%3A50

You will need one of these (there will be alot of info on google how to use it)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chemico-Valve-Grindi...%3A1%7C294%3A50

And also one of these so you can compress the spring valves and remove the collets.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/200mm-8-Valve-Spring...%3A1%7C294%3A50

is this the tool i need if i dont want to remove the head ???

could someone post a guide on how to do this job considering it seems these seals are a common problem ???

I haven't had the head off a lupo, but the valve spring compresser is used when the head is off the engine to remove the valves, also get a torque wrench for the head bolts when you are putting it all back together.

The tool(s) needed to do the seals on the car are very hard to get, and expensive..... it's also very hard to do.

Whip the head off, strip it, change the seals... not that hard really.

Go to halfords, get a manual for a 1998-200? Mkiv Golf and look at the 1.4L 16v engine section, it should give you all the info you need.

I haven't had the head off a lupo, but the valve spring compresser is used when the head is off the engine to remove the valves, also get a torque wrench for the head bolts when you are putting it all back together.

okay mate cheers for all your help i appreciate it will upload pics of me doing it when i do

I've read of people making the tool to hold the valves up by lopping the guage off a compression tester and lashing what's left onto an airline (through a valve to regulate the air flow)

I've got a head in my garage that needs the seals doing but is otherwise fine, so you can do them, then swap it on. Make me an offer (it's still built up as an engine) I don't want much!

nothing to special I don't think, not as bad as a GTI.

You will need a head gasket set, and a set of head bolts??....Casper

you want to be doing the cam belt aswell, unless it's been done recently.

Clean the breather box on the back of the block with the head off and the throttle body.

John.... Do you have ELSA or something else??

cobblers - thats the tool im talkng about, you need approx 6 bar of air pressure to hold the valve up in its seat whilst removing the valve spring.

Id get a set of head bolts and a head gasket. Might aswell do the belt too if youve go spare money.

You can pick up a belt kit for about £90, head gasket is about £20 and a set of head bolts i think is about £30. then the stem seals are about £2-£3 each.

As james has said, its not a simple job, ideally you need to remove the head (which means taking the cam belt off, inlet mani off and exhaust mani off) You have to take the head bolts out in sequence otherwise you can warp the head (ive seen it happen). You do need a few "special" tools, unless you know a friend in a workshop where you can borrow them from id sudjest you think about doing it yourself first.

You dont have to re lap in the valves, if it aint broke dont fix it. Just mark up every valve to each individual port and put them back where they came from and you should be alright. Only if you were changing valves or had compression problems would you need to lap the valves in.

Have you or your old man done anything like this before? If so then you should be fine, if not id be a bit weary of doing it.

James, i have both etka and elsa. Its quite handy at times.

Edited by CasperGTI

I have a crystal ball , i can see this going so so wrong

and the lotto for saturday are 7,15,23,27,34,38

Edited by scotty_82