New Cars

al3x kay

Some of you may remember a topic I posted about a Z3m that I was offered and turned out to be pants. Well it got it in my head that I want something new, and having thought about it properly it needs to be bigger and able to do some more miles (work).

I have been looking around at what I can afford (after trading in the GTi).

I have narrowed it down to a few, and just wanted to hear some opinions.

So in the current 1st slot is a 2000-2004 model Audi A4 saloon 1.8T quattro. Now I really always liked this model and being a saloon it is going to give me the room I need.

2nd thought is a MK V golf GTI. I am still unsure if I even like the shape of these. I hated it when the came out but I have to admit that it has grown on me!

Or are there any other suggestions? Seat Leon, the old mk? What about a Saab 9-3? I know nothing about them.

anyway I have given myself till the end of April to get it sorted out so any comments or ideas would be much appreciated.

Ta

Alex

seat ibeza fr 1.9tdi, modified.

needs lowered, remapped, larger air intake, and a few other wee bits and bobs, you should get all that already done for 8k.

You will however, if not already done need a front mount or twin side mount intercoolers as the single side mount is abit naff at cooling and causes limp mode in remapped engines, it's not so great on the std engine either.

:D

or a completely mint mk1 golf tintop for 6k.

I used to drive my bosses 54 plate SAAB 9-3 1.9tid it was awful really disappointing until I drove that I loved SAAB's but his felt really baggy, I suspect his had been mistreated as it was a company car and everyone used to use it. Having said that I once read that although it is based on a Vauxhall Vectra UK spec Vectra's were equiped with specially tuned suspension to improve the handling but bizzarely these changes were denied to the 9-3. The interior was flimsy (there was a trim to match the impractical handbrake that frequently fell off) the ride was OK but not exceptional. Another Manager had a more up the range SAAB that expired on the side of the motorway so I would not recommend a SAAB anymore, although they are doing really good deals on new ones at the moment.

We currently run an A4 1.9TDI on a 53 plate on the company fleet it does seem to stand upto abuse really well and so far has only required routine servicing but these check ups are becoming more expensive as the miles increase and I suspect that it something did fail it could end up being very expensive.

I think the Golf MK5 would be the best choice my brother had one, it handled very well no matter how clumsy my brother was it just went around the corner with little or no need to slow down. The interior was very comfortable and very solid if not quite as nice as the MK4, the luggage compartment was very big although everything looks huge after the Lupo! I take your point on the styling although I think in GTI form it looks less like a 307 than the rest of the range.

given yourself till the end of april? what are you, a man or a mouse?

decide what you want and go and buy it, stop faffing about, you could have it all over and done with in a weekend.

buy something, drive it, if you decide you don't like it then sell it again. there are so many credit crunch bargains out there that you can't go wrong with buying, keeping for a short amount of time, then selling and trying something different.

i've never understood people who keep cars for a long time, surely the whole fun of it is to try out as many cars on your "wanted list" as you possibly can?

given yourself till the end of april? what are you, a man or a mouse?

decide what you want and go and buy it, stop faffing about, you could have it all over and done with in a weekend.

buy something, drive it, if you decide you don't like it then sell it again. there are so many credit crunch bargains out there that you can't go wrong with buying, keeping for a short amount of time, then selling and trying something different.

i've never understood people who keep cars for a long time, surely the whole fun of it is to try out as many cars on your "wanted list" as you possibly can?

You actually have a good point there! Spoke to my local Audi Dealer this morning and they have an A4 for me to have for saturday so I am going to have a go in that and see if I like it.

go for the leon!!! nice finishing, often better than VW, i've not been in any audi's for a while so not sure what their interior finishes are like. good stance and meanness too it, chavs will hate you (always a bonus).

but i guaranteeeeee you will loooove the leon :D vroom vroom choke choke ;) ripe for remapping and modding :D

The only problem with S3's is the people who own them, they tend to be driven hard don't they?

Same could be said about your GTI though. Being driven hard isnt a bad thing, provided it has been well maintained.

That's the problem, I haven't driven one either so going to have a drive in one then I will go get something next week I think.

although maybe I should hold of another week as I am off skiing next friday for a week, so could just do it when I get back.

Decisions ... decisions