SAFETY RECALL!

hey guys,

i had a letter yesterday from SEAT saying i need to take my car in to be checked for a common fault involving the material the brake vacuum pipe is made out of and that it needs to be checked and replaced if necessary!

im surprised no one else has mentioned this...

i'll put up more details when i get home.

i'd call your local dealer and ask then about a recall concerning the brake vacuum hose!

so now when the engine is working the brakes need fixing.... will this car ever be problem free!?!

cheers

Nathan

• Like 3

The hose on my Lupo split in the summer. I cut it shorter put the end in some hot water to refit the connector and

then put a jubilee clip around it.

It splits at the end from the connector thats forced into the pipe so adding a jubilee clip to a new hose should

help prevent it from splitting in the future.

03/03/2005 R/2004/211 VW LUPO,POLO,GOLF,BORA, TOURAN,NEW BEETLE,PASSAT AND SHARAN (WITH 2 PUMP INJECTOR ENGINE) bolts of the tandem fuel pump cover may break 01/03/2004 31/08/2004

I got one too - but for the donor Arosa, not the Midget......Did make me wonder that it's taken them 10 years to catch up with it, but maybe they are having another round of letters to get the ones in that weren't done the first time?

But I rang SEAT and they're going to have mine in and take a look - and if it does need replacing it should be free anyway :)

Edited by lunalupi

when i worked at VW in 2000 ish i was always changing these.

The pipe splits at both engs where is it fitted onto the one way valve and the servo union.

Takes 5 mins to change.

• 1 month later...

this happened to my girlfriends car (engine idling fast and brakes lose their sharpness) i remembered the symptoms from my old Vauxhall viva, ha ha. Anyway it can be fixed with some 3/8" braided hose used for air conditioning drain pumps and 2 jubilee clips. Although it's a braking component it isn't a critical part, the brakes still work as good, you just have to apply more pressure to the pedal without servo assit working. Cars never used to have servo assisted brakes... how times change B)

• 3 months later...
Cars never used to have servo assisted brakes... how times change B)

But they were designed not to have servo assist - these aren't!

Somehow I spotted this thread laaaate! Any way, I just checked mine and it seems to be fine. What were the perished hoses made of? Mine appears to be a hard plastic hose, not a rubberised one.

I assume this is the hose under scrutiny?

16042009043.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

But they were designed not to have servo assist - these aren't!

I know this is an old thread but I thought Id clear this up, by law any vehicle with a braking approval - so anything on the road basically - will have to have been checked with the servo failed to make sure it can still be stopped quick enough with an adaquate pedal pressure, ie not some big bloke stamping on it and pulling on the steering wheel too! yes it will take longer to stop than with the servo but not miles and miles longer :) so dont worry folks, just push that pedal harder if it goes.

The problem is more to do with the engine than braking, If it splits you will still be gatting vacume there will not be total loss unless the pipe falls off and the

brake will only be slightly more heavy if anything you just feel a pulsating on the brake pedal. The engine will be sucking in more air than the ECU is accounting

for so the engine will almost die when you come to a stop and hunt when your at a stop until the ECU can compensate. What seems to happen is you brake the

engine almost stalls and then the revs shoot up as the ECU tries to compensate then once you are stopped the rev counter will be pulsating up and down more

than normal that corresponds with the pedal pulsating. Its not unique to the lupo it happens on many cars. My dad was driving a fleet car as it had the same symptoms.

I don't know where they take the cars but they could not pick up on what it was so my dad was having a go at working it out. As soon as i heard the engine i could tell what

it was straight away as there was a little hiss where the air was being sucked in through the vacuum pipe and the engine was hunting. The same symptoms happen

when the vapour canister purge valve is stuck open as again the engine gets more air than the sensors/ECU are accounting for at such low RPM.

• 4 months later...

It may have - the easiest thing to do is call up your local SEAT dealer and ask, they should be able to check for you and if it is affected (and hasn't already been done) they can book you in for it :)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

this may seem stupid but where should i look to check the condition of the hose? where abouts in the engine bay?

thanks

James b

The hose runs from the servo(Where the brake fluid pot is attached on top of) on the drivers side, then behind the engine to the throttle body.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone had any luck getting the pipe replaced free of charge, if the car is not built between 98 and 99? Seems silly considering my 2000 model has the same brittle plastic pipe that the recall cars have..

Dealer quoted me £86 for a servo repair kit is this correct?

Thanks

170BHP

Has anyone had any luck getting the pipe replaced free of charge, if the car is not built between 98 and 99? Seems silly considering my 2000 model has the same brittle plastic pipe that the recall cars have..

Dealer quoted me £86 for a servo repair kit is this correct?

Thanks

170BHP

£86 lol, Unless you have full VW service history, they won't even look at the car. Or they will tell you they know nothing about the fault! (Even though VW has recalls on nearly every model at the time for the same fault)

What model Lupo do you have, I will give you the part number.

£86 lol, Unless you have full VW service history, they won't even look at the car. Or they will tell you they know nothing about the fault! (Even though VW has recalls on nearly every model at the time for the same fault)

What model Lupo do you have, I will give you the part number.

Should the cost be nowhere near £86? They quoted for a servo repair kit?-is this anything more than the basic pipe which needs to be replaced? Its a 2000 1.4 Sport.

thanks