How to install 'pop out rear windows'

Hello, I've been meaning to do this for a short while now but haven't been able to get round to doing it any sooner but here goes anyway :) As the title says this is my step by step (sort of :s) guide to fitting rear pop out side windows to a lupo. In this case my cars shell is a 1999 1.4 Sport varient and I was lucky enough to already have the receving holes with the nuts (or whatever you may call them) in my shell as standard; not all cars have the holes and some have the holes but no nut in there but these can be bought and inserted if there is no hole it is quite possible to just drill your own (in the right place of course :D).

The parts that you will need are as follows as they are not gathered by myself I'm not totally sure if all the numbers are correct but maybe somebody will be able to adjust them if needs be :)

QUOTE (dailydriver @ Oct 22 2005, 06:15 PM)

Spent a bit of time hassling the parts guy at my local dealer. Cost from VAG is 190 big ones.

Part numbers should be;

6X3 847 099 L Side Window x 1 @ £36.05

6X3 847 100 L Side Window x 1 @ £36.05

6X3 847 105 01 C Fastener (catch) x1 @ £21.38

6X3 847 106 01 C Fastener (catch) x1 @ £21.38

6X3 847 145 EB 41 Seal for frame x 2 @ £22.31 each

Plus the following screws etc. (im not sure which are which here as you need more of some than others :s)

N 102 854 02

N 902 521 04

N 905 988 04

N 905 988 04

1) Firstly begin by prising off the plastic trim that surrounds the inside of the window. It may feel hard to get off but if you get a corner and give it some tug or use a screw driver to prise it off it should come away, it feels brittle but actually doesn't seem to be at all.

DSC00407.jpg

2) Once this is off the harder work begins...... You will nedd a decent quality stanley knife as such

DSC00408.jpg

Make sure you have a few spare blades as I went through 4 or 5 of them. Then starting in one corner place the blade between the glass as body work and you will be able to see lots of quite strong black rubber sealant to which you must begin cutting into!

DSC00409.jpg

Run the blade along this sealant over and over again; you do have to use quite a bit of force on the blade to cut it and it does take some time to get through with many many passes over each side!

DSC00410.jpg

NOTE: BE CAREFUL THAT WHEN THE BLADE DOES EVENTUALLY GO THROUGH YOU DO NOT START SCRATING THE EXTERIOR PAINT WORK OF THE CAR AS YOU CUT!!!!

I continued this cutting along all edges except the B pillar as this glue is a little more tricky to get to and is easier to address last untill you've near enough got a claen cut on all three sides.

3) You may find it helpful to prise the glass away from the car with a small amount of force to make cutting the glue easier but be careful not to use to much force and break the galss!!

DSC00414.jpg

This process can be quite tough going on the hands.......:s

DSC00416.jpgDSC00417.jpg

My window looked like something out of a horror film the amount of blood splattered and smudged all over the inside of the glass, lol!

With the one edge still attatched and the others prised away from the car as below

DSC00418.jpg

It is then possible to create enough room to get inbetween the glass and body and begin cutting away the final edge

DSC00420.jpg

With a little bit a leveredge up and down the window should eventually be able to be cut free.....

DSC00421.jpg

DSC00422.jpg

4) It is then neccessary to cut and peel away the excess rubber sealant that still remains stuck to the car; again I was very careful and used a stanley knife, my finger nails and some Autoglym tar and insect remover to remove the excess and very difficult to remove sealant!

DSC00425.jpg

These are a couple of the scratches I managed to carve into the car when cutting the glue from inside :(

DSC00427.jpg

5) Finally time to start installing the new window :) Firstly just push on the new rubber seals making sure you get them on the correct way around with the squidger bits on the outside :s

DSC00430.jpg

6) Then screw the catches that make the windows open and close onto the glass and line the other side of the window up with the holes on the B pillar ready to be screwed in, its handy to have a second person helping here really.

DSC00431.jpg

Use the newly aquired torx screws to attatch the one side of the window to the car but don't tighten fully yet as you may need to adjust the window slightly to get it sitting correctly.

DSC00432.jpg

7) Line the catch up on the other side of the window inside the car and using the slightly smaller torx screws and attatch it to the C pillar (note you will have to remove the piece of interior trim in this pillar before you can attatch the catch; just pull it starting near the top and it will come off.

DSC00433.jpg

8) With this done line the window up by eye on the outside so that it sits straight and true to the rest of the cars lines and then proceed to tighten all of the screws up nice and tightly. Repeat this whole process on the other side of the car and there you go a nice set of pop out windows installed! The passenger side glued proved to be far more difficult to cut through for some reason and took much longer than the drivers side but all together the whole process took me about 4/5 hours :s And the finished result.....

DSC00434.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

Not the best final photos to show them off but it gives you a pretty good idea of what they will look like :)

Thank you for reading and I hope this helps out anyone who is looking to install a set of 'pop outs' to their car :)

Sam.

[Extra Info added by nfbr:]

When fitting the Pop out windows to the lupo, the C-Pillars will have to be either Removed, or changed for the correct ones.

Here are the part numbers for the Correct C-Pillars to suit the Pop Out windows!

Cars without Sunroof:

Grey C-Pillar trim (Left) for vehicles with Hinged rear windows:

6X0 867 241 C 33C

Grey C-Pillar trim (Right) for vehicles with Hinged rear windows:

6X0 867 242 C 33C

Cars with O.E. Tilt/Slide Sunroof:

Grey C-Pillar trim (Left) for vehicles with Hinged rear windows:

6X0 867 241 D 33C

Grey C-Pillar trim (Right) for vehicles with Hinged rear windows:

6X0 867 242 D 33C

** ALL USER GUIDES ARE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OF THE AUTHOR, NOT CLUB LUPO **

Edited by nfbr