new member debating on a vts saxo or a lupo gti

lupme_a_boob

tbh I wouldn't get a car that expensive as your first

you are most likely to scuff, scratch or even dent it and after spending 5k on a car you won't be too happy!

a facelift arosa sport, same speed as the zetec S, much better build quality

only group 5 insurance!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your 17 with no no-claims... how the hell are you getting these prices? Mom or Dad as main driver?

na with my dad atm but am getting quated for january for wen i get 1 years no claims in my own name for 1.6 16v gti lupo 6 speed for £1750 on directline fully comp and everythink. :P:D

save 1700 quid and put it towards a car next year when you've got more no claims and your at least 18!

no disrespect but I've never understood young peeps getting the fastest car they can, paying however many thousands for the car, then half the cars value again for insurance!

then theres all the fuel, tax and servicing/maintenance costs on top, that with a GTI aren't low from what I've heard, ok its maybe not that bad on petrol if your sensible, but at 17, i'm guessing you might kane it a little? i know i did lol.

boy do I sound like my own Dad lol.

thats a very good point you should save the nicer car till youve got more experience as you'll pay through your teeth for it and should the nice car get crashed you'll end up paying for it for years ruining your chance of getting a nice car again for a long time i wiatied 5 years before i could get a decent car.

x3

:)

ello im in it or jus sell wen i wid directline, tune da vts to 175bhp. zetec s fiesta with a puma 1.7 wot du has any1 gt a zetec s with a puma engine or jus a zetec s and tell how tunible it is.

Get a Saxo, great little cars.

;)

I never understand why people say Lupo's are slow compared to these cars, unless mine has had a remap I dont know about, there more than capable of keeping up with type r's, beating clio 182's, VTS's and 106 Gtis. Maybe its just me.

I'm gonna say get a VTR. More than fast enough for a first car, a lot more insurable (grp7) and can be had for <£1500 for a goodun.

I had one, loved it, and found the engine a bit more driveable than the VTS engine I put in my Rallye.

You can tell a teenager not to go for the faster type of cars but tbh you may aswell be talking to a brick wall.

My dad told me it would cost a fortune to run a Gti but i didnt listen, I just wanted it!! Its only now, at the age of 22 ive downgraded and bought a cheaper car (only because i have a baby on the way) but having the extra £100 + in my bank helps a great deal.

And ill be honest to the kid. Get a saxo, i dont think you would fully appreciate a lupo.

I never understand why people say Lupo's are slow compared to these cars, unless mine has had a remap I dont know about, there more than capable of keeping up with type r's, beating clio 182's, VTS's and 106 Gtis. Maybe its just me.

Not too sure about this mate.. did you stick with a type r on the move or from a stop/start ? and the clio 182's are pretty nifty don't know what you've been doing to keep up with 1 of them.

unless you've had a go against someone that cant drive !

I've been along side probably 3-4 type r's (the like 51plate model) and one 58 plate one at the lights and they dont start pulling away till 90+. My friend has a clio 182 with a different intake and a cat back stytem on and we're side by side till 100ish and then he starts very slowly pulling away from me, normal clio 182's and the new clio 197's (from a standing start) dont have anything on a Lupo Gti. Same goes for mk3 VR6, Fiesta ST, Ibiza cupra's. Even a 330ci/mk5 gti couldnt loose me and was shocked telling me my car cant be standard.

Im not one of these people that thinks there car is the fastest best thing on the road, however, people really shouldnt under estimate gtis.

Edited by electricpanda

In my experience a CTR should easily handle playing with a Gti unless the driver is poor.

I used to keep up with CTR's in my previous car till ~120 when they started to edge away, and I've beaten a few Gti's without too much struggle in the same car in the past.

to be honest i would get a nice looking 1.4 sport lupo until u have the right money and able to get good insurance on a gti. when i was 18 up until a year ago i had a 135+bhp 106 gti and like electricpanda said mine used to stay ahead ov ctr's etc but at 17 u would be paying over the odds on insurance.

personally lupo's r the boyos i recently sold my tdi and bought a 230bhp ibiza and now i am selling up for a lupo gti. :) . good luck with the searching

Throttle response of a GTI seems to be very poor through the gears.... Fly by wire i guess to blame. 50-70(+)mph is amazingly quick!

Edited by 99hjhm

that can be easily cured with an open filter, the GTi's engine has been designed to be very peaky as i believe it was intended to be used in the super 1600 series.

High compression ratio and vvt that kicks in properly just before 5k is where the engine releases most of its horses. keep the GTi's engine as high as possible and dont let it drop below 4-4.5k combine that with skilfull quickshifting and the car can show a clean pair of heels to more powerful cars. Its also worth adding that the GTi has a very smooth torque delivery peaking at around 3.5 and the power curve keeps climing all the way to the limiter which will cut power at 6900rpm......not to be sniffed at!!

This is one for the more anorak type people but can anyone confirm if the standard cams are a relatively high lift items?

Edited by Toi gulp

This is one for the more anorak type people but can anyone confirm if the standard cams are a relatively high lift items?

My memory is pretty poor, but from what I remember they are supprisenly mild.

There's an old thread somewhere, but I'm on my phone to I'll be damned if I'm looming for it :lol:

What revs do you use in your GTI.... Out of interest.

all of them lol, when i want to get some where i'll make an effort of keeping it above 5k and keep it going to just before the limiter, got this down to an art now i can change up just before the limiter kicks in.

thats a suprise, maybe some high lift cams would release a fiar few more horses then........ hmmm

anyway you have to drive the GTi at full revs really

Guest LupoJoe

Jesus what a reply, iv'e had 4 106's so hope i can help you, my last was a series 2 rallye with a low mileage gti engine conversion, 4branch,decat,supersprint exhaust and a green enclosed filter. Performance wise it would run my lupo ragged, runs 14.8's all day long and i had it stripped with buckets etc, my lupo is a better built car but that doesnt bother me. i ddont see why people need heavy doors just to say' thats quality' thing is, when a vw goes wrong its 10x the cost, bits are all over for 106's and saxo's. Im thinking of going back as i miss the performance side and im massivley into the scene and have a lot of friends on 106owners and rallye register. Its your choice mate but the one thing i can say is sign up to sax-p, and try to lose the text speek, as i know saxo's are slated for being chavy but that is a realy good site by enthusiasts and you'll get slated for typing like that.

Ill leave you with my old rallye :) haha

106rallyemarchclumberpictures065.jpg

always loved the rallye, it looks cool as f***.

There was one in a garden next to my high school and didnt move for years, it started goin green with the moss n crap falling from the tree next to it :(