Lupo GTI or Clio 182?

Chris Dunderdale

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL alright then mate...

my pug? yes pug well done, would have eaten a standard gti...

so as for a gti eating a 182? you are dreaming, that is the point i was making

and yes were on a lupo forum, i know i've been here long enough, but you?

and as for sticking to the backroads chasing 182s, im 17 mate yes i have a pretty slow car, lots to learn

but your a lot older than me im gathering and you don't seem to take someone shooting your point down in flames well

LOL OK :o

Like I said In all situations a gti would not beat a 182 but in some it would.

I find it hard to believe your pug would eat a stnd GTI but i guess you know better :huh:

Im not saying a GTi is faster, Im saying on road in the right hands its not impossible...

Like i tried to state (though started another topic by accident) I can see this turning into an arguement (which it has) and I'll be the 1st to appologise as i never meant to cause any offence.

And BTW im not much older than you, Just wiser by the looks of it!

To be honest, each to there own.

Carry on loving your French cars till it blows :D

Joking :)

you really consider yourself to be some kind of comedy guy?

i no longer have the 106, so well done mate & it didn't blow up(well done #2)

keep thinking your wiser, you buy a gti? and keep thinking your invincible...

and if you knew anything about 106 rallyes which you obviously don't you'd change your mind,

this is no argument, more of a lesson...how much experience have you had in a gti by the way if you don't mind me asking?

Because i don't think alot, take a look around the forum and you will learn that the gti isn't FAST, its more of a comfortable cruiser

so therefore the 182 which is the opposite to be honest will obviously be faster

but anyway, new people bore me when they think they know everything, i've read posts from everyone on this website about how fast gtis are, you may think im a nob or whatever but idc, when you've been around for a year(if this thread is still here) you will change your mind about the performace difference...

anyway now im going to sit down with a cup of tea and browse the forum, if i really have to ill come back and reply again... but we will see

good day :coffee:

as for the mods, please don't delete this for chris's sake, if you have to delete my posts and give me a good telling off or whatever but i didnt consder anything i say to be all that offensive

LOL calm down boys.. It's only a VW!

Daz, have you driven either of them?

Until you do you'll find that they are both completely different beasts.

I'd take the Clio for a raz every Sunday but I'd always drive to work in the Lupo.

The 182 is much quicker though, Id even class it as a hot hatch.

The Lupo is luke warm.

It's like the good old days arguing about my Dads XR3i with my mate about his Dads Mk1 GTI LOL

Keep it calm though boys, insults would be tolerated, but a heathly 'descusion' is what we are all here for!

Have fun!

you really consider yourself to be some kind of comedy guy?

i no longer have the 106, so well done mate & it didn't blow up(well done #2)

keep thinking your wiser, you buy a gti? and keep thinking your invincible...

and if you knew anything about 106 rallyes which you obviously don't you'd change your mind,

this is no argument, more of a lesson...how much experience have you had in a gti by the way if you don't mind me asking?

Because i don't think alot, take a look around the forum and you will learn that the gti isn't FAST, its more of a comfortable cruiser

so therefore the 182 which is the opposite to be honest will obviously be faster

but anyway, new people bore me when they think they know everything, i've read posts from everyone on this website about how fast gtis are, you may think im a nob or whatever but idc, when you've been around for a year(if this thread is still here) you will change your mind about the performace difference...

anyway now im going to sit down with a cup of tea and browse the forum, if i really have to ill come back and reply again... but we will see

good day :coffee:

I owned the GTI for over a year and then sold it, It was a great car But far from invincible!

I do know about Rallye's, My friend owned both the 1.3 and 1.6 model, they are great cars for what they are, but not my cup of tea.

I never disputed the 182 is a faster car i merely said it would not wipe the floor with the GTI...

As for 'THINKING I KNOW EVERYTHING' that is incorrect, I am only stating my opinion and thats what i thought forums are all about?

I appologise if any offence has been caused though im right in saying i was only replying to comments made!

LOL calm down boys.. It's only a VW!

Daz, have you driven either of them?

Until you do you'll find that they are both completely different beasts.

I'd take the Clio for a raz every Sunday but I'd always drive to work in the Lupo.

The 182 is much quicker though, Id even class it as a hot hatch.

The Lupo is luke warm.

It's like the good old days arguing about my Dads XR3i with my mate about his Dads Mk1 GTI LOL

Keep it calm though boys, insults would be tolerated, but a heathly 'descusion' is what we are all here for!

Have fun!

was waiting for that, thanks anyway mate :)

but yer i've test driven 2 gtis at work, i like and 1 172 but they seemed completely different to me

and thats what i was trying to say mate that they were both in different classes if you like,

but nevermind, im the young one so whatever ;)

Daz, remind us what garage you work for so we don't bring our cars there.

An unlicenced driver test driving my car? I would kick your boss in the nuts.

:)

And BHP vs...

...did you see the Top Gear BTC report? 1275 Minis and Hillman Imps whoop assing alongside much more powerful cars and in many cases coming of better. Just goes to prove BBHP isn't the be all and end all.

Ok, I know this is a Lupo forum, so answers will be coloured by that but... what are the good and bad sides of these cars? I've driven a clio, (not the 182 mind) and really liked it. Never driven a GTI, but always liked the look of them. My heart is saying GTI, just cos they are rare and interesting. But for the same money about (5K) you can get a 04 plate 182 (as apposed to a 02 plate Lupo). Is the Lupo really worth the extra?

Lol at this thread, its gone totally off topic.

It all started as an honest question, please see above! :)

I've driven both, and have just bought myself a GTI after owning a glanza v. I decided to buy the Gti because of the following 3 points:

1 - I know for a fact until the end of this year i wouldnt be able to afford to run a clio 182, but still wanted something a bit "nippy" but wasnt to bad on fuel.

2 - I personally feel the build quality is far better in the lupo than the clio

3 - Lupo GTI's are very rare around my area, and seem pretty rare full stop. So i wanted something a bit different.

There is no doubt that the clio is gonna be faster, but from personal experience of having driving one and seeing all the problems my mate had with his in 6 months i wouldnt buy 1.

In answer to the original question, as i wanted something nippy, rare and still good on fuel i do think that lupo's are worth the extra money.

Im not going to argue anymore as I dislike the 182 and cant be bothered to stick up for it. I think most people, zulu included.

Feel the 182 is faster, as Tigz says its a hot hatch compared to the luke warm gti.

But at the same time feel the difference is not massive and on the road its the driving experience, rather than lap times that matter.

With the gti representing better ownership prospects being supposedly more reliable, much rarer better to look at etc.

Driving round the lakes sports can keep up with gti's, and with mk6 golf gti's as the power isn't usable. I appreciate what your saying about a lupo gti's performance, and it isn't bad. But just because I can keep up or overtake a gti down a 'b" road in my sport, doesn't mean my sport is quicker than a gti. :)

colbert-carell-stewart-hug.jpg

I forgot to mention, As someone stated earlier on in the thread the Lupo GTI's Acclaimed 0-60 is 8.3 and as said Autocar tested it at 7.7. I'd just like to mention the 7.7sec time was done using a 5spd GTI as opposed to the 6spd. :)

I'd struggle to do that :lol: . I've heard my car described as 'girly', it isn't especially quick, there are better handling small cars out there, the boot is tiny and it doesn't even have a glovebox! Despite all that, I know when the day comes to part with it I'll be gutted. A bit like being asked to explain why I like my favourite band, or film, I can't, I just like it - end of! Ever since I saw a raven blue one in a VW showroom years back I've always wanted one; it's got character, which is lacking in the vast majority of cars on the road. I've just shelled out £650 today for its service, MOT and timing belt change (plus water pump) and I don't grudge a penny!

Yeah but it has character and charm which you love. I took my Loop out today, its bumps and loud and puts a massive grin on my face!!! Simple as that. I'm sure some don't see the appeal but I love mine. It gives a similar grin in my Megane, there are better cars out there for what I paid for it, faster, better handling etc. But again I think its got personality and charm because people either love it or hate it!!

I'm loving the whipping the 182 got from the GTi, as I know from experience that if that happened either the Loop driver was the Stig or Stephen Hawkins was driving the Clio. :lol::lol:

End of the day they are similar in that they are both fast hatch backs, but impossible to compare as the reasons for owning either are so different. B)

As someone stated earlier on in the thread the Lupo GTI's Acclaimed 0-60 is 8.3 and as said Autocar tested it at 7.7. I'd just like to mention the 7.7sec time was done using a 5spd GTI as opposed to the 6spd. :)
0-62 is 8.2s :D Edited by Fow Vay

My mistake :wub:

Though I think Im right in saying the 5spd is slightly quicker to 0-60/62 than the 6spd?

I think you're right. 6spd is apparently quicker through the box once you're off and running though; however, a driver like myself certainly isn't going to notice the difference. Edited by Fow Vay

I think you're right. 6spd is apparently quicker through the box once you're off and running though; however, a driver like myself certainly isn't going to notice the difference.

The GTI always did feel like it needed an extra gear when at motorway speeds, But then again which 5 speeder does'nt?

what sort of speed does the 6 spd top out at. The 5spd showed 135mph on the clock give or take :D

The GTI always did feel like it needed an extra gear when at motorway speeds, But then again which 5 speeder does'nt?

what sort of speed does the 6 spd top out at. The 5spd showed 135mph on the clock give or take :D

...the 6 speed feels like it needs another gear too.

Are the 5th and 6th gears not the same ratio with the extra gear shoved in between? The 50-70 in 5th/6th times on that chart would suggest that thet very close with the possibility that 6th is even shorter than 5th (in the 5 speed).

Think they are supposedly identical in final drive, just the gti has more gears crammed in, covering the same ratio's.

But from the look of that comparison I would side with you and say the 6 speeders are slightly shorter geared.

I remember saying how my sport was rubbish on the motorway, and you also saying the gti was very revy, around 4K at 80. Also saying the 6 speeders can be hard work through the twisties with constant changes needed to get the best from it. :)