Tada's GReeeeN Lupo GTI - Last update 1.11.2014

tttttada

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, mk2 said:

I love this car! Not discovered this thread. Happy it's been revived... :)

Thanks! We rebuilt the engine with new valve seals, piston rings, and conrod bearings. The paint and acrylic windows are in really bad shape. May need a repaint.

Acrylic plastic is easy to revive. But you do need to flat it back with 600 grit (wet) paper. Then clearcoat with a very thin (and even, if you want it to be optically perfect) coating of 2k lacquer. Same for headlight lenses. :)

So all Lupo GTI 6 speed gearboxes (GVX, FUT and so on) are based on the bigger Polo 02T gearbox. The maine case, diff and gear design are the same as in a 5 speed 02T. 02T is the name of the family of the gearboxes and the three letter code, is what differentiate these gearboxes (in term of ratios and stuff). The main difference is fifth and sixth gear and the back case. So, 02T and 02U are almost the same. For you to belive me, i have installed in my 9N Polo a 6 speed FUT from a 2003 GTI, and is 100% plug and play. I've studied and the GTI gearboxes have the best gearing of all these 6 speed boxes, you only need a shorter ration final drive. I'm not sure about this info and it has to be checked and see if it fits, but the 1.2 6v 9N has a 02T with a 4.4 or 4.5:1 final drive, as opposed to our 4.19:1 ratios. Don't search for 12v gearbox, because that also has 4.19:1 ratios. Good luck!

Edited by Aditza579
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2019 at 11:12 AM, tttttada said:

So did a shakedown, and with the car revving to 8,000 rpm, I really need shorter gears. 

Anyone know if there's any matching gears or a final gear with a 4.5+ ratio?

Quaife do a gear kit I believe. 

Edit: Not for the 02T, but other variations of the 02 box. Not sure if these would fit. Also no CWP listed so you'd be stuck with the standard FD.

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/quaife-vag-6-speed-synchromesh-gearkit

Edited by cj1
  • Thanks 1