'BMC cause of all my problems'

Snoopy

Dropped the car off to VW yesterday for some warranty work, including fixing the temperature sensor, which would overread intermittently, and cause reduced performance when it did so.

Well, apparently the temperature sensor wasn't at fault, and it was all the fault of my BMC. I shouldn't have put that 'little filter' on (oil breather pipe) as it was a closed system, and it would cause it to run badly. I should replace the OE airbox immediately, because if the engine blew up with that on (apparently quite likely!) then I wouldn't have a warranty!

At this point I pointed out to them that the BMC had been on for two weeks, that it made the car run better most of the time, and that they'd had it in twice before for the temperature sensor problem, and neither time had the BMC been fitted.

Anyway, they changed the temperature sensor (mainly because I'd done them a sheet of printouts from `VAG-COM` showing that, yes, it really was reporting the wrong temperature, so they didn't actually have to do the hard part of their job) and only charged me 64 quid for the oil change service, so it could be worse.

I chuckled on the way out laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Still planning on feeding the oil breather pipe back in `post-filter`, though, to get rid of the smell!

I always knew there was a reason why I never bought a BMC.

Always thought it was because Id have to buy a GTi to go with it, but Ive remembered now...they blow you bloody cars up!

Thank you VW for again amazing us all with you knowlage.

• 5 months later...

you can put the engine cover back on but the back half of it just flaps around - cos it hasnt got anything to attach to, and it will eventually rub through the intake hosing so its better left off imo.

the breather mod just gets rid of the smell... all that it is (as far as i know)is a section of hosing fed back into the elbow section between the bmc and throtle body. it wont cause any problems cos thats pretty much what the layout of the standard airbox is like.

ive thought about it myself but i wanna get some coilovers before i do anything else! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

This is nothing new and has probably happened to half of the people that have something wrong with theyre car, an iduction kit and have taken it down to a dealership. Your rather brave taking it there with the BMC on if its still under warranty!

I dont take my car to my dealership out of choice, after my warranty runs out they'll never see it again.