Pioneer `DEH-P77MP` Installation. Erm... Help? Help!

Now bearing in mind we've had the car for 3 days with exactly 17miles on the clock when I picked her up. I can't mess this installation up :shock:

Fact is...I told the missus "Sure it'll be easy to fit sweetheart, it'll just be plug and play, a sinch"

Bollox it is.

I removed the old head unit easy enough (thanks to the keys the dealership gave me) but when I looked at the VW connections and the very different Pioneer connections....I bottled it. Looks way different.

Here's a pic (you don't need to congratulate me on my photochop skillz...

PioneerDEHP77MP.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

1st question.

Where does no1 the speaker connections go? Doesn't appear to be anything to connect them too.

Any connections I need to change to 2 & 4? Battery and system remote control?

3.Anything to 6?

4. The aerial connection no5 appears not to fit. Adaptor?

:sigh: Look someone please tell me how to install it. No nice dinners for me this weekend if I don't...Or anything else.

Thanks fellas 8)

Righto.

Basically, all car stereos in the last few years use the ISO standard, which means that there is a `8-pin` plug that deals with power, and an 8 pin plug that deals with speakers. When you removed the VW radio from the Lupo, you'd have had to unplug these (one is black, one is brown) along with the aerial connector.

It appears that these two plugs both plug into the single large connector you've marked as '7' on your diagram - one will go in the top half, and one in the bottom. Don't worry about getting them the wrong way round - they'll only fit one way.

To answer some of your other questions: Firstly, what you've marked as '1' is the RCA speaker output - this is used to connect to an external amplifier, which you're not using. You can ignore this.

The 'system remote control' is an odd one - I'm not sure whether this refers to switching on an external amplifier, controlling an electric aerial, or possibly referring to a switched live line. But whatever it is, you probably don't need to change it.

The battery line may need altering - when you install the new unit into the Lupo, test it before mounting it fully. Switch the ignition on, then switch the radio on. When you remove the key (the key needs to be removed, not just turned to the off position), does the new radio switch off? If yes, the wiring is fine, otherwise, you will need to swap the battery wire with the switched live wire - this should be documented in the instruction manual, and there's usually a very simple way of doing it.

Number 6, the mute line, is used for a carphone kit, to mute the stereo when a call comes in. Can be safely left.

Aerial connector will not fit, as you've found. You need an adaptor from Halfords, specifically for a VW. The VW aerial is amplified, and this amplifier is switched on and off by the VW radio. When you install a replacement radio, you need to install the `VW-specific` adaptor, which also has a wire that activates the aerial amplifier. This needs to be connected to the switched aerial output on the new device - again, this wire should be documented in the instruction manual. If you don't do this, you will receive poor AM reception and less than perfect FM reception.

I hope I haven't made this seem too complicated - basically, in order to get it to work and play CDs, all you need to do is plug the black and brown connectors from the car into the large connector on the back of the new unit. Anything else is just tweaking to make it work as well as possible.

Oh, and I should point out the Halfords don't have a franchise on the aerial adaptors - any decent car shop that has an in car audio section should be able to supply you with one - they're needed in every VW for the last 10 years or so!

with regards to the yellow wire (no2) this needs to go to permanent positive (straight to the battery or a live connection regardless if the car is on or off) if it isnt then everytime you switch your car off, your player will loose all its settings sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

number 6 needs a bit of insulation tape on the end of the wire, if it catches on the body work shorting it, then it will damage the radio

same with the blue wire (no7) when the radio is switched on, that wire becomes 'live' wich as snoop said is used for switching on amps , aeriels etc . but seeing that its not cut it will be fine

have fun, looks like a fancy bit of kit

btw you sure its a panasonic ? i think its a pioneer biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

It is! LoL! I think that shows how anxious I was about the install! Anyway it was a little fiddley but easy enough to do with snoopstahs instructions. Works fine and sounds great.

Blackrat.

You mention no 2 has to go 'permanent positive' or I'll lose all the settings once it's switched off.

How to I do this?

Thanks.

Andy.

QUOTE(Blackrat)
with regards to the yellow wire (no2) this needs to go to permanent positive (straight to the battery or a live connection regardless if the car is on or off) if it isnt then everytime you switch your car off, your player will loose all its settings sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Yeah you're right. No stored settings. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

How do I set wire 2 to permanent positive?

Please?

the easiest way ... find permanent positive ...

the way you go about doing that is with an elictrical multimeter, but chances are you dont have one eh ?

hmmmmmm

a 12v light bulb is one way if you are really desperate biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> , hahhaha this is like science class when i was about 12 years old, sitting with a bunch of lemons, copper plate, and a roll of wire trying to get the bulb to glow.. sorry getting a bit off topic

what you need to do is switch the car off, pull the key out of the ignition.

now you need some means of finding a live wire ,if u holding the opposite of what plugs into number 7 you will have the correct wire in you hand, problem is you will have a bunch of others too

to be honest i cant think of an easy way of telling ya atm

QUOTE(Blackrat)
the easiest way ... find permanent positive ...  

the way you go about doing that is with an elictrical multimeter, but chances are you dont have one eh ?

hmmmmmm

a 12v light bulb is one way if you are really desperate biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> , hahhaha this is like science class when i was about 12 years old, sitting with a bunch of lemons, copper plate, and a roll of wire trying to get the bulb to glow.. sorry getting a bit off topic

what you need to do is switch the car off, pull the key out of the ignition.

now you need some means of finding a live wire ,if u holding the opposite of what plugs into number 7 you will have the correct wire in you hand, problem is you will have a bunch of others too

to be honest i cant think of an easy way of telling ya atm

:?: Thanks.

Buy a multi meter mate, you can gt one for a fiver, Im im sure one day, you'll be buying amps and you'll be glad you did.

Useing the negitive wire off the multi meter, touch the paint work on the door.

Then with the key out of the igniton, use the possitive (red) wire from the multi meter to touch the cables to see which one is providing power.

Hope that akes sence, its quite late.

Thats the stereo i've had my eye on for ages and ages, this will be great for when I get mine as I resent letting halfords do it, I reacon I could do a better job and i'm a dunce with electronics.

Delvard, can you post some pretty pics please when its all installed, would love to see! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

OK been away for a few days, so sorry I haven't updated this post. Sorted it all out and it was easy.

The cables that needed deconnecting and reconnecting together where the yellow [no2] and the blue[no4], All working fine and the units now saving tuner settings etc etc. Still couldn't have done it without all your help so thanks everyone.

AndyW.

Yeah promise I'll post some pics tomorrow! Its a fantastic headunit. So user friendly you don't really need the oparating manual. It's really intuative.

Thankyou sir, if you could do that that would be great. If you haven't taken them yet could I be a pain and ask if you could take a shot extra from 'further' away, like showing the whole interior, I'm trying to get an idea how it well it will fit in as I'm fussy, not want it to stick out to much and want it to look classy.

Thankyou kind sir again! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />