Lupo GTI Eaton M45 "Cold Side" setup

amarce

but if you mount it on the top of the intake, the air leaves @ 70ºC, and you should add another 40 - 50º from the intake manifold, this makes a total of 130ºC, this could be aprox. the same.

so are you saying the intake manifold is 120'C??? because if it is 40 or 50 and the air is already 70 it can't heat it anymore and I doubt the intake manifold is 120

so are you saying the intake manifold is 120'C??? because if it is 40 or 50 and the air is already 70 it can't heat it anymore and I doubt the intake manifold is 120

Isn't exactly that, the only thing that I am saying is that due to the compression inside de manifold, the wasted spark, etc... and the hot air that goes inside, it can rise up to 120ºC because it gets hotter and hotter with your charger getting hotter too. If you have an intercooler it can be a bit less, because the air could be a bit colder and it can cold a bit the intake manifold, but i think that it should be approx the same.

Hows it coming along?? done much more to it?

BTW, with my cooler, driving along on monday my intake air temp was 26 deg c. Which it pretty bloody cold. I would think to see it reach 40 whith some hard driving, but not much more.

John

Please excuse me if this appears to be a daft question but i take its not possible to run a supercharger of the primary cambelt pulley (with a custom pulley and spindle of course), under that cover......i have no experience with that so please correct me if i'm wrong

Please excuse me if this appears to be a daft question but i take its not possible to run a supercharger of the primary cambelt pulley (with a custom pulley and spindle of course), under that cover......i have no experience with that so please correct me if i'm wrong

Camshaft is geared to half the crank speed remember. So you "could" but the charger would spin slowly, or to the outside pulley.... that would work, but what if the belt failed? would you want to risk it taking the cam belt out??

John

Fair point about the belt failing and loosing the engine, i supose. if a custom pulley was to be made you could easily gear it to step up the speed again. Also would it be possible to use a wider belt if your on custom pulleys to strenghten it up more?

sorry i should of said running the origional cambelt as it is but having an in-line triple pulley one pulley for crank to cam, a second pulley for cam to cam (oem set up so far) and a third 'additional pulley' to run to the supercharger, you could even split the cam to supercharger belt with another pulley so if the supercharger f*cked up for whatever reason it would act as a sacrificial or dedicated belt but this belt would have to be weaker than the rest so it would fail first.

Edited by Toi gulp

• 5 weeks later...
Any news?

John

I'm saving money at the moment.... Maybe i'll go for a megasquirt, which costs me 1500€ all installed and mapped and tested in rolling roads. The other thing I'm thinking about are the forged internals. I checked all the vag engines, but i can't find any internals that could fit.

How much cost you the forged pistons and rods? and are they low compression ones ore are standard ones?

Thanks!!! :lol:

Didnt think the std ecu would work to be honest, and your making the better decision in the end of the day.

have you not though about an emerald unit instead of the megasquirt? They are better in comparison.

With the exchange rates how they are with the euro to the dollar, the forged internals i have will cost about £1800.

I have had a few issues, due to the increased conrod thickness you need to modify the oil jets so they dont touch the rod, which i found out the hard way! luckily no damage was done. And make sure you use a three piece oil ring.

The pistons i had designed work only with total seal rings due to the ring gaps being different to the gti's original. they are a copy of the originals, but with a smaller skirt and cross section to make them lighter which has made a lot of difference. I have used a 3mm decompression plate instead, as theyre more than adequite for the job.

John