Websites

Putney

I have been wanting to get my own website to display my pictures properly.. at the moment i use photobucket.... but what i wanted was a site where people could look at my pictures and look at higher res ones.... i also was thinking about trying to sell books or calendars....

I got lots of nice comments about my pictures from all the people i have shown... i have lots more pictures i like which i have not shown yet.. i need to start doing something with them as i have over 12000 pictures now.....

any tips or advice of what i could do with them would be much appreciated...

ian

Ah, You want to look at flickr then

http://www.flickr.com/

I know alot of people who go to motorsport events that use it. It allowes the viewer to download the high-res version if they want. But it gives you the control to say who does and doesnt if you wanted to.

Its the best online gallery i have seen :)

Mat I'm not sure he means something as Unprofessional as flickr.

I think he means more like building a propper website similar to those of professional photographers!

Is this right Putney?

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of people use flash on photography websites, me personally wouldn't know where to start.

For www.ChocolateDubs.com (Not launched properly yet) its hosted by www.fasthosts.co.uk - you'd probably want a larger package if you'd be uploading big files etc.

You also get a free FTP uploading tool!

A lot of people use flash on photography websites

Oh the irony!!

Seriously though, if you can find someone who's into web design but quite new at it you will be on to a winner. People need work to create a portfolio and you'll slice costs if not completely abolishing them by finding a decent 'newbie'.

Once it's designed and created by the website expert, it just needs to be maintained and updated by you, the photography expert.

LOL, Believe me, no irony was intended.

As you said yeah, get someone who's new to it. Or just do some tutorials yourself?

I got my mate to start coding a forum for me, he said he was going to use it in his uni work and for some other stuff as exaples so i came just at the right time. Its looking snazzy too.

Good luck with it all!

Thats what I was on about :)

I just didnt know the code for it, top marks al!

Someone on UK MkIV's suggested I use it on our website for product images.

I'm quite liking the Idea now!

Maybe something I'll sort out in the near future.

I am a 'decent' HTML / CSS newbie and I would recommend using a flash based site for photography as they are more visually pleasing.

I think you can pick up cheap if not free templates on certain sites... have a look around on google and see what you can find.

However if you want a site done in HTML lmk and I'll help you along the way lol

PM me if you need help setting up ;)

An issue with flash is the e-commerce side of things if you do want to sell. To be honest hardly anyone makes money out of selling prints on a private site unless its a full time business and then it takes time and money to promote it. Most

People that sell imaged form a site do it for an ego/novelty thing rather than to gain any good return. If you want to make money you need to go through an agent but its not easy even then to get worthwhile money unless you set out with the goal of taking images that sell.

The other thing to avoid if you want to sell prints is giving people a high res image without a watermark, I think one reason Flash is used for photography is because you have a better ability to protect your images as you dont have to have them all downloading to the temp internet files in the same way if they are bundled in a flash file you cant also right click and save an image.