Penry's MK1 Project

penry

Ok so here it is. Saw it for sale last june when i was getting the ibiza painted, but at the time i literally didnt have a penny to my name as i hadnt sold my lupo due to being messed about endlessly by some tosser. Jump on to start of march and me and my dad decided we needed a new project because we were bored. So, went for a little spin back to see if the guy still had it and low and behold its in his garage and hes started work on it.

This time i knew i had to have it - so as it stands he's done the rear valance, bought two new wings and a replacement door, brembo discs all round, 60mm lowering kit and leather bucket seats. Plans - sort all the little welding bits that are left, mainly drivers side arch and sill, then hammerite it all underneath, get some coilies because lowering kit isnt low enough, then paint and finishing touches.

Pics:

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Edited by penry

• 3 weeks later...
Ok so here it is. Saw it for sale last june when i was getting the ibiza painted, but at the time i literally didnt have a penny to my name as i hadnt sold my lupo due to being messed about endlessly by some tosser. Jump on to start of march and me and my dad decided we needed a new project because we were bored. So, went for a little spin back to see if the guy still had it and low and behold its in his garage and hes started work on it.

This time i knew i had to have it - so as it stands he's done the rear valance, bought two new wings and a replacement door, brembo discs all round, 60mm lowering kit and leather bucket seats. Plans - sort all the little welding bits that are left, mainly drivers side arch and sill, then hammerite it all underneath, get some coilies because lowering kit isnt low enough, then paint and finishing touches.

Pics:

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

seen ur mk1 ...

i've got a golf rallye front end already converted to fit a mk1 golf, it includes both wings, front panel, already shaped to fit straight to a mk1 golf.... BE DIFFERENT...

paz

So far ive: stripped drivers door down, rust treated everything, stripped front end and interior apart from dashboard.

The most time consuming job of all is taking off the decals, they dont peel off as one as theyre paper thin and take ages to pick off. After thats done i can get onto the welding and paint prep B) And on the lookout for engines ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Small progress due to me still being in uni and doing stuff at weekends. Ive got all the glass out, taken the dash out, removed arch liners to check out the inner arches ( some small little bits need either P40'ing, or putting a small blob of weld in there), and also cleaned up all the surface scabs of rust with wire brush attachment on the drill. These are crap pics again on my phone but my hands are usually too oily to take good progress pics!

Worst bodged wiring ever ----->

IMG_0122.jpg

Point of no return ------>

IMG_0121.jpg

Better pics on the weekend hopefully if weather is ok!

Edited by penry

• 1 month later...

*Rust watch update*

Finally finished uni for the year so i can crack on with the mk1. Still undecided on engines, really wanted g60 but now thinking theyve all done 100k so why not get a donor mk4/a3/ibiza/leon 1.8t and break it for parts. Would pay for my ECU and other bits probably...

Anyway, today sorted out the rusty filler neck problem. Also cleaned up the arch a bit more ready for repair panel to go in, dad is the man for that as i need to practice before i get let loose on the car!

Pics:

Manky filler neck

IMG_0117.jpg

Rear arch undersealed etc (notice gap where filler neck was!

IMG_0118.jpg

Main rust, looks worse than it is now ive ground it out

IMG_0119.jpg

Filler neck panel, wire brushed and rust treated

fillerneck.jpg

More updates coming soon now im getting on with it!

Comments etc?

Edited by penry

IMG_0070.jpg

whats up with the door? are the hinges not attached?

looks like a nice little project and now you've got more time on your hands and some good weather i take it there will be more updates? ;), keep 'em coming! mk1's are awesome cars, you'll love it when its on the road :D

Cheers mate, yeah the door is just resting on there as its rotten through at the bottom. I got given a second hand one with it, VERY solid but theres a massive crease down the bodyline which would take more time repairing than to get another one! Plus i dont want it just to be smashed full of filler!

aha now i understand ^_^. of course not, if you are going to do it you might as well do it right, theres no point in doing it twice now is there.

are you keeping it all pretty standard or going for something a bit different?

Yeah mate exactly id rather do it once and get it right rather than doing half a job. Probably looking at a 20vt in there now as i can get a nice donor car mk4 golf and then break it to make some cash back. Then already got the bucket seats in the pics above, retrim original rear bench and probably usual sort of wheels, probably 14" rsl cults or similar with a nice contrasting centre.

^ Thats the plan anyway! :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Ok, update over the last few months. Still on the lookout for a decent donor car, all the ones i find are either in scotland or go for stupid money. But the right one always comes up so i dont mind waiting! Been quite busy when the weather allowed, made some racking for the garage to free some space up to have some workspace around the car. Still waiting to get a good weekend to do the remaining welding, but cracked on and stripped everything out of the engine bay so the engine is only holding in by the mounts. Anyway, pics:

Windows out ages ago

IMG_0099.jpg

Cracking on with the engine bay and wire labelling

IMG_0188.jpg

more...

IMG_0189.jpg

Wiring hell

IMG_0191.jpg

As it stands last week

IMG_0193.jpg

And a few more bits while the weather is crap:

machine polished rear lights (spot the difference!)

IMG_0199.jpg

reglued rear door cards - think they need redoing again with some heat on the curves as they didnt stretch well at all

IMG_0200.jpg

Thats all for now, bought a new passenger door today so will whack that on next week! Only engine, brakes, interior and paint to do.....

It sounds a lot, but when i get my donor it will all come together. I have the interior in my bedroom, the buckets are my xbox gaming chairs and the doorcards are in my wardrobe! Brakes are here too but just need piping up - braided lines probably. Paint - im going to do the bay myself when the engine is out, along with getting rid of the battery tray and other unused brackets. Then prep the shell as much as i can and off for proper paint :D

Engine + wiring i've read loads now so should be OK. My uncle just wired up his westfield with S2000 engine on emerald so im sure he can come over and get in the mixer. Exciting times!

• 6 months later...

Ok long overdue update; 20v is going ahead, STILL need a donor car been outbid on several cars but i dont mind waiting for the right one. Plans wise - OEM management, with immobiliser defeat and i can also get the n249/n112/secondary air intake/2nd lambda sensor mapped out when i get a remap. Cable throttle is easiest, along with cable clutch (some say its heavy on the foot but ill give it a try before thinking about hydraulic).

Right, pics: (they're crap because they were taken with iphone)

Came across some dodgy wiring, a Ford relay(?) in there suspect its a DIY headlight loom upgrade

IMG_0190.jpg

Cut my battery tray out:

IMG_0211.jpg

Halfway

IMG_0212.jpg

Done, looks a bit fresher

IMG_0213.jpg

Started to rub down the front panel by hand but got bored quickly!

IMG_0205.jpg

Bought my engine mounts, along with manual clutch actuator and mk2 1.3 clutch cable which is apparently upto the job - we'll see!

From L>R: Cambelt side mount, rear bell housing mount, and gearbox mount with clutch cable bracket welded on

IMG_0286.jpg

And this is where the car is wedged in at the moment, garage is full of other non mk1 bits that need to go before it can come in and out easily to work on it:

IMG_0287.jpg

And thats it, i have exams until may 21st but after that its action time!

Edited by penry

Mark the paint is/was lovely, the phone camera doesnt help. Maybe i should put pics in my actual ibiza thread, cant really be arsed though because nothing's changed apart from its in worse condition!

Nah, i didn't mean to sound like it was bad work, haha.

Do you have any idea what hit it?

Nah i know what you meant dont worry! The fact its not original paint probably didnt help, but it was a massive stone id say the size of a 50p piece. I came up behind a lorry, indicating to pull into outside lane and the stone came over the top of it, bounced full toss onto my bonnet (75mph ish) then up onto my windscreen. Surprised it wasnt sitting on the passenger seat next to me with the force it hit, yet didnt leave a mark on the screen :coffee: After that i just thought whats the point in having a nice car as a daily, havent done anything with it since really apart from keep it clean and well serviced :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Got my donor, bought it the day before my exams started :rolleyes: so havent even looked at it properly yet. Exams finish friday, so this weekend with a bit of luck ill get the old engine in the back of the a3 out of the way and start prepping the bay

Pics:

a3.jpg

a38.jpg

After the last amazing response to my post, im now exam free so going to crack on with this. Had my first look at the car earlier, its compltely disgusting inside but starts first time every time and sounds lovely. Got an absolutely appalling ebay special dump valve on it though, plumbed in shockingly. Also theres a box plugged into the radio loom that i have no idea what it does? Answers on a postcard?

Foot pump pipe to plumb in the dump valve? Jokes!

IMG_0297.jpg

Any ideas? The car has got a wiring kit in the boot too, as well as the standard audi sub...

IMG_0296.jpg

Updates soon, engine should be coming out of the mk1 tomorrow or tues.