Lupo Show Cage

i'd say it is...my polo has one:

278708250.jpg

267865075.jpg

Custom made in hounslow area i believe, i aquired it from a mate...But i've seen similar on ebay, not for the lupo though...then again, i have heard a saxo/106 cage may fit with modding.

Ignore the crap about show cages, crashes and scaffolding...if you want a show cage, go for it...its exactly that..a SHOW cage, if i wanted a proper roll cage, i would have bought one. :rolleyes:

shame its illegal to drive on public roads with a helmet on, might save you from being pretty fecked up in a crash.

Have you seen the damage in a crash with something as simple as a hard back book on the parcel shelf , id hate to think what damage could be done with cheap steel floating about.

A hard back book isn't bolted down?

And a show cage isnt designed to take the rigours of a crash, it wont even have the fia requested 3mm plate welded in to the chasis so that the cage can be mounted to. Ans will probably be bolted in with 8.8 spec bolts or less through thin sections of the cars body work

My point is i show cage offers as much support as a hard back book on the back shelf yet considerably more danger.

i agree, i would never fit a show cage! a shunt in the back and it could have your head off! BUT! that isn't what this topic is about! she asked where can i get one!

do you know anyone that can weld? if so just knock a few pipes together!

i think it was in fast car last month that i saw a picture of a show cage made of toilet roll tubes and duct tape!? :lol:

For the money i would pay for a full spec rear half loop cage. theres a place in daventry which will make you anything you desire! and not too expensive.

My mate had a show cage in his saxo and it was lighter than a full can of coke! not worth the fitting effort in my opinion

For the money i would pay for a full spec rear half loop cage. theres a place in daventry which will make you anything you desire! and not too expensive.

i think its called rollcenter in daventry

but tbh all thats wanted here is a show cage not an FIA approved full race spec one

im lookin for a show cage as well they look awesome

sanj's polo looks the nuts with his chromed cage

as the guys said , i would get a decent one , the cage may be intended for show use but if you did have a smash in the car ( hope not ) when the force hit the cage the bolts would rip out of the thin body work its bolted to and then you have a steal climibing frame flying about in the car ...

just my tupence worth though ...

the point i tried to make above is that there is a lot of ranting and raving about the cages being safety hazards in a crash, but the point of the show cage is to give it that race look without the added weight...and to be honest, i dont fancy chopping my dash and bits to pieces to fit a full FIA approved weld in cage...just so i can say i have a real cage.

If the car was a race/track car...i'd jump to it, 2 of my friends are in motorsport and i know the dangers of having a cage like mine but it looks good, it was cheap, it matches my rear strut brace and i dont intend on crashing my pride and joy. Hence why i have a lupo as a runaround...

it just depends what you intend to use the car for, if its just shows...then i see no harm in it. If its a road going daily, i wouldn't recommend it...insurance are also funny with it btw. Make sure you check it with them before you go have one made. ;)

you may not intend to crash but can you be that sure of every other driver on the road>, rear end shunt and that cage is gonna come towards your hard pretty damn hard... a half cage that is welded in if odne properly can look just as good as any "show" cage..

I have been in a bad crash, I was knocked out clean,I broke my jaw in two places and crushed my ankle, I spent 3 weeks in hospital, so I know the effects of a crash, you won`t believe the amount of forces that are created in a crash (even at 30 MPH) till you have been there. All i had in my boot was a sub and a tool box, and these were flung from the car, if these were to hit me i would have been dead. My point is that, having a show cage may look good, but if something does happen it would be like a scene from final destination, if your going to do it you may as well do it proper and know that you and your passengers are safe. Im not having ago just my 2p :).

I have been in a bad crash, I was knocked out clean,I broke my jaw in two places and crushed my ankle, I spent 3 weeks in hospital, so I know the effects of a crash, you won`t believe the amount of forces that are created in a crash (even at 30 MPH) till you have been there. All i had in my boot was a sub and a tool box, and these were flung from the car, if these were to hit me i would have been dead. My point is that, having a show cage may look good, but if something does happen it would be like a scene from final destination, if your going to do it you may as well do it proper and know that you and your passengers are safe. Im not having ago just my 2p :).

+1 for sound advice taken from a pretty bad accident.

Hope everythings back in working order

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I feel I need to say my piece about "show cages".

For those of you that don't know me, I have 30 years of top level motorsport experience, I have seen things that I wouldnt wish anyone to see.

"Show cages" are lethal. If the car takes any form of impact on the rear or rear side panel then the inner wheel arch deforms, this is where the cage leg is fastened to. If this was a full true cage then the impact force would be passed through the leg and up across the roof bars and down the opposing front leg. Without this front leg,which show cages dont have, the force moves the roll hoop forwards and down, OVER YOUR HEAD. Believe me, it happens and it is something that makes me want to stop people putting these things into their cars.

You dont have to roll over or have a massive shunt, a small amount of force will do the damage.

My part said. I know people do as they please but do take onbaord the dangers.

Only wanted for showe! reason for ir being a Show cage!!!!

I get everyones points but the fact that it would only be in for shows surly not to bad!

Yeah I get what your say 'you may aswel get a real full cage' but the problem there is money! which I dont have and on a £270 wage a month I wont have in a long time!