Hoobies..

electricpanda

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL @ fruit booter.

I don't have any hobbies any more really, retired from racing r/c cars a few years ago after 10 years of doing it.

Most of my money goes on my cars and any spare goes on nights out with my mates.

My main hobbies are:

Jujitsu, Escrima, Capoeira, Squash, Scuba Diving, Japanese Language, Xbox & the violin.

Iv just joined the Capoeira society at university... its such good fun, had 10mins in the hodda at the end of the lesson as i was the new guy and "fought" the instructor last, was all over me like a bad rash haha

I used to do a bit of motorcross but them days are over now due to injuries, flying remote control planes is always a winner tho.

Flying r/c planes is hard. I've tried and failed! The lack of competition and racing put me off.

My old AE RC10B4 at the Batley indoor regional, fitted with my lucky pink gear cover from making my first A final at the previous regional.

9f22a5fa.jpg

My X Factory X6, which was crap.

DSC_0004.jpg

I also raced these which were insanely fast. Even went to the European championships for this class. (not my car pictured though)

trcc1.jpg

Flying r/c planes is hard. I've tried and failed! The lack of competition and racing put me off.

My old AE RC10B4 at the Batley indoor regional, fitted with my lucky pink gear cover from making my first A final at the previous regional.

9f22a5fa.jpg

My X Factory X6, which was crap.

DSC_0004.jpg

I also raced these which were insanely fast. Even went to the European championships for this class. (not my car pictured though)

trcc1.jpg

They have competions at the clubs ect and chasing birds never fails to amuse me lol ive always like cars as well had a few in my time nothing spectacular tho lol thinking about boats next :)

For me it's snowboardin (not been in ages due to back injury march time looking good if i can find someone to take with) and recently got back into kayaking I have a mountain bike which i ride on the road with road tyres but that's more of a fitness thing really and hoping to get into kiteboarding next summer too

i notice a few of you are into climbing i've been a few times and loved it how did you guys get into it???

You've got to be kidding. Flying RC planes on your own is hard but with training anyone can get the hang of it eventually. Much more of a challenge than cars. As for lack of competition what are you on about control line, static displays, scale flying, pylon racing (so many catagories I won't list them), racing gliders, aerobatic flying, 3D flying, formation flying, free flight, duration flying, indoor competitions in the winter, helicopter 3D flying. Need I go on?

I've raced cars and yes it's a laugh for a while but there's only so much you can do with 2 channels.

As you might be able to tell my main hobby is RC Helicopters, Planes and Gliders. I also do Budo mixed martial arts. Been training for 4 and a half years. Aiming for my second dan now.

My main hobbies are:

Jujitsu, Escrima, Capoeira, Squash, Scuba Diving, Japanese Language, Xbox & the violin.

What style of ju jitsu , bbj, tradition, or just a mma style?

capoeira looks pretty but tbh doesnt have much use in the real world, its just spinny dancing ha ha

You've got to be kidding. Flying RC planes on your own is hard but with training anyone can get the hang of it eventually. Much more of a challenge than cars. As for lack of competition what are you on about control line, static displays, scale flying, pylon racing (so many catagories I won't list them), racing gliders, aerobatic flying, 3D flying, formation flying, free flight, duration flying, indoor competitions in the winter, helicopter 3D flying. Need I go on?

I've raced cars and yes it's a laugh for a while but there's only so much you can do with 2 channels.

As you might be able to tell my main hobby is RC Helicopters, Planes and Gliders. I also do Budo mixed martial arts. Been training for 4 and a half years. Aiming for my second dan now.

Don't get me wrong I admire the skill it takes to fly these planes, it's just not my bag.

Racing nose to tail with someone for 8 minutes, trying to find a way past, or defending your own position is incredibly hard, especially when at times we were hitting up to 60mph on straights the length of a small leisure centre! That's what I enjoyed and that's why I don't do flying. :)

i notice a few of you are into climbing i've been a few times and loved it how did you guys get into it???

I got into climbing when I joined the Marines. First outing was whilst in training: some simple stuff in North Wales whilst on adventure training.

I progressed on to slightly harder things and the natural progression is to move into Winter climbing or mountaineering.

Hillwalking is an enjoyable pastime on it's own, but is also an essential skill to get into and out of mountain climbs.

Best way to try it out is to go to a wall and book a session with an instructor, or find someone you know who does it and learn from them.

Indoor is good for beginners, but there's nothing like real rock, real weather and real thrills. There are loads of different types of climbing, but IMO traditional is best. Get some experience under your belt and then get onto some of the big mountain routes.

Once you have a couple of summer seasons under your belt, you will have a bit of an understanding and can make a descision if winter climbing is for you.

Nothing better than topping out after a good winter climb to a blue sky and walk off the hill in a sunset and a pint of real ale!

One thing I'd say is take the time to learn the required skills and build up your equipment. Don't forget navigation is as important as rope and climbing skills.

I remember my first day at our local capoeira club (only a few months ago), I couldn’t believe how flexible some of them where, I found my first (play) fight a strange experiance but it was all good spirited and fun.

I study Jikishin Jujitsu, it’s a combination of tradition and modern techniques but i would say its very self defence based. Our dojo also sometimes has a bleed of other arts included as well as just syllabus work, so we sometimes incorporate a little TKD, Boxing, Judo & Escrima bits into our class.

I agree that Capoeira isn’t something I would use in a fight but I do love the relaxed and just fun approach to the normal “do as much damage as possible”. Also I think it has really helped me with balance, coordination and flexibility that has made a difference.

Do you study anything Scotty??

I try my hand at snowboarding in the winter months (if/when we get any decent snow!), and occasionally go into Xscape to the indoor slopes throughout the year.

I also have an interest in photography and painting - but I am rubbish at both! :huh: I just don't have the eye or imagination. :(

Well I fell over, which isn't un normal as you'll know so I thought nothing of it. But when I got home I was sat on msn and my chair felt wet and I realised I was bleeding through my joggers haha. Plus I have a friction burn the length of my arm :(

All in good fun though and I managed to land what I was trying.. Still thinking about sailing toy yaughts or something safer haha.

Well I fell over, which isn't un normal as you'll know so I thought nothing of it. But when I got home I was sat on msn and my chair felt wet and I realised I was bleeding through my joggers haha. Plus I have a friction burn the length of my arm :(

All in good fun though and I managed to land what I was trying.. Still thinking about sailing toy yaughts or something safer haha.

Wimp! Falling from a skateboard or bike in a civilised area is not falling.

Try a 30ft leader fall 600ft up a cliff, which leaves you suspended from a small piece of steel or alloy on an 8mm rope 60ft below the point from which you detatched from the face trying to decide what the bloomin' hell happened and what am I doing here 10 miles from the closest road with no telephone coverage. Add to that, in winter, two deadly implements flying around on the end of you arms and lots of sharp pointy things on your feet. Then we have a fall!

Oh and one's climbing partner saying "hang on while I take a photo!" ---click, click, click --- "right, are you OK"

I have never had a bad fall, but Amanda got a bit fed up of me being delivered home in various states needing to go to casualty for minor treatment. When I do climb now I tend to focus on the classics, a bit easier, but the wow factor is ace!

I have been in the Mountain Rescue for 14 years and have never needed their service myself, so I feel I am well in credit if the need arises!

:blush:

I use to play "super air" Paintball. I use to get to go around europe to compete.

It was great fun, but very expensive to play!

Haven't played in over a year though, just not had the time.

I must say though it was a great stress reliever... hard to explain, but shooting the granny out of someone felt..... great...

:)