"Check" Light came on

Was out driving about a week ago round the countryside and all of a sudden when in 5th at low revs the "check" light flashed on and back off

Didnt think much of it

But then tonight it came on, i fitted the coilovers on today, and it was on for ages then put it in 6th at bout 75 and it went out

Then later in the night it was on all the drive home

It seemed to struggle alot at low revs, but was fine after 4000ish

The car had been always run on shell vpower, but the garage near me had been shut when i went to fill so had to put in Esso stuff

And the garage i used is known for ****e unleaded.

Would this be a problem the fact ive filled 2 tanks worth of the esso stuff after the shell vpower for so long?

Needed to fill tonight and used BP Unlimited to see if that would help but the light is still on

High revs it seems fine but when pulling away foot would be at the floor and its just like ur hardly accelerating or it jumps/kangeroos a little

Any ideas?

Would it be to do with the coilovers getting fitted today? As the steering is quite weird, but think it just needs camber adjusted and aligned really

Was out driving about a week ago round the countryside and all of a sudden when in 5th at low revs the "check" light flashed on and back off

Didnt think much of it

But then tonight it came on, i fitted the coilovers on today, and it was on for ages then put it in 6th at bout 75 and it went out

Then later in the night it was on all the drive home

It seemed to struggle alot at low revs, but was fine after 4000ish

The car had been always run on shell vpower, but the garage near me had been shut when i went to fill so had to put in Esso stuff

And the garage i used is known for ****e unleaded.

Would this be a problem the fact ive filled 2 tanks worth of the esso stuff after the shell vpower for so long?

Needed to fill tonight and used BP Unlimited to see if that would help but the light is still on

High revs it seems fine but when pulling away foot would be at the floor and its just like ur hardly accelerating or it jumps/kangeroos a little

Any ideas?

Would it be to do with the coilovers getting fitted today? As the steering is quite weird, but think it just needs camber adjusted and aligned really

Mine came on whilst driving to Ultimate Dubs but didnt experience the problems you have. Took it to a local VW guy who said its to do with emmisions from the exhaust and that its possible a valve is slightly open and letting too much through. If you pop the bonnet at the very front of the engine theres a part (cant remember its name) and on mine it was wedged open slightly. All I did was fiddle around with it, not taking any of it apart and the light went off and has stayed off since.

Might get lucky and have the same happen to you!

Yeah i had noticed there was alot more white smoke coming from the exhaust than there should have been since i bought it

Will try that and if that fails take it up to the garage to run a diagnostic on it and see what happens

Cheers

Booked in for monday for a diagnostic check on the car, says the sluggish feeling was due to it being in "limp mode" to get the car home

So wont do damage driving it in limp mode he says, says its fine to run it with that light in and in limp mode, it just stupid cause ye cant floor it

Haha like the guys wording

Anyways, hopefully wont cost too much

Guest Lauryn
Mine came on whilst driving to Ultimate Dubs but didnt experience the problems you have. Took it to a local VW guy who said its to do with emmisions from the exhaust and that its possible a valve is slightly open and letting too much through. If you pop the bonnet at the very front of the engine theres a part (cant remember its name) and on mine it was wedged open slightly. All I did was fiddle around with it, not taking any of it apart and the light went off and has stayed off since.

EGR Valve? I've had mine replaced cos my emissions warning light was on.

Well since i filled up with BT Ultimate or whatever its called, its been running perfect

Just the light is still on

Its had 1 or 2 little odd bits when pulling away, but that could be still the old ****e petrol in the engine

Booked in for monday anyways, so who knows what comes out of it :)

GTi doesnt have an EGR, it has the pipe that goes into the engine cover, but that is just for warm air, doesnt connect to the manifold at all.

I assume the GTi can retard the timing to prevent knock when using crap fuel? It might be doing this?

One thing i did notice was just after washing it there, there was a little smoke coming from the very front centre of the bonnet

Is this just because its been driven for about 2 hours and was warm and water going onto something warm?

Went away after 15mins

I'm hoping this is what's happened to my Arosa.. When I had it serviced a month ago, on my way home the Exhaust Emissions light came on so I went back to the garage and they checked it over for me, couldn't find a fault and cleared the light. Last night however the light came on again, first time since it did when I had the service.. I'm going to Vagcom it tonight but I hope it's nothing major!