A few GTI questions

M1 Lupo

Hi everyone,

I was wondering could some of you kind GTI owners give me a bit of advice please?

What is the GTI's real 0 - 60mph and quarter mile time as standard?

Is the handling really good as standard?

What sort of economy should I expect for urban / motorway use?

Has anyone fitted an Alpine stereo that requires the direct to battery feed? Did you have to run a cable to the boot?

Thanks in advance.

M1 Lupo :thumbs:

Mine is for sale but if i could afford it i'd keep it, I get around 40mpg though I do a lot of longer runs, never had it below 30 even when pressing on. I think the handling is great, quite soft and it leans a bit but holds the road well and gives good long distance comfort. `0-60` depends on the driver but is probably mid to high 7s, keeps up with the VTS 106 GTi crowd witout too much problem. quarters in the low 16s though it depends on if it's a five or a six speed for both. Six reqires another gear change so might be a bit slower over the measures but is faster in real road driving.

Don't think you need to run cables to the boot, most run a sub and amp from the boot battery though. Not into ICE but someone like loudlupo will be able to give you advice on that. :thumbs:

QUOTE(M1 Lupo)
Hi everyone,

I was wondering could some of you kind GTI owners give me a bit of advice please?

What is the GTI's real 0 - 60mph and quarter mile time as standard?

Is the handling really good as standard?

What sort of economy should I expect for urban / motorway use?

Has anyone fitted an Alpine stereo that requires the direct to battery feed? Did you have to run a cable to the boot?

Thanks in advance.

M1 Lupo :thumbs:

I havnt got a GTi so my battory is in the bonnet, but I do have an Alpine `CDA-7893R` which is a high powered unit. Orginaly I didnt connect it to the battory, but it cept blowing fuses. Now I have the diffrence is amazing!

Thanks Crusoe and Tigz for the advice!

I currently have a Lupo in TDi form which isnt shy! Its got an Alpine CDA9815RB run direct from the battery (I could have cried whilst drilling through to the engine bay). I want it in the new car and was thinking was it necessary to run a cable to the boot. For the sake of good sound and safety it will be done.

I'll have to wait till March but Ive decided for my 21st im trading in the oil burner to have a GTi as its been my object of desire for two years now. The diesel's exhaust note doesnt turn the mrs on ???

Sounds like you are a fan of your diesel, so you won't be disappointed with a GTi. You gonna buy new?

Isn't there a bulkhead hole for cables in the passenger footwell already? Seem to remember Loudlupo mentioning that.

I've done a 16.032 / 87.77mph at Santa Pod. 16.5 is easy.

Reckon 7.7 / 7.8 to 60

Get 35mpg round town, 40 on `A-roads`, and 48 on the motorway at a `70-75` cruise

Your right, I like my TDi. It has around 95 BHP and 175 pounds per foot of torque. Easily enough power for the Lupo chassis but no sexy GTi engine sounds.

Im planning on getting a new one in silver.

Never found a bulkhead hole, just made my own to run the 4 awg for the amps and 20 amp stereo cable.

I have to say the economy that possible looks quite good!

Do you think with a BMC carbon filter and cold air feed, a good cat back exhaust and a remap it would hit 60 in 6.5?

QUOTE(M1 Lupo)
Do you think with a BMC carbon filter and cold air feed, a good cat back exhaust and a remap it would hit 60 in 6.5?

Aye I imagen it will, but them BMC filters are not road legal, because it wouldnt get through an MOT your insurance wont insure your car.

Speak to Twisty, he knows the full details, cos Im sure I can remeber him telling me.

Wow, I didn't know that!

Twisty, any idea why there illegal?

Hang on, if I had a new GTi, no MOT for three years. Hmm, I could always put the air box back on the car for MOT's wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Aye you could, then when them extra 6 bhp you've added bite you in the balls, you can `re-fit` the origonal filter before the recovery truck turns up wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

The BMC panel filters are OK, but the carbon dynamics airbox is competition part only and not road legal.

CL had a rolling road day in March and a BMC CDA and a powerflow exhaust gave about 8bhp extra over standard, but no major gains in torque.

Wouldn't like to guess on the `0-60`. Would say (only a guess) if you want 6.5 secs your gonna need an increase of more than 8bhp.

Adrian Flux are cool with mods, but they wouldn't cover me with a CDA. I was too bothered about invalidating my insurance with the CDA. If you have a crash and for whatever reason you can't get to the car or open the bonnet and the insurance assessor finds the airbox they won't pay out.

To me it doesn't seem worth the risk for the sake of 4bhp and a bit of noise.

Its a tough decision, I like the filter but it may cause problems.

Lately I have been [i:post_uid0]very[/i:post_uid0] carefull driving round as I need my present car to be good to trade in. I plan to do the Institute of Advanced Motorists course before I go near a GTi as I want to better my driving skills. It may even reduce the insurance a little along with the upcoming 3 years ncb.

Seriously I wish I had time to go out and go to club meets!

Its not fun being at uni 4 days a week, working the fifth to finish off the work from the previous days. Then Saturday and Sunday part time work to earn money to run the car.

My other half still sees it as she must be round most nights too. So im not one to say no to a good night of entertainment.

Well I never knew that about the BMC filter, as I also had a few plans in mind for one of these after reading about some rolling road results.

Does that mean the Pipecross viper is illegal for road use to as that has the same sort of concept??

The bmc filter is legal, its the carbon dynamic airbox thats illegal as its a motorsport part.

Yes the viper is legal, id personally go for the green cotton dynatwist filter myself as the Green filters are good. Or be naughty and get the BMC one. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Cruesoe do you have the BMC CDA filter?