Wet roads and lowered cars

Perhaps your in reverse? :lol:

Well yeah bein me i probs am lol, even flat out 2nd an 3rd gear round abouts in the wet wont do anythin. Even been tryin to make it understeer an it wont have any of it haha. Is my car a freak????

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even as standard they are pretty rubbish in the wet. Well that is if you have rubbish brand tyres.

When i got mine it had cheapo tyres on, it would bearly do rounabouts at 15mph in the wet without wanting to take the closest exit! It was horendous. Although i changed to some contis and the grip was awsome, but improved. Ive now tried a whole load of different brands, and all i can say is, it generally pays to pay more for your tyres, and get a good brand!

Cheap tyres dont have silica in them, which is what you need for good wet weather grip.

Tyre pressures doent do much in the wet, lower is generally a bit better, i have mine set to the lowest pressure, but tyre shoulder wear is pretty heavy.

Oh, id never recommend more pressure in the rears than the fronts on these, or other front drive cars, your just asking for trouble!

The less pressure you have in the front, the larger the footprint.

Wouldn't this help with understeer?

Well, not really, Yes slightly lower pressure in the front is a little better for grip, although it means most of the cornering forces will be on your tyre edge, so they will wear super quick.

But then, the less pressure the more weight is put on the widewalls, leaving the middle of the tyres will less weight, meaning less grip fron the centre of thr tyres. Or thats how i look at it, and what ive read suggests.

I did experiment with a set of old 14" steels recently, i inflated them to 40PSi front and 35psi rear (so within the tyres limits of 44) at first, the steering was super sharp and the grip in the dry was not too bad actually, as the sidewall didnt flex as much. Although the ride was bad, as you would expect, and the steering felt too jittery and light, but gave a lot of feedback. Grip in the wet was awsful, just pushed straight on.

I then (after letting the tyres cool) dropped the pressure to 26psi front and 25 psi rear. The ride was super nice, didnt feel as jittery as normal, the steering was nice and weighted (its usually very light on mine for somereason), the dry grip was impressive, loads of it, although when pushed the tyres howled and, when i checked, the tyres had been rolling right onto the sidewalls, wet grips was worse than at normal pressure, tyre wear will obviously be prettt poor and feedback was num.

Obviously its not recommended to run at those pressures, i just thought it try see how mcuh difference they made. Plus my car had a funny knocking on the steering, so i was trying to see if the pressures made it worse so i could demonstrate the knock to tha garage!

As a general rule, more pruessure in the front will increase over steer, and more in the back (than the front especially) will increase understeer.

But dont go rund with under or over inflated tyres, into not a good idea! Keep around the recommended pressures.

I tend to have 30/1 in the front and 28/9 in the backs.

Edited by cardaft

I've heard it argued that low tyre pressure can decrease grip, as although there's a greater surface area, there's now less weight per square inch of tyre on the tarmac. I'd say you're better off sticking with reccomended pressures too.

And a good make of tyre!

I've got 165/50/15s and it can be a bit slippery in the wet but as long as you don't drive it like a helmet its not going anywhere. You can kick it about in the wet and it will slide but its not a bad sliding about, its very easy to control and you just need to make sure you don't give it to much throttle. I'm no race car driver but even I can give my Lupo with narrower tyres than stock some abuse in the wet and feel safe.

I'd rather slide everywhere in a lowered car than drive a standard lupo which feels like it's going to topple over.

Jelly suspension FTW.

Polo 9N must have a completely different setup as it corners completely flat.

Even though I have steels it corners better than a Lupo Sport. Can't wait until I get my Bridgestones on the front.

How new are the tyres, because "they" say you shud becareful with them for the first 500 miles to scrub them in as they use an oily based substance in the factory to remove them from the mould which makes them uber slippery when wet.

Its all that excess weight sticking you to the road!

You call hing hm porky? :lol:

That's bad. All the little beasties will be able to climb from your floor onto the upholstery to lay their eggs. The legs are there so only the really fit ones make it: therefore encouraging superbreeding. It helps more if you polish them regularly!

You sir are playing with evolution!

Jeez! The young of today...

:coffee:

:lol:

if that is true i will eat my beard!!!

Actually it is based on a truth.

I watched a documentary on TV a while back and it was about historic living and furniture design.

Apparently the cast iron or brass bedstead was developed to stop the beasties crawling up the legs back in the olden times.

I don't know wether it's true, but it was in colour; so I believed it. If there any furniture history buffs out there, would you like to confirm?

...or not!

Checked last night and the tyres are called 'Event' which after some research are Dutch budget tyres.

They certainly live upto there name when you go over a wet drain cover :lol:

Increased the tyres to 32 psi on the fronts last night and waiting for another rainy day.

As stated before low speeds on roundabouts are tricky

Have had the tyres a while now and only noticing again, when the weather is getting worse

Will have to dig out the tracking information tonight

I'd rather slide everywhere in a lowered car than drive a standard lupo which feels like it's going to topple over.

Jelly suspension FTW.

Polo 9N must have a completely different setup as it corners completely flat.

Even though I have steels it corners better than a Lupo Sport. Can't wait until I get my Bridgestones on the front.

Yup, lupos are not the best handling cars ever, although your polo has a similar set up at the back to the lupo, although i think you might have a rear ARB? The Mk5 polo has different suspension, although ive not really driven one to find out how much better they are!

Checked last night and the tyres are called 'Event' which after some research are Dutch budget tyres.

They certainly live upto there name when you go over a wet drain cover :lol:

Increased the tyres to 32 psi on the fronts last night and waiting for another rainy day.

As stated before low speeds on roundabouts are tricky

Have had the tyres a while now and only noticing again, when the weather is getting worse

Will have to dig out the tracking information tonight

Ah, there you go then, cheap tyres are cheap for a reason ... ;)

Has anyone ever taken notice of the tyres halfords fit to their wheel deals? (not that im interested in those!) but have a glance at them next time your in, i swear, they are plastic! :o

"if that is true i will eat my beard!!!"

Actually it is based on a truth.

I watched a documentary on TV a while back and it was about historic living and furniture design.

Apparently the cast iron or brass bedstead was developed to stop the beasties crawling up the legs back in the olden times.

I don't know wether it's true, but it was in colour; so I believed it. If there any furniture history buffs out there, would you like to confirm?

...or not!

this hair and ham sandwich doesnt taste good AT ALL!