System upgrade??

Looking to upgrade the System. Iv'e Got components which ive had for a while (unused). Just Want a single amp to run the lot. Was thinking of something american? (RF, Phoenix gold) Can anyone suggest anything?? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> :?

P.s I don.t really want to use it TRi way. Just something that you can use two channels for the fronts and bridge for the sub.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude trust me, when you think about it, a 10" sub has 10" of cone area.

Obvious really, that 2 x 5" subs have the same cone area as one 10" sub.

You can also take a look at Crystals 8" COMP this is fantastic, but it needs alot of power to move it. So in turn, the amp is going to be more expencive.

How much do you want to spend?

The Crystal is fantastic, Me and Loud Lupo heard one in a 0.6 cuft sealed fibre glass enclosure. He was giving it 400wrms but IMO it could have done with a little more.

It sounded better than any other sub I have ever heard, you wouldnt even know there was a sub.

By that I meen it blended so well with the rest of his system.

The Rockford amp would be fine for the Crystal sub and your comps, the PG looks the same power but if yu look at the volts the amp was tested at (14.4v) you'll never get no where near that sort of wattage.

Its not a bad price though.

Im just not a huge fan of PG amps.

I know nothing of the Rockford amp, all I can comment on is my amp, which seems to have the same componants as that, the power supply is the same. Im really impressed with the 801s but I just cant help thinking the amp seems a lttle expencive.

Sorry forgot to add, if you were looking at the Focals, then the PG would be fine to power them as its 2ohm stable when bridged.

The Rockford isnt.

At 2ohm this will give you 400wrms if you were gonna power the focals.

With the Crystal being a single 4ohm coil, you'll only get 200wrms from the amp.

Dude Im stumped.

I cant find anything with no where near as much power for under £450 never mind £350!

Its all gonna be down to what sub mate.

If you want the Focals, then the PG would be what to go for.

If you want the Crystal then the RF would be needed.

Im stunned theres nothing any cheaper out there.

Id go for the focals mate. Be different. Besides, im a fan of PG amps (sorry andi) They make toss subs but there amps are well solid.

Dude trust me, when you think about it, a 10" sub has 10" of cone area.

Obvious really, that 2 x 5" subs have the same cone area as one 10" sub.

Obvious and very very wrong? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

That would be boring! reallydoesntwork.gif border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Secondly, you're saying that if you have a sufficient number of 5 inch speakers (which we can now see is more than two, but that's not the point here), you can get the same sound as from a 10 inch speaker.

To extend this to the limit, do you think you could get the same sound as Max's sub just by getting sufficient `1-inch` speakers together?

*Hands up*

Never looked at the cones like that.

Drivers of diffrent size will never give the same sound, which if you read through my posts Snoop I have never said it will.

But there is no reason to say that a smaller driver will give a loss in preformance.

The Focals you can get from source Sounds in sheffield.

If theres anyone else out there wants two, he will do me a really good deal on four of them.

Best place to buy the crystal is direct from www.bladeice.co.uk they are the main Crystal supplier.

They supply CAD.

Just called him, he only has the 10" in stock.

But will have an 8" in stock next week.

Call him on 01908 610441 his name is Am

He suggested a sealed box 0.3cuft or a ported box tuned to 30hz at 0.6

I would strongly suggest porting it, the cmp we heard was sealed, ported would be flipping fantastic!