Macbooks

Mattwilko92

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After trying my friend Macbook she recently bought for University for just under £1,000, personally I would rather spend £1,000 on a top of the spec laptop.

Lukus you've been told before stay out of apple / mac related threads. your input is not required or wanted freedom of speech or not...

Personal preference aside, the new Macbooks look like very strong machines, the last ones were pretty decent but with the new design I'd say they are a good buy.

They are expensive, but **** it, if we all bought tesco value beans the world would be a duller place.

Personal preference aside, the new Macbooks look like very strong machines, the last ones were pretty decent but with the new design I'd say they are a good buy.

They are expensive, but **** it, if we all bought tesco value beans the world would be a duller place.

Very very true :lol:

One will never change the mind of an Apple lover!

IMO for media and general web surfing the Mac is great with the added bonus that it looks good.

Just don't try and use it for business applications or serious computing.

I had an iBook and the logic bard failed at 4 years. £300+ to replace the board: self fit. Or just under £400 for a new Windows based good spec notebook? I know where my pennies were directed.

I still love Macs and their design, but IMO there are better ways to spend your money. I still have iPods and iTunes which run perfectly well on my PC and notebook and I use an Apple AirportExpress for streaming iTunes to my hi-fi.

There are some pretty good looking PC based notebooks out there now with a lot better value for money.

Servicing of the Macs is also difficult and expensive. 2 screws and a tug removes the HDD from most PC notebooks whereas my iBook was about 40 screws; which was a complete unit strip down and the logic board et al out of the case!

Good luck, but I would spend my money (and have) on a decent spec PC based notebok and installed Windows XP Pro with all Service Packs and updates.

Why not spend the money on a notebook for which there are Apple drivers available and have the best of both worlds with the the dual boot option.

Student discount isn't what it once was.

Enjoy your choice whatever it is.

Sold me old style MacBook on Thursday, bought a new 2.4Ghz glass and aluminium MacBook on Friday, arrived here on Saturday :)

I shan't bang on about Mac's though. I have a MacBook and an iPhone - I don't think I need say anything!

Sold me old style MacBook on Thursday, bought a new 2.4Ghz glass and aluminium MacBook on Friday, arrived here on Saturday :)

I shan't bang on about Mac's though. I have a MacBook and an iPhone - I don't think I need say anything!

What spec did you have on the 2.4Ghz mate? I asume your pleased with it :)

It's a bog standard 2.4Ghz apart from the extra 2GB of RAM to take it up to 4GB.

Very impressed with it, yeah. I installed the new Photoshop CS4 on it last night and it flies.

Superb, glad to hear your liking it mate. Did you buy direct from apple? online or instore? If on online did apple deliever next day delievry?

got an imac as a home computer, once youve spent 5 minutes on it, and set everything up the way you want- you realise just how crap PCs are.

PCs might have the upper hand on things like speadsheets and other boring crap like that, but being a Graphic design student i couldnt really care less.

on the lookout for a good deal on a 2nd hand macbook at the moment, and a copy of Adobe creative suite CS3 if anyones got one knocking about? :lol:

got an imac as a home computer, once youve spent 5 minutes on it, and set everything up the way you want- you realise just how crap PCs are.

PCs might have the upper hand on things like speadsheets and other boring crap like that, but being a Graphic design student i couldnt really care less.

on the lookout for a good deal on a 2nd hand macbook at the moment, and a copy of Adobe creative suite CS3 if anyones got one knocking about? :lol:

Ive got a version you can..Oh wait. Windows only ;)

Ive nothing against the mac. I love the looks on them and everything but you can get alot better for the money.

My Vaio laptop is top spec and in a mac equiv you would be looking at £1500 when i bought this. I only payed £800 for mine.

Dont start with the old "I dont like vista" tune. Everyone i speak to loves vista including me. Not had a problem with it...

If your ONLY doing graphic/web design, Go mac. If you want to do anything else...Go PC :)

Ive nothing against the mac. I love the looks on them and everything but you can get alot better for the money.

My Vaio laptop is top spec and in a mac equiv you would be looking at £1500 when i bought this. I only payed £800 for mine.

Dont start with the old "I dont like vista" tune. Everyone i speak to loves vista including me. Not had a problem with it...

If your ONLY doing graphic/web design, Go mac. If you want to do anything else...Go PC :)

If you want a PC - Buy a PC

If you want a computer - Buy a mac.

Seriously - PC's and Mac's are nothing like these days - The only similarities are that you can get just as many programs for macs than you can for windows machines.

Macs - Everything works first time, Plug and play devices REALLY ARE plug and play. Windows is a nightmare, virtually nothing works first time, Takes forever to load up, has to be re-formatted once or twice a year and is prone to obtaining viruses and slowing down over time.

You get none of that with a mac. I used to be a propper windows machine geek, built myself a new machine every year to the very best spec I could afford, Up until 2 years ago, I bought the macbook I've got now, and never looked back. My bloody pressure is lower now than it was then too as a result!

and the thing about "Specification numbers" in terms of GB's, GHz's etc is that An equal spec between a Mac and a PC will run much better on a mac.

A mac with a 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo processor is the equivilant to having a 3.0ghz processor in a PC.

Edited by nfbr

Photoshop CS4 :o ..... I want one of those dot com!!!

Edit: To Jon .... did you just sell your old one or did you trade it in or something? Also what do you think of the new one .... better than the old one??

Edited by alice

Its not the fact that i hate it as such, its just im bored and vista is no different to xp, except it has better networking. I just dont get on well with vista as i find it slower on my PC and it crashes alot, and as NFBR said virtually nothing works first time.

Main reason for this topic is that i'm bored of vista, fancy a change of OS and beens ive heard such good things about Mac's, i thought id ask clublupo :)

is that true about mac specs running quicker?

I would like to see some proof. Benchmarks etc..

Im not going to turn this into a mac vs PC debate as we have had enough of that so ill let it be :)

Photoshop CS4 :o ..... I want one of those dot com!!!

Edit: To Jon .... did you just sell your old one or did you trade it in or something? Also what do you think of the new one .... better than the old one??

If you're good with CS2 or CS3, don't bother with CS4. I wouldn't have if work hadn't bought it. It's a lot more complicated. CS2 was the best balance between ease of use and features I reckon.

I flogged my MacBook on eBay and it went for £600 - I'd only paid £680 or so for it about 18 months ago :lol:

@ Matt - I ordered from Amazon.co.uk actually, because even with Saturday delivery it was cheaper than using the Apple Store. Plus if you scout around Google it's easy to find the odd money off code here and there for a little extra discount.

If you want to try Mac then I reckon you should, but just remember it isn't Windows and you'll need to get used to the little things like keys in different places, etc... I bought a Mac Mini a couple of years ago and sold it after a couple of months because I wasn't in the mood to use it. Then I thought I'd give it another try with the MacBook and I'm pleased I did.