Arosa PD Engine Oil?

ArosaPD

Firstly, hello everyone! This is my first post on this fab forum, I think it's brill! I wonder if anyone out there can help me? I have recently bought a 2001 Arosa TDI and have looked through the owners manual and was shocked to see that it states that on NO account should you should use any engine oil other than VW505 01 Specification oil otherwise serious damage may occur to the engine. I have always used fully synthetic oil as a matter of course when I service my cars, but it clearly states that even fully synthetic diesel oil is no good for the PD engine. If there is anyone out there that can clarify this point for me, I would be much obliged. Ta.

8)

Fully sinthetic is only for high reving petrol engines, diesels have their own range of oild which will work better under the higher pressures inside a PD engine. Ordered my 160bhp PD seat last night so will be joining the derv crew soon

I think that's the 'long life' oil which VW use for all of their PD engines - not so sure that other diesel oils would be a problem, but they say theirs does give some benefit (well, they would wouldn't they).

If you look in the car care section of your manual you'll probably see that use of `non-vw` screenwash can cause serious damage, use of non vw car shampoo can cause serious damage etc etc.

QUOTE(bossjohnc)
use of non vw car shampoo can cause serious damage etc etc.

Is that really true?

I read that about the screen wash and almost fell for it.

I now used Ford's apple screen wash... smells yum! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Not sure if it's really written, but just making the point...

...it's quite bad that they do that really - if it gets to the point where everyone ignores it because they know it's not true, and then they issue a genuine warning - there might be quite a few sick cars!

Obliged for your replies guys. I put in a search for this on the forum but got nothing back, but have since put a search on Alta Vista and it brought up some interesting facts. Like you pointed out, it seems to be a 'long life' oil but apparently it also has to endure higher pressures within the PD engine which is why it's a higher spec oil. I was sceptical when I read it and thought along the same lines as yourself, and that it was just a manufacturers ploy to get you to use their own overpriced products. It would appear that Castrol Longlife II or Mobil SHC Formula LD `0W-30` are the ones to go for. :roll:

right at work (audi dealer) we use the vw specific oil in PD engines which are on standered fixed service ie 1 year/10k miles.

in cars on variable service up to 2 years/32k miles we use mobil shc oil.

i think the reason for this is cost more than anything vw oil being cheaper than shc.