Definitive Coilover Thread

heartagram

I drive a 52 reg 1.0 seat arosa and i have been having a look on http://www.kamracing.co.uk/vw-lupo-5/suspension-chassis-84/coilover-kits-87/ for some kw variant 1 coilovers for my car but im not sure what ones i would need, has anyone got and advice?

Tom

here you go:

» KW inox v1 - Seat Arosa

» all Seat Arosa parts

Edited by Kam Racing

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Vinny, wanted to hear about the AK's ;)

Just been looking at your readers rides thread... disappointed about the rear height, and as I understand it it's fixed so can't be dropped any further? :(

Edited by RossB

• 3 months later...

From the AP website to whoever said that they are manufactured in China...

AP manufacture their coilovers in-house in Germany using quality steel, zinc plated to prevent corrosion and all kits are German TUV quality approved. A high quality German product, not a cheap imported re-branded unit!

• 1 month later...

I have just had my FK Highsports (Bought them in Feb 07) removed after 24,000 miles due to the oil seal failing on the n/s/f and losing all the shock oil :angry2:

Speaking to Venom motorsport today they only come with a 12 month warranty, although I believe FK do a rebuild kit. Had a look on the net, although cannot find the rebuild kit.

Not impressed as further labour charge to have the standard suspension put back on + having the tracking redone.

Any help greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I've had my lupo for two weeks and first thing I done was get some coilovers, decided to pay a little extra as I had some budget sh**ters on my previous car which were ok at first but the dampers were diabolical.

Any way I ordered some spax rsx fully height and on car adjustable rebound/damping with a twist of the knob, I cannot believe the difference in handling and they do various height packages ranging from a kit which lowers from 20mm - 60mm and the same on the back which is what I got as I wanted to retain an unmodified look. you can set the dampers from relatively soft to more or less solid which is actually like a go kart. they have a stainless threaded sleeve and powder coated strut, and just a general nice oem quality. they don't appear tacky and shiny like the budget versions out there.

They were more than what I initially intended on paying but they were massively discounted over £200 off rrp when I bought them, so I really could not refuse them.

I cannot compare them to the KW's or H&R as I haven't used them but I imagine there wouldn't be much difference once properly set up.

These are ideal if want to retain a decent ride quality, low maintenance and unbeatable performance oh and you get freebies (stickers, a cap and a keyring.LOL

Overall very practical for road and track use when needed.

I fitted the rears in 40 mins, and the fronts in an hour using 16mm and 18mm and 21mm sockets and an adjustable spanner with a pretty queer sized allen key to stop the damper rod turning(I think it was just over 7mm) I then spent 30 mins getting the height and dampers set up.

BISH BASH BOSH! Got the tracking done a day after just to finish it off. I now love my LUPO.

Hi. Had my lupo gti for about 2 years now and feel i cannot cope with the body roll in fast cornering any longer and am going to purchase coiolvers.

I'm unsure of which kit to go for from the following three -

1.) KW Variant 1

2.) Koni Coilovers (adj. damping)

3.) Spax RSX (adj. damping)

I've had a read through the threads and out of these three it seems like everyone is leaning towards the KW v1's, however if i'm going to spend £600+ on coilies shouldn't i go for ones that come with adjustable damping? I don't drive on track, however i do like to see how many mph's i can get on some of my favourite corners in my area. Therefore im looking for a kit that is stiff, but while still maintaining some ride comfort, aslong as i dont feel like my wrist is going to break when i go over bumps from the shock through the steering wheel i'm happy. Suggestions..fire away.

• 4 weeks later...

Can i just say i have got my ta technix coilovers now and the coilover is exactly the same as the jamex model which is on my freinds 6n polo pretty much the only differance is this colour of the springs his are blue. Exact same quality all these cheap coilovers are the same and their good for the money

This should definitely be pinned, some good info on here.

Just to add to it a bit, I've got AP's on my sport, had them on for about 2 months now maybe.

24032010528.jpg

Very happy with them. I do all sorts of journeys and use my car a fair amount. The ride is decent, obviously a little harder than standard but I'm used to them now and would hate to have my car rolling around now.... Handling is improved a fair amount too!

Basically im very happy with them lol. I know there are also a few other people who are on this forum who have them and really like them to.

I am looking to buy the AP's in the next few days,

Have heard good feedback of everyone who had them so is looking good?

Did you buy yours brand new Marcus? Could you tell me where you got them are currently looking for the cheapest,

Cheapeest have found so far is from Mad Motors Anyone bought of these before?

Yes i bought mine brand new from Awesome GTI. Great service, they were at my door only a couple of days after ordering :) I've also heard good things about "kam racing" for supplying coilovers.

That "mad motors" website is selling them at a very decent price!

Cheers for that mate,

Yeah thats what I thought its a good price but I would like to here some feedback from the company first as I would of thought someone else would of mentioned that site for being cheaper.

Cheers for that mate,

Yeah thats what I thought its a good price but I would like to here some feedback from the company first as I would of thought someone else would of mentioned that site for being cheaper.

Price match with awesome gti same price guaranteed good service :) get in touch with awesome-al on here. Oh and AP's are the dogs!!!

Just to say I went for KW Varient 1 Inox's, because......

1. Best rated for ride quality.

2. Inox Line Stainless steel bodies that don't rust in 5 mins and seize up.

3. Have a reputation for good build quality.

Good things about them......

Very precise camber adjustment.

Very easy ride height adjustment, just jack it up and twist by hand, no messing around with c-spanners.

No rusting.

Bad points...

Costly.

I have heard all these things about creaking coilovers, mine have not creaked once. The ride is far worse than standard your Grannies teeth will fall out, don't fit coilovers if you want it to ride like a Merc, cause it won't. Handling is great, back end could probably do with some tuning to the dampers/springs, it might be possible as the kit came with what seems to be V2 adjustable rear dampers.

Hope this helps.

Yep, At Awesome we'll always try our best to match prices (where ever possible) - I also (should) have the AP coilovers on the shelf! - I'll be back off my Holidays and back in work on Wednesday 9th if anyone wants to give me a buzz and make some enqiries!

Other than that, Feel free to drop any questions in the Awesome section on here!

Would love to get the V1 inox but its just the price putting me of alot of money just to get rid of a arch gap :lol:

Will have to do a bit of thinking over weekend, Thanks for info James.

Yeah thanks Al will be in touch next week whatever coilovers I go for.

Edited by bikemad04

Cheers for that mate,

We'll beat the price Mad Motors are offering if you want to go for the AP's.. pm me or give us a call for details..

Them AP's are a billy bargin if Kam or Awesome will sell them for that price!

Good job I kept shtum on the price I paid then isn't it haha

It would of been like fly's round s**t had I blabbed on the price ;)

• 4 weeks later...

After double checking my MOT paperwork it would seem the leaking insert (Misting) was noted during the Coilover warranty period.

FK were out of stock with the normal insert and have sent me 2 x FK00101 inserts which are suppossed to be 10mm lower.

Looking forward to getting them back on as the car currently looks like a Jeep :lol:

Edited by RallyeBaz

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm pretty set on FK Silverlines From Kam.

Anyone have any experience with these, any comments?

In reality how low can you go with them? (70mm obv in the spec)

I was thinking about AP's but they are going to be on my Lupo till the end of time, so I figured stainless is the way forward....