Heater Matrix

andyjc

Hello,

New member here and after some help!

I've just been told my heater matrix has gone and they want to charge me £1000 to fit the new one. Said the part is £120 + VAT and the labout will be around £700 +VAT

Are they having a laugh? Is it really a big job? The lupo is only 5 months out of warranty and has only down 19,000 miles!

So much for reliability

Are they having a laugh? Is it really a big job?

No and yes.

When they make a car, they take the heater matrix and then they build everything else around it, literally.

It's an entire dash out job to fix, I've had two go on previous cars, and each time it's been in the 500 quid region to fix (independant garage)

What year is the car? 19000 is stupid for a heater matrix to go! I didnt think they went on newer cars anyway!? :wacko:

Actually good point, what sort of symptoms are you seeing?

The dead giveaway in mine was the steam coming out of the heating vents ;) That and the puddle of green pish on the floor in the passenger's footwell...

thanks for the replies.

the car is just over 3 years old (3 months out of warranty!!)

its clearly a manufacturing defect, as the dealership guy said there was no way this should be hanning at this lifestage. thanks for confiming m4t vw!

its a 1.4 tdi

i have rung VW customer service and logged a claim with them, on the basis that im just out of warranty and good service history.

They will get back to me tomorrow to see if there's any help they will give me!

Actually good point, what sort of symptoms are you seeing?

The dead giveaway in mine was the steam coming out of the heating vents ;) That and the puddle of green pish on the floor in the passenger's footwell...

the engine coolant was leaking into the footwell of the passenger seat!

thanks for the replies.

the car is just over 3 years old (3 months out of warranty!!)

its clearly a manufacturing defect, as the dealership guy said there was no way this should be hanning at this lifestage. thanks for confiming m4t vw!

its a 1.4 tdi

i have rung VW customer service and logged a claim with them, on the basis that im just out of warranty and good service history.

They will get back to me tomorrow to see if there's any help they will give me!

Please keep us posted on this one. I would be disgusted if VW did not offer some help. If they don't you want as many people to know about this as possible. I have had to replace a heater matrix on a mk2 golf and its a horrible job. Its not 'difficult', just very fiddly. I would imagine on a lupo it would be much worse.

Good luck.

update time!

VW customer services have authorised a 50% discount on the total bill.

So i just called the garage and spoke to a different service engineer, who told me he would put the labour on this job at about £440 & costs of part £120, so after the discount would be £280 + vat

But the first guy I spoke to said it would cost £700 for the labour and 120 for the part. so after discount £420 +vat.

When the first guy calls me back - I'll find out why he wanted to charge so much for labour!