GTi remap

cafcross

As far as I'm aware its simply a case of there being more parameters that need to be worked on to get everything running to spec.

Mate I'm still not convinced on this, as there is very little difference, you are still only adjusting the fueling?

The ignition and VVT isn't touched is it?

I'm tempted to bring in the Polo.

But its a long drive (I live virtually next door to JBS) to spend £275 on a hours mapping :)

Anything you can do? B)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate I'm still not convinced on this, as there is very little difference, you are still only adjusting the fueling?

The ignition and VVT isn't touched is it?

I'm tempted to bring in the Polo.

But its a long drive (I live virtually next door to JBS) to spend £275 on a hours mapping :)

Anything you can do? B)

Fueling regulation, Fueling timing, Ignition pull, Ignition timing is all altered to suit the modifications.

I must stress that a remap on a GTI isn't just a way to get power...

The main Idea of it is to tie in the map with any mods which have been done to the car to smooth out the power delivery.

I'm not too sure where you've got the idea of "An hours mapping" from but we spend around 3 to 5 hours when we map them.

• 2 weeks later...
I've read the thread with my mouth gaping wider nad wider as the pages go on. The stock GTI is 125fw bhp or so and I'm assuming after the cost of a BMC, cat back system, 4-2-1 manifold and a remap, 140-150fw bhp is fairly reasonably achievable.

That's a hell of a lot of money to be spending to get 15bhp. It demonstrates the effectiveness of the stock set up beautifully and reassures me that TDI is the Daddy.

FYI here is a real-world comparison of my GTi (with the mods you listed) vs another GTi with an intake and catback.

Dynos and HP/TQ numbers don't mean jack to me. :)

th_JrvsNana.jpg

http://s424.photobucket.com/player.swf?fil...p;os=1&ap=1

Edited by tttttada

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys n gals...

Sorry to bring this post back from the beyond but...has anyone on here had a remap? hows did it work out/change the car? was it worth it? and where did you get it done?

Have booked mine in with Al at Awesome in a couple of weeks... :D

Dynos and HP/TQ numbers don't mean jack to me. :)

Definitely!

Something that I can't stress enough is how the "Peak figure" stands for less than half a second in real terms of your power range.

We don't remap the GTI to make the "Magic Numbers" jump up. We do it as a calibration of the ECU to match up fueling/timing etc to the modifications on the vehicle.

Whilst Foxy's was in we did a Power run with the standard map, then loaded the custom map back on, and instead of running the graph as BHP / RPM, we loaded it up on the screen as BHP / Seconds and the car managed to reach the redline a good 3-4 seconds before with the map, than without it. Which in real terms means the car coming on song a good amount sooner.

Having driven Foxy's lupo over a good 200mile period, I can honestly say It was great to drive, especially as a comparison to some of the Standard GTI's I've driven.

be worth it tho? as your the only company to say you've done it before and can do it.

others have either not replied or said they need to send the ECU off

Thats bull mate. 2001 onwards cars if its just a base flash coding anyone with the equipment can do it... Just plug the pc in change the codes and its done.

If its a stand alone ecu then you need to put it on he rollers etc full days work

Edited by twoggy

Thats bull mate. 2001 onwards cars if its just a base flash coding anyone with the equipment can do it... Just plug the pc in change the codes and its done.

If its a stand alone ecu then you need to put it on he rollers etc full days work

To be fair, Regardless of Stand alone management or standard engine management, If its having a re-map then it needs to go on a rolling road. Without a rolling road, remapping becomes a minefield of misinformation. The rolling road is required to see exactly what the car is doing under different load conditions, see exactly what the air fuel ratio is and get the calibration spot on.

As for the Lupo GTI standard ECU, You can't just flash it as it will not accept a re-code. These cars require a physical chip change during the remap process.

We've found out of the three Lupo GTI's and 5 Polo GTI (1.6 16v) we've done, they require about 4 hours on the rollers to get the calibration spot on.

P.S. Anyone with the Equipment can do it, But only the people with the Equipment, The background knowlege and the experience in map calibration can do it right.

To be fair, Regardless of Stand alone management or standard engine management, If its having a re-map then it needs to go on a rolling road. Without a rolling road, remapping becomes a minefield of misinformation. The rolling road is required to see exactly what the car is doing under different load conditions, see exactly what the air fuel ratio is and get the calibration spot on.

As for the Lupo GTI standard ECU, You can't just flash it as it will not accept a re-code. These cars require a physical chip change during the remap process.

We've found out of the three Lupo GTI's and 5 Polo GTI (1.6 16v) we've done, they require about 4 hours on the rollers to get the calibration spot on.

P.S. Anyone with the Equipment can do it, But only the people with the Equipment, The background knowlege and the experience in map calibration can do it right.

I'll be speaking to you guys when I think about getting mine re-mapped. :)

Another question.

Is there anything to be gained from a GTI with no mods from a re-map??

Simple answer - Yes with a but.......

Don't think so much as "peek BHP" numbers. You'll be disappointed. You might get 1 or 2. Lower down however, it could be an extra 10 bhp at 4k (making these figures up here as i've never mapped a car or had a car mapped yet), that's where you want it.

It's how it pulls through out the whole rev range. It'll rev up a lot quicker and smoother. You'll get upto speed quicker then you'll be able to ease off the power and get better MPG's.

Think about it. Wherever your "peek BHP" is, how long do you stay there??? 0.1sec? 1sec? You'll spend more time revving than you will at the "peek bhp" however hard you drive. Trust me, i've tried :lol:

Another question.

Is there anything to be gained from a GTI with no mods from a re-map??

Yes but to be completely honest, Jeff (our Mapper/Special Projects technician) much prefers mapping a car which has some modifications as it gives more to calibrate to.

Simple answer - Yes with a but.......

Don't think so much as "peek BHP" numbers. You'll be disappointed. You might get 1 or 2. Lower down however, it could be an extra 10 bhp at 4k (making these figures up here as i've never mapped a car or had a car mapped yet), that's where you want it.

It's how it pulls through out the whole rev range. It'll rev up a lot quicker and smoother. You'll get upto speed quicker then you'll be able to ease off the power and get better MPG's.

Think about it. Wherever your "peek BHP" is, how long do you stay there??? 0.1sec? 1sec? You'll spend more time revving than you will at the "peek bhp" however hard you drive. Trust me, i've tried :lol:

You've hit the nail on the head Steve! at certain points in the rev range you may gain about 10-15bhp, yet your peak might not gain a massive amount.

I'm slowly understanding the reasons for having your car mapped and rolling roads. I was at Awesome yesterday (silver Arosa) for the RR day. Everyones graph I looked at i'd have a good look at the curve. Everyone who looked at the graphs, looked at the peek figures.

I'm slowly understanding the reasons for having your car mapped and rolling roads. I was at Awesome yesterday (silver Arosa) for the RR day. Everyones graph I looked at i'd have a good look at the curve. Everyone who looked at the graphs, looked at the peek figures.

Awh gutted, I was at a crappy wedding that I didn't even want to go to!

Did you see our John's LCR on the rollers? :D I'm well impressed with his figures!

Right lads...the old loop has been in to see Al at awesome. He stayed rather late to allow me to drop her off and so many thanks to him for that!

Lupo had a little cough which meant the clutch dissintegrated on the RR...so new clutch went in. Only driven her a couple of times since but I can honestly say she is much much happier now! Seem to pull much more smoothly and seems much more eager to rev accross the range!

Overall, very happy! Cheers Al and the lads at Awesome!

Though I would say....this has done nothing but convince me that she now requires new wheels and some kw v2's!....more money splashing out me thinks!