ECU Failed

Guest Lauryn

Had a look about and nothing comes up in the search engine, am I the only person this has happened to?

Following on from my other thread about the car not starting, VW have been fiddling about trying to sort it and theyve now came back and said I need a new ECU...I cant understand it?

Theyve quoted £555.33 inc VAT and labour (that includes more than 50% off labour and 10% off parts btw!) however the parts on back order, so no idea when they will get it. The cars tucked away with them and I currently have a courtesy car, so its not too bad.

I just dont understand how an ECU can go? The VW tech said someone has tampered with it before also, the wires are held in with cable ties, hmmm!

Any ideas anyone? Looks like I wont be making UD next weekend, words cant describe how gutted I am! The cars also in for the full cambelt shebang, and a service, mega money!

All sympathy welcome!!!!! :lol:

Lauryn

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a look about and nothing comes up in the search engine, am I the only person this has happened to?

JamesU had exactly the same thing happen not so long back!

P.S. Come to uDubs in the courtesy car!

Edited by nfbr

Is everything on the ECU screwed?

I think if that happened to me i would go for an after market ECU. If the full thing had gone i would pick up the cheapest lupo ECU i could get my hands on to take care of the electrics side of things but then get something like a megasquirt for the engine.

The only VW ECU failure I have seen was caused by water ingress, I split that

cleaned up the board and corroded components then metered everything it out and it seemed ok.

(Never plugged it in again though as they got another ECU from the scrappy) but,

Electronics don't fail as often as you'd think so it might be worth trying to borrow one to prove that

it really is the root cause of your problem.

Guest Lauryn

I just dont get it. The starting issue has been getting gradually worse over the last 2-3 months, went to VW a week past Tuesday and they reprogrammed the keys, as it was an immobiliser fault code - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/17978/P1570 - coming up on Vagcom. No joy, couldnt take it back in til Friday, they phoned early this morning and said I need a new ECU, and as if that wasnt bad enough, phoned back half an hour later and said its on back order so no idea when the part will turn up...

Whats this about aftermarket ECUs? I've been searching eBay and everything, but no ECUs coming up for the AUB engine which I have. Any way around this? A brand new ECU from VW is about £450 + VAT iirc (I get 10% off but still!!!!)

I really really need help on this please!

Thanks

Lauryn

Guest Lauryn

Been searching and searching all night (I'm a little drunk and cant sleep), and I just dont know what to do.

Read this one - http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...ic=6850&hl= - but I'm just not convinced its the ECU tbh! How can it be a "sporadic" fault with the immobiliser when my ECU needs relaced? A few people off here saw the car acting up last weekend at Knockhill as well.

I would have thought if the ECU is gubbed, then the car doesnt run, full stop. However mine is taking a while to start but when its going it runs perfect? WEIRD!

Whats this about aftermarket ECUs? I've been searching eBay and everything, but no ECUs coming up for the AUB engine which I have. Any way around this? A brand new ECU from VW is about £450 + VAT iirc (I get 10% off but still!!!!)

An aftermarket ecu would be even more expensive, a basic one such as an emerald starts at £600 before fitting.

Its either go to a scrappy and find one, then take it to vw to be recoded or start again, bite the bullet and get a new one.

Im not sure if the immobiliser unit is part of the ecu? If so then mabe thats why you need a new one?

John

going to vw for a new ecu is crazy! theres plenty of ecu speacials, i use to have a mk2 punto (yea i no!) and the ecu went, i sent it away 2 sum guy and he sent it back in a week good as new! i can did out his number on monday for you if you want? you can explain your problem , it cost me £250.

Lauryn this happened to my Arosa 1.4 TDi in December. Seat wanted £600, then vat on top, then labour on top of that so i kindly told them where to go. I took my car to a company called ES ALternators in Kirky. The guys had the car and ECU for a week and found that one of the small circuit boards inside was cracked. They guys sorted that out, drove the car for a road test, full diagnostics then told me to road test it before i took it away then ran a full diagnostic on it beore i left to give me the print out as proof. All in all - £330 in VAT. Guys were top class and really know there stuff. A big diference from SEAT wanting around £1000!

0141 776 3689

Hope this helps ;)

An aftermarket ecu would be even more expensive, a basic one such as an emerald starts at £600 before fitting.

Don't forget the mapping! that's usually £500 at least !

Guest Lauryn

I just dont know what to do. The car is sitting in VW absolutely dead, and I have a courtesy car from them so I can get about. I just dont understand, for the life of me, how when it runs it runs, and does start first time some of the time, if that makes sense. I've said it before but if an ECU is ****ed, its ****ed! The car wouldnt run full stop!!!! I mean surely its the power supply, or a crack in it or something? Why does it all need replaced? ARRRGGGHHH! I've been up all night stressing and crying, I just dont have the energy for this anymore :( Its not even about money, I just dont want them ripping the piss and ****ing me over, and I want my bloody car back! So much time and effort gone into getting it ready for UD, all down the ****ing pan :(

As my engine is an AUB, do I NEED to have an ECU with that code? Eg can I have one from a 1.4S etc? Theres plenty floating about on eBay etc, just none for an AUB engine

Thanks

Ideally it will need to be an ECU from a car with the same engine code.

It'll also need to be the same ECU number, so: 036 906 034 AT

If you get an ECU from a breakers yard, you will most likely need to have VW re-Code the immobilizer side of it.

Guest Lauryn
Ideally it will need to be an ECU from a car with the same engine code.

It'll also need to be the same ECU number, so: 036 906 034 AT

If you get an ECU from a breakers yard, you will most likely need to have VW re-Code the immobilizer side of it.

OK thanks, just wanted to check. Its finding one from a sport thats the issue. I really dont mind getting a second hand one, VW can code it etc for me, surely cheaper than £450 odd for a new one!

The only thing which is really pissing me off (apart from the fact UD is a goner really) is I just cant get my head round the needing a new ECU business. I keep saying it, but if the ECU needed replaced, would the car run at all? Why is it just a starting problem, then runs perfect?

Guest Lauryn

I emailed a breakers and got this back:

Breakeryard.com Part Quotes

YOU HAVE RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING QUOTE FROM: AUTOTEKPHONE: 0701 312 4531

Please call between 8am and 6pm Mon-SatView feedback about this supplier - click the link belowhttp://www.breakeryard.com/view_supplier_feedback.aspx?count=OHZODSHWL

Your quote consists of 1 part(s):

----------------------------------------

Part Request Ref: 1642644

PartType : Other Engine Part

Part(Details) : ECU (ENGINE MANAGMENT), AUB engine

Part Conditiion: RECONDITIONED

Price : £1

Part Warranty: 90days

----------------------------------------

Additional Information: Dear Sir/Madam

Regarding your car part please visit our website: www.autotekelectronics.com

We can offer to supply, test, repair and recondition your own unit from: £**.**

What is the part number written on your own unit ??????????????????????

We aim for a ** hour turnaround service for more accurate details please call direct: **** *** ****

Our address: AUTOTEK Unit ** Wessex Trade CentreRingwood Road, Poole, Dorset, BH** *PQ

Delivery : £0.00

Total price GBP£: 1.00

Please call the number shown above and speak directly with the supplier who has sent you this quote, quoting the relevant Part Request Ref (stated above). Please also remember to double check all details with them, to ensure the part is correct for your vehicle.

Guest Lauryn

OK been thinking about it more, dunno if anyone can answer this?

I'm assuming its the immobiliser part of my ECU which is faulty/damaged, going on starting problems and fault code. If so, is this not a second little board inside the ECU, not the main board, so could this not be repaired/replaced?

It seems to me VW cant be bothered or dont know how to fix it, so replacing the whole thing is the easiest thing for them.

Any thoughts?

Found this too

http://www.ecuclinic.com/

Did your car have remote central locking as standard?

There is a black box underneath similiar to what Unheard has mentioned. Maybe that has just gone a bit temperamental?

Guest Lauryn
Did your car have remote central locking as standard?

There is a black box underneath similiar to what Unheard has mentioned. Maybe that has just gone a bit temperamental?

It did yes. How would I check this?

Thanks

Yeah I think there is a black immobiliser box underneath behind the fuse box.

It is located quite deep inside, so it might be hard to get at.

Not too sure on checking if it works or not but has your remote locking or such been playing up?