Supercharging Kits

veedubdude

Right guys, there has been alot of people asking about information regarding superchargers. What Ive been thinking of is developing a kit that contains everything you need to get the mini cooper eaton M45 working. Brackets, belts, and hopefully a mapping package. There is not much available tuning-wise for the later small block VW engines which is really what is currently driving me to do this...

How much interest would there be in this is basically what I need to know.

DIY with a kit and basic mapping package (without the supercharger, as it may be in your interest to purchase one from ebay rather than me try and locate them at £x amount.) Ive been looking at this for a few months now, and although Ive still got to ground a few prices, I reckon production wise we could get them out for close to the £1000 mark.

Obviously this will not include uprated internals or radiators etc. and will not be as full blown as the jobs with standalone ECU's but it will be a starting point, and for the price it should be good bang-per-buck!

You'd be looking at a safe 50bhp increase on the 100bhp 1.4 16V engines, and the 125bhp 1.6 16v engines.

So what's everyones thoughts?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what exactly would you be giving with this kit?

Other than belts, brackets and a basic map?

Would we have to source our own intercooler? boost pipes? Do we need a different throttle body? Will it still use drive by wire and not cable?

You would be getting everything apart from the supercharger itself - a complete package.

Im not going to go into all the technicalities as Ive spent a blooming long time researching everything - but drive-by-wire, or cable doesnt matter. What it boils down to is the ECU make believe it or not. Im still getting all the informaton together on this part of the kit, but its looking like this - if you're running a Bosch ECU it'll be a fairly simple map by the OBD port like any normal remap. However if you are running the magnetti marelli ECU there could be a chip required before remap so therefore ECU removal. However this is not definite and I wont know this until I get a test car with a MM ECU on the rollers.

Im basically using this thread as a feeler as it is pointless me doing this if nobody is interested!

It sounds very interesting and something i would be interested in if you were to get a kit together. One thing i was wondering though, there has been all of this talk of standard internals on the GTI not being able to cope with this, but as i understand you are going to be running them in your 1.4 Turbo. So i guess we will see what they can cope with once your project is finished. But they should be able to cope with 175bhp, right?

A low power conversion would need the following id think:

Charger

Brackets + Bolts

Belt

Idler Pulley

Ducting/piping

Intercooler

Map sensor

Piggyback ECU with mapping (low boost only)

Atmospheric blow off valve

Air inlet filter

Decent instructions

If you have A/C then youd need 2 new custom pipes.

Gti will ned a new smaller performance radiator whatever,

A high power conversion you would need:

Charger

Brackets + Bolts

Belt

Idler Pulley

Ducting/piping

Intercooler

Map sensor

Standalone ECU and live mapping

Forged pistons

Forged conrods with ARP bolts

Decompression plate

Air inlet filter

If you have A/C then you'd need 2 new custom pipes

and again a GTi will need a new radiator

And the big one..... A lot of technical ability!

Edited by CasperGTI

A low power conversion would need the following id think:

Charger

Brackets + Bolts

Belt

Idler Pulley

Ducting/piping

Intercooler

Map sensor

Piggyback ECU with mapping (low boost only)

Air inlet filter

Decent instructions

If you have A/C then youd need 2 new custom pipes.

What would you consider low power? Im definately interested in doing this in spring when im back on my feet cash wise.

70 sounds good haha aslong as the internals are ok with that because ill have a mani on by then, do you think my exhaust system has enough flow to handle 180ish bhp?? :)

yeah but i doubt you will see that from the £1000 kit.

Paulbins is 180. and that cost alot more than £1000 i can tell you that

mabe that was a bit over the top, a low power kit would be 50 max

Yea hopefully by then that should be ok anyway fingers crossed. If I had the knowhow id attempt it on my own but I dont.

Suppose if not with 150ish bhp my car would fly anyway haha, god help you in yours mate ;) haha

Edited by electricpanda