Rust on Roof

s2000king

Hmmmm....difficult one this Bep...who should i complain too - VW Head office here in the U.K.? the way i see it is, going through this thread VW don't seem to want to play ball with a lot of owners, and are just rejecting claims - i consider myself lucky-ish that they did it at all...and to be honest, i am strongly thinking about selling up for a R53 Cooper S as i have kinda lost faith with VW after 17 yrs of driving them - the cost of parts on the Lupo GTI is astronomical and a good car it may be, but they just don't build cars like they used too...i regret selling the mint MK1 GTI i had for ten yrs still! you knew where you stood with a MK1; modern VW's just don't cut it in a lot of ways, sadly..i'll either go retro Dub again, or just leave the brand for good - i'm undecided still, that's for sure

I agree about modern vw's, i know the only car i actually want after my lupo is a mk4 r32, nothing else seems to inspire me much.

Say to vw uk that example of stone chips i gave above, they will say that stone chips are "cosmetic", then ask them how the roof is different? they will be forced to say it is a \2manufactuing default" and not "cosmetic", and that is why they should pay out. rust is not cosmetic, it is a fault! - covered by warranty.

Let me knwo how your argument goes, i will be getting in touch again soon, i will try to claim for just a tiny speck of bubbling rather than all the areas that are corroding, and in order to fix it properly they will have to do the whole thing anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We noticed that sammy-jo's has this rust on the passenger side gutter yesterday, as its a 2000 model am i right in thinking that i might if i fight get this done on warratee even tho we are the 3rd owners....?

sorry have read through the thread but we are nowhere near any of the dealers mentioned in this thread.

We noticed that sammy-jo's has this rust on the passenger side gutter yesterday, as its a 2000 model am i right in thinking that i might if i fight get this done on warratee even tho we are the 3rd owners....?

sorry have read through the thread but we are nowhere near any of the dealers mentioned in this thread.

the dealership you go to doesnt make any difference, vw uk decides, by all means apply for the repair, but i havent heard of anyone getting theirs approved recently.

the dealership you go to doesnt make any difference, vw uk decides, by all means apply for the repair, but i havent heard of anyone getting theirs approved recently.

I thought that was the case!

Thankyou for your reply!

I will try, heck dont ask dont get eh!

wolverhapmton will fix was great staff there talked me though the process and was arranged with in a week, and was done for FREE

willenhall coach craft will not, phoned 4 times and went to the place to no one will take notice of wat i asked only seemed bothered about selling me a new car and the parts department man is just the same a grump over the phone and just as bad talking face to face

Edited by lupo gold

Im gonna take mine to my local vw (gilders at Chesterfield) tomoro after reading this topic,who should i be asking to speak to when i get there so i dont waste my time?

Thanks

just whoever is at the parts dept, they should direct you to whoever is in charge of warranties. Good luck!

Aparently my 99 plate lupo only has a 6 year warranty,is this right?and where could i get the warranty to print off and take in (if mine does actually have a 12 year warranty - i know its close to the end lol)

its 12 year - they talk ****. warrenty is available online if you google it - or it is in a few places in this thread.

Hello again, I have just accepted an offer from VW to go 50/50 on the roof rust repair to my 2000 Lupo 1.4 Sport. I have a full VW service history on my car bar one service and I have paid VW to sort all the usual Lupo problems ( door hinge, both window motors, sticking bonnet pull and more ) so I have spent a lot with them and I think this counted for a lot and also VW did appear to have lost my first claim and I could evidence this. The work was done really well by a local bodyshop who straightened out a wobbly roof panel whilst attending to the rust ( another Lupo affliction I think from looking at other cars ). A few friends have looked at the work and we all think the metallic green paint has been matched in extremely well. Ironically having got this sorted I think I may sell it now and get something a bit newer and more sedate like a Polo 1.2 so look out for an ad here shortly.

Cheers

Gaz

Well done to get anything from them! - but i would push further than that - cos if they are doing it as a compromise, it is because they know it is a genuine warrenty claim, they are pretending it is just cosmetic and are doing you a big favour. If you asked them to go 50/50 on repairing stonechips on the bonnet, they would say no because it is just cosmetic!

To which you reply - so what is the rust in the roof then? - errrrrrrr - A genuine warrenty claim that they are trying to swindle out of is what it is!

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the bubbling on my roof so took my lupo into my nearest VW dealer (Nuneton), and they sent me to the Listers bodyshop in Coventry.

The bodyshop said that it's only covered by goodwill so VW will pay 70%...he was going to charge me £250! I don't see how a roof can cost over £800??

Anyway, does anyone know if Leicester have accepted doing any roofs under warranty? Or anywhere around Nuneaton.

Cheers,

Amber

I noticed the bubbling on my roof so took my lupo into my nearest VW dealer (Nuneton), and they sent me to the Listers bodyshop in Coventry.

The bodyshop said that it's only covered by goodwill so VW will pay 70%...he was going to charge me £250! I don't see how a roof can cost over £800??

Anyway, does anyone know if Leicester have accepted doing any roofs under warranty? Or anywhere around Nuneaton.

Cheers,

Amber

I went for personal quotations ranging from £300 for unguarunteed work, to £600 for work with a guaruntee.

but it seems vw is now refusing to pay for anyone's outright, they either say no or offer some of the money - trying to get out of their warranty...

Cheers,

Amber

This is exactly what happened with my claim...i stumped the cash as per my posts - the work they did is superb to be fair- but as per Beps advice, i have written a complaint letter to VW U.K....not heard back yet, but soon as i do i will update on this thread

Stu

This is exactly what happened with my claim...i stumped the cash as per my posts - the work they did is superb to be fair- but as per Beps advice, i have written a complaint letter to VW U.K....not heard back yet, but soon as i do i will update on this thread

Stu

Ah fair enough.

Let me know if and when you hear back :)

the bodyshop painted mine in coventry for free did the whole roof at no cost as it was a manufacturing fault with not galvanising the metal in the gutter strips, no offensive but i think because your a girl they have tried to mug you off go with your dad and they should do it

the bodyshop painted mine in coventry for free did the whole roof at no cost as it was a manufacturing fault with not galvanising the metal in the gutter strips, no offensive but i think because your a girl they have tried to mug you off go with your dad and they should do it

They're right tw@ts.

I took my mate with me last time.

Might take in the warranty t&cs and argue with them...

• 1 month later...

Taken my Girlfriends car to Wayside St Albans on Friday.The impression I get is that I will be lucky to get a good will contribution. If they will not repair for free. I will be getting some quotes and taking VW to the small claims court.

Has any one else tried this?