new member debating on a vts saxo or a lupo gti

lupme_a_boob

ello every one im new to this site and i have a saxo 1.4 atm and i was debating on puting a vts 1.6 16v in it or jus sell the car and get a lupo gti in january wen i get my 1 years no claims bonus wid directline, maybe tune da vts to 175bhp. or even geting a zetec s fiesta with a puma 1.7 conversion wot du think has any1 gt a zetec s with a puma engine or jus a zetec s and tell how tunible it is.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ello every one im new to this site and i have a saxo 1.4 atm and i was debating on puting a vts 1.6 16v in it or jus sell the car and get a lupo gti in january wen i get my 1 years no claims bonus wid directline, maybe tune da vts to 175bhp. or even geting a zetec s fiesta with a puma 1.7 conversion wot du think has any1 gt a zetec s with a puma engine or jus a zetec s and tell how tunible it is.

You are asking the wrong people.

Saxo..... 10 million VTS's or VTR's???? Cant remember which one is what... Who cares, they are common

Fiesta...... Fall apart

Lupo GTI... Can't be compared with the two above.

I wouldn't expect an unbiased Saxo vs Lupo opinion on a Lupo site.

I quite like Saxos if done nicely, but I've only seen a couple; the benefit of the Saxo conversion would be availability of parts and cheapness to fix and maintain.

Lupo GTis are quite expensive to buy and maintain, I and most others love theirs to bits.

:)

Dont bother with a VTS in your 1.4, just buy a VTS.

Guessing you are ~18? Check insurance prices, I would imagine a VTS will be the most expensive of the bunch to insure (excluding the conversions)

Performance wise, I would expect the VTS to be the quickest of the bunch, with the GTI a close second, but the VTS will defnatley handle better out of the box. However, quality and interior wise, the GTI is on another level, as is the kit level. the GTI is also a lot rarer, and gets the right sort of attention.

As standard, the Zetec-S is probably the slowest more on a VTR level. Tuning wise, I know of one that is currently on 140 odd bhp with the usual mods - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthrea...highlight=zetec

A few of my mates have Saxo VTS' and they love them, I know they get slated for being French but quality is just as good as a Lupo in my opinion. I nearly bought one instead of the VR6 but I missed the VW scene too much! Good little cars.

The difference is, for say 4k, you would get an absolutely mint low mileage VTS, or an average Lupo GTi.

I nearly bought one instead of the VR6 but I missed the VW scene too much!

You sad git, you didn't even leave the VW "scene" and missed it.

:(

with elephant you could insure both for £1400 so insurance isn't an issue (lupo gti and saxo VTS)

tbh with you the best thing to do is to test drive a lupo, fiesta and saxo and see what you prefer, they are all extremely different

hopefully one should just stand out to you

I was looking at VTS, GTi and Clio 1.6 16V dynamique for my next car after my 1 yr no claims too

funnily enough the lupo sport was my favourite, yet I never got to properly test drive a GTi

the VTS is very fast, everything is rattle inc. dashboard, most have air filters & exhausts already on, most driven by young people and have scuffs all over

The Lupo was of different quality, nothing rattled, had modern stuff like air-con, electric sunroof, heated leather seats etc.

Clio's have really bad electrics lol, but the looks make up for everything!

The looks of the lupo sold it to me really!

has a nice quick engine which can compare to a lot of cars with bigger engines, yet group 6 insurance

Edited by .Phase

I'm amazed nobody hasn't squirted over a 106GTI... Oh, sorry this isn't Autocar!! 106's are crud!

:huh:

The 106GTi's I've been in were far better than the Lupo GTi with regards to performance. Standard vs Standard, the 106GTi is twice the car when it comes to handling, if it is a little twitchy handling.

The Lupo is just nicer to look at in my opinion, it has a bit more prestige and class to it. The interior is a nicer place to be, bit more roomy.

The Lupo GTi to me is a grown up hot hatch. The 106/Saxo is much more raw in comparison.

Some really blinkered comments on here :(

Edited by LiamD

I'm not saying a 106 GTI is a bad car performance wise or value wise, just 106's in general are cheap, noisy and poorly built. This is Club Lupo. I would rather have a 1L Lupo than a 1.0 106, not because I'm a VW fan, I still want a 205 GTi.

with elephant you could insure both for £1400 so insurance isn't an issue (lupo gti and saxo VTS)

You cannot possibly say how much he could insure them for, just because they are the same ins group doesnt mean they will cost the same.

if you want speed and handling get the saxo, if you want turning head factor get a lupo if you want to be completely disapointed get a zetec s....... i wouldnt bother with a fiesta puma conversion as they are no more powerful than the lupo driving a heavier car.

if your going down the saxo road just buy a vts as i think theyre better than the vtr anyway (power to weight wise, correct me if i'm wrong)

if your going for a fiesta zetec putting a standard puma engine in will be a waste of time as your swapping a zetec with a zetec SE wich are obsolete and the engines are a ticking clock. FRP engine on the other hand is worth doing ( i can back this up) just trying finding the parts though and get your wallet out.

lupo wont win many races, but for build quality strength, safety, rarity it has the upper hand over the other two easily.

Edited by Toi gulp

tbh with you the best thing to do is to test drive a lupo, fiesta and saxo and see what you prefer, they are all extremely different

hopefully one should just stand out to you

I was looking at VTS, GTi and Clio 1.6 16V dynamique for my next car after my 1 yr no claims too

funnily enough the lupo sport was my favourite, yet I never got to properly test drive a GTi

the VTS is very fast, everything is rattle inc. dashboard, most have air filters & exhausts already on, most driven by young people and have scuffs all over

The Lupo was of different quality, nothing rattled, had modern stuff like air-con, electric sunroof, heated leather seats etc.

Clio's have really bad electrics lol, but the looks make up for everything!

The looks of the lupo sold it to me really!

has a nice quick engine which can compare to a lot of cars with bigger engines, yet group 6 insurance

yh mate i think i will do tht i will test drive a zetec s and a lupo gti. oh people rember i am only 17 and have my 1 years no claims bonus in 1 yeas time and i cnt insured in a vts no one unless i stick da engine in myself. what car handles the best.

if you want speed and handling get the saxo, if you want turning head factor get a lupo if you want to be completely disapointed get a zetec s....... i wouldnt bother with a fiesta puma conversion as they are no more powerful than the lupo driving a heavier car.

if your going down the saxo road just buy a vts as i think theyre better than the vtr anyway (power to weight wise, correct me if i'm wrong)

if your going for a fiesta zetec putting a standard puma engine in will be a waste of time as your swapping a zetec with a zetec SE wich are obsolete and the engines are a ticking clock. FRP engine on the other hand is worth doing ( i can back this up) just trying finding the parts though and get your wallet out.

lupo wont win many races, but for build quality strength, safety, rarity it has the upper hand over the other two easily.

yeh cheers man thnks, i cant insurance on a vts thow. im onlly get quated for zetec s and a lupo gti

Lupo gti:---£1750 fully comp everything

Zetec s:----£1700 fully comp everything and this at 18 in january with 1 years no claims.

save 1700 quid and put it towards a car next year when you've got more no claims and your at least 18!

no disrespect but I've never understood young peeps getting the fastest car they can, paying however many thousands for the car, then half the cars value again for insurance!

then theres all the fuel, tax and servicing/maintenance costs on top, that with a GTI aren't low from what I've heard, ok its maybe not that bad on petrol if your sensible, but at 17, i'm guessing you might kane it a little? i know i did lol.

boy do I sound like my own Dad lol.

save 1700 quid and put it towards a car next year when you've got more no claims and your at least 18!

no disrespect but I've never understood young peeps getting the fastest car they can, paying however many thousands for the car, then half the cars value again for insurance!

then theres all the fuel, tax and servicing/maintenance costs on top, that with a GTI aren't low from what I've heard, ok its maybe not that bad on petrol if your sensible, but at 17, i'm guessing you might kane it a little? i know i did lol.

boy do I sound like my own Dad lol.

/quote]

thats a very good point you should save the nicer car till youve got more experience as you'll pay through your teeth for it and should the nice car get crashed you'll end up paying for it for years ruining your chance of getting a nice car again for a long time i wiatied 5 years before i could get a decent car.

volvo 340 turbo ;) ftw.

its called scene points!! Atleast he is actually planning to get insurance, good for him!

On the other hand, I've seen rather to many Clio's, Saxo's, and 106's in trees, gardens and hedges, I wonder why??

I havn't read replies but my mate has a Zetec S with a puma engine and its not as quick as you think, you're going from a 1.6 to a 1.7 is it? Not much point.

Plus you're asking a lupo forum which car to get, im sure we're gonna be biased.