im on a virgin media 10mb line

and just done a speed test and these results came out

Speed Test Results

Date 24/10/08 23:30:58

Speed Down 321.36 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )

Speed Up 166.60 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )

Port 8095

Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk

i even tried downloading something from virgin medias games site and it was downloading at an average speed of around 60kbps

on a 10mb line should i not be seeing at least a 1mb ps download speed?

i dont see why i dont really download much at all because of the speed it downloads at

at the most i download an album at 80mb maybe 1ce or 2ce a week?

dont see why i should have hit a cap?

last week i downloaded a demo on xbox live at 740mb

but this speed has been constantly slow for a couple weeks now

i would but virginmedia charge you 25p per minute to speak about broadband

Not if you use this site and get a freephone number ;)http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

Cant remember who originally posted the link to this site, but thank you very much its been useful ever since!!

I work for BT so i know the lingo, it depends on what wires are going to your house.. Copper or Fibre Optic? Obviously if its fibre optic then you should be having mega fast speeds, and as that is virgin uses in its own private network you should be getting 10MB been a virgin customer. If you have copper going to your broadband line, then it all depends on how far you live from your telephone exchange, the further away - the slower the speeds you get.

As said above though, virgin (like everything else) is upgrading their network so customers do suffer problems time to time.

How long has your broadband been slow?

couple weeks or so well my broadband ain't thru a phone wire so I would say it's fiber optic it's a fairly thick cable...llookin at my down speeds it's the equivalent of less than a 1mb line

My advice would be to contact virgin then mate, they provide fibre optic cable so u can get the speeds of over 10MB, and if your getting around 1MB then thats clearly not right, ring them up and they will sort it out :)

First of all contact Virgin Media because your modem is more than likely out of date. You can call them for free on 151 providing you have a Virgin Media land line and they will send you out one for free. You will need to call them again to register the MAC address of the modem.

Secondly clear your temp files. Start > Run > Temp. A folder called temp will pop up...delete everything inside it.

Thirdly you will need to run a broadband optimiser program (Virgin Media will also instruct you to do this after receiving your new modem).

4) My mate has 20mb and he never gets 20mb and has done all of the above...Virgin Media are constantly working on the line and it depends how many other people on your road are using the internet. They are working on the line because sooner or later 10mb will be the slowest broadband they will offer. Small > 10mb, medium > 20mb and fast > 50mb.

5) If your not getting any faster drop to their 2mb package as your download and upload speed is similar to my 2mb line...why go faster if you can't get fast?

Get me bloodfire.

Edited by Niche

i thought virgin was fiber optic now?

if my broadband goes slow i turn the router on and off and its fixed... I have a netgear router. probably do it once every month.... there are 3 mac laptops connecting to its wifi.... PS3 and two Xbox 360s.... one blackberry and two iphones... its a very busy router.... :lol:

I don't have wireless, no need for it really the modem I have was frm NtL first started doing broadband, so I think it mightbe partly thy not being able to cope with the higher speeds, I shud of been issued with a newer 1 sen upgrading to the 10mb line

I'm on a 2mb Virgin line and it's generally fine. I've never hit restriction, but I understand they slow you down at peak times (evenings I think) for the rest of the month. Occasionally it bombs completely and then starts working again for no apparent reason. For £4.50 a month, I'm not complaining!

I work for BT so i know the lingo, it depends on what wires are going to your house.. Copper or Fibre Optic? Obviously if its fibre optic then you should be having mega fast speeds, and as that is virgin uses in its own private network you should be getting 10MB been a virgin customer. If you have copper going to your broadband line, then it all depends on how far you live from your telephone exchange, the further away - the slower the speeds you get.

Virgin broadband still comes in your house via copper cable - their fibre optic claims are a bit misleading. It's only fibre optic to the green cabinet, then it uses copper coaxial cable to your house.