Definitive Coilover Thread

heartagram

I'm not sure how high the minimum drop is. Usually coilovers are listed as being TUV approved for 40-70mm drops, but I've never seen how high they are at maximum height. I should think it's possible though, especially on a GTI, as they're already quite low as standard, if that makes any sense.

Cheers guys, I think attempting to fit them myself is massively optimistic! I'll see what Midland VW say tomorrow.

As for minimum drop, well to be honest I'm not even sure what constitutes low, I know I use my car on proper manly b roads rather than smooth tracks.

Me too, and mine's as low as it will go (the driveshaft touches the chassis on bumps and cornering) and I don't have any bother, I know if you had it wound up high it would still be fine, and can no way be worse than the standard handling!

Thanks Phil, yes, an improvement is what I'm hoping for, something to keep me into the car until I can order my Abarth 500. ;)

I'm tempted by the price of those AP's from Awesome, people are saying good things about them too so its tough to choose.

• Like 1

Well, I'm getting close to a decision, just checking out prices on the KW's.

Kamracing and Awesome GTI are just under £700, but even with delivery charges Venom work out at £100 cheaper, a good saving as I've got to find somewhere more local to fit them. I've contacted Midland VW for a quote for the kit and fitting, but I haven't heard a peep out of them since I rang last week.

Well, a little bit of lowering is ok, mainly to neaten up the back end with its huge gaping holes in the arches!

My only reservation about those kits is the longevity, everything about the KW's say they are built properly and to last, which appeals to me.

I've sent a message to Al about price matching Venom, as the website does say they do. I'm not one for requesting 'best prices', but since they offer it I thought I'd ask. :)

Ah yes, my mistake, didn't spot the difference in first inspection. That clearly explains the price difference then! I thought it was quite a bit less not to have been mentioned in the various threads on this subject. My apologies.

Will PM back in short order.

Ah yes, my mistake, didn't spot the difference in first inspection. That clearly explains the price difference then! I thought it was quite a bit less not to have been mentioned in the various threads on this subject. My apologies.

Will PM back in short order.

We are the same main price too, but club members also get free delivery through us :P

» Club Lupo KW deal

Edited by Kam Racing

• 2 weeks later...

There okay but cheap and corrode like ****ers (like most cheap coilovers unless you keep on top of them). My KWs got used over the winter, don't look bad at all. Just need a quick clean off.

Whilst on the lookout for coilovers.. i've found some useful info for the PhilJ sets.

PhilJ Coilover Information (from the clubpolo site)

Current price: Lupo - £205

Payment/Delivery Info

If you would like to place an order, drop me a PM with what you are ordering, how you are paying, your full name, and a delivery address.

As for payments, I will only accept paypal if you pay the 4% paypal charge. If not, internet bank transfers, cheques, and postal orders are accepted. Although the quickest and easiest way is if you have a halifax branch near you, you can walk in there and put cash straight into my account, and thats instant. If you dont have a halifax near you, you can do a bank transfer at most banks. I also accept nochex, but again there is a 3% charge for this.

Most items will be coming direct from germany. Delivery from germany will take 2-4 working days from despatch, which is normally the day after payment is recieved, but please bare in mind this may take a little bit longer if the item is out of stock. Your item will be shipped using the german company GLS, and will come via parcelforce to your door. I can provide a tracking number for any item ordered if the item is late or there are any problems. Delivery is £15 for most items.

The postage cost on the wheel spacers are £7.50 next day delivery.. You can order up to 4 pairs for that price.

If you arent a member of club polo feel free to email me on sales@jacksontuning.co.uk with any questions.

i have phil J coilovers on at the mo and since the day i put them on, about 9 months ago, i thought they were good but have never been happy with the ride height on the rear, even with the adjusters out the rear arches still sit a good 2 inches above the tyre.

After reading this forum i will deffinately be saving up for the KW v1's.

awesome thread!! thnks allot

• 1 month later...

What would people recommend for occasional track use?

I was looking at the V1's, but they're height adjustable, not damping adustable, whereas I'd prefer it the other way around. The V2/3's are too expensive...

What would people recommend for occasional track use?

I was looking at the V1's, but they're height adjustable, not damping adustable, whereas I'd prefer it the other way around. The V2/3's are too expensive...

V1's will be fine for track use, unless you know what your doing with the fully adjustable ones they are probably more of a hinderance.

One-way damping adjustables are pretty easy though. Had them on my old LupoGTi (until I snapped the adjuster off!) and on the Golf GTi. Unfortunately the Alfa ones are height, not damping adjustable.

Its just nice to set them soft when your doing the commute, then stiffening them up when your on the smooth stuff.

I run AP Coilovers and have nothing bad to say about them, ride is comfortable and not too harsh, car holds the road quite well around the corners. Theyv'e been on the car for over a year now and there not even dirty! just a bit of a hose down every week and there fine! I would say there slightly more comfortable than my brothers FK's he has fited on his Gti.

One-way damping adjustables are pretty easy though. Had them on my old LupoGTi (until I snapped the adjuster off!) and on the Golf GTi. Unfortunately the Alfa ones are height, not damping adjustable.

Its just nice to set them soft when your doing the commute, then stiffening them up when your on the smooth stuff.

There's no point in having adjustable damping unless you have adjustable rebound as well.

For track use I would say KW Variant 3's all the way. As mentioned previously, You can ring KW, tell them what car you have and what track you are going on and they will give you the appropriate settings that work best on the track you are using.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I drive a 52 reg 1.0 seat arosa and i have been having a look on http://www.kamracing.co.uk/vw-lupo-5/suspension-chassis-84/coilover-kits-87/ for some kw variant 1 coilovers for my car but im not sure what ones i would need, has anyone got and advice?

Tom

Edited by Hoffin1008