Judder/stutter between 1-2k revs

Right, my seemingly perfectly running car appears to be developing an annoying problem, can anyone give some advice?

Basically my GTi has a tendancy to judder bewteen 1-2k revs. It seems to happen on a light throttle when pootling in a high gear, usually 4th 5th or 6th. For example when accelerating gently from 20mph upto 30/35, short shifting, just a gentle touch of the throttle and it feels like the power is being strangled and you feel the car judder. Backing right off, then gently applying the throttle cures the problem. It seems to happen once the engine is at a normal running temp. (via the water gauge), rather than when it is cold. It is not a low revs/tall gear issue at all, ie me driving in 6th with less than 1k revs on the clock! It also happens in low gears, its just I like to drive to work in a taller, more relaxed gear.

My first thought was that it was due to poor quality fuel from Asda, my Dad had a similar problem with his st24 last year, and by running the car on Shell/Bp petrol (not 98 ron, just normal 95) almost totally eradicated the problem. I have since switched back to Shell, and it has improved a little, but is still there. The car runs otherwise perfectly, does about 38mpg consistently and has absolutly no performance issues. On full throttle there are never any juddering problems. It was serviced in February, and is due a 6000 mile/6 month oil change (just something I do myself).

My thoughts are leaning posibly towards the coil/leads, I know others have had issues with them. Any ideas?

:blink:

Edited by renandstimpey

Ive been told that this is a common problem with Lupo and Polo gtis alike.

A few threads on here about it apparently

I have it too now and again. I thought it was something stuck in the fuel line at first.

Ive been told that this is a common problem with Lupo and Polo gtis alike.

A few threads on here about it apparently

I have it too now and again. I thought it was something stuck in the fuel line at first.

Yes, that is how it feels when you drive and it happens, exactly! Like someone is strangling the air or the fuel getting to the engine.

Of topic, but nice piccy on your profile thingy by the way! Very cheeky but funny too. And you've got rid of the diesel? Welcome to the light side of the force!

Coil pack and HT lead issue.............check my diary out (last page I think)

Yeah, cheers for that Mike, you are indeed a mine of information! It was in fact your thread that made me think that it may be the coil pack/leads. Is it easy to change (the coil pack I mean, obv. the leads are a cinch!), bearing in mind I am someone who can put oil, petrol and water in a car (though not all at once, obviously) and not much else!

As a side note, this evening on the way home from work, I had "the judder" again, this time it went on for a good 7-8 seconds, and the epc light flickered on briefly on the dash, but went out as soon as it smoothed out. Any ideas anyone?

I also had the judder you speak of with the epc light.......this was an engine misfire when I got my mate to plug the GTI into diagnostics.

Its def your coil pack/leads and you might aswell change the spark plugs while everything is off..........the longer you leave it the worse it gets before she wont start or die on you

With battery disconnected, there are three bolts holding the coil pack on and the leads pop off.........I bet money that the two front nipples on the coil are corroded when the old leads come off

I also had the judder you speak of with the epc light.......this was an engine misfire when I got my mate to plug the GTI into diagnostics.

Its def your coil pack/leads and you might aswell change the spark plugs while everything is off..........the longer you leave it the worse it gets before she wont start or die on you

With battery disconnected, there are three bolts holding the coil pack on and the leads pop off.........I bet money that the two front nipples on the coil are corroded when the old leads come off

Cheers for that, I'll have a look at it once I get chance. It doesn't sound like much, but I keep getting the bloody judder when I try and pull away from junctions/lights etc, and has on a couple of occasions come close to me almost causing an accident as the car would simply not accelerate away (like pulling away in a turbo diesel with the turbo off boost and wondering if you really should have gone for that gap after all!)

Again, sorry to sound like a spaz, but pulling the battery leads off won't cause anything to reset etc under the bonnet? I know I will have to retune the radio (lol!) but it won't cause any probs i assume?

Does anyone know the part number for the coil pack cus mines doing this and i obviously need it sorting? ta

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Did any of you manage to solve the juddering/misfiring problems?

My car has been in and out of a vw garage for the last 4 months. They tried replacing the MAP sensor and also replacing the cylinder head and each time they declare it is mended it comes home and starts playing up again. The garage said that they haven't known this to be a problem with Lupos.

I am not mechanically minded but I hope it can be repaired! The car is 5 years old, in immaculate condition and only done 26,000 miles.

:confused::mellow::(

Tonight's the night for me, got a coil pack of 'Ebay and some leads from vw. Hope it's as simple as it sounds. will let you know how it goes.

Piece of cake! Moved the BMC out of the way, made a note of which lead goes to which plug and connection on the coil pack, took the electrical connector off (took the negative off the battery ten minues before all this) disconnected the spark plug ends, that just left the coil pack which just has three allen nuts to remove! Then just put all the new stuff on (nice new red leads) Clench buttocks when key turned but everything fine no juddering! great !

I paid £16 for the coil pack of ebay (+£4 p+p) and about £56 for the leads from VW (cus I wanted red ones!)

One new problem now- and I'm sure I've seen it somewhere on this site, my leads keep popping out of the spark plug holes leading to the engine misfiring. Every time I stop I have to pop it back down again! Very Annoying!

Just out of interest it did make a difference I've put some NGK's in and it's not doing it anymore! woohoo

• 6 years later...

Holy thread revival!

Got the same problem with my car currently. EPC came on a while back and cut power and I've been having judder at low revs with high load on the engine (going up hill in high gears for example). Just had a look at the HT leads and Coil Pack, no real corrosion, all the connectors look quite good actually! Not checked plugs yet as I need a thinner socket ( :rant: ) . It's not ALWAYS there (in fact I had this problem a while a go but it seemingly went away) though currently it's there a lot of time.

It's got pretty much exactly the same problems as the original post but I guess it could be something else...