Project GTI - Mmmm carbon .......

elliecjno1

Hoping to get my hands on an arch roller this week. I know the gti's can be awkward to roll so not expecting brilliant results, just hoping to be able to roll the inner lip up slightly.

Heat is the key ;) Aluminium is brittle only, if you try to bend it without heating it up properly.

how much modding did you have to do for the interior to fit ? btw it looks good :shades:

We had adaptors for the front seats so save for a couple of holes to drill they were an easy swap. The rears though are a different kettle of fish. None of the brackets line up so it'd probably be easier to use the seat covers and trim the gti rears than try and fit the mk6 rears.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Had a bit of productive weekend this weekend. Despite having a jeep for her horse duties, Ellie had been using the Lupo to go up to the farm this week so we started the weekend like this...

Clean1.jpg

Clean2.jpg

With the car hopefully going in for some paintwork at the end of the month I decided there wasn't much point in spending hours and hours detailing so I did a quick whiz around with the DAS.

Clean3.jpg

Today I decided to change the rear discs and pads so we got the rear up on axle stands and set to work. Only problem was, we forgot we needed a wind back tool so we shelved the idea changing the discs and pads and set to work cleaning out the rear arches.

Clean6.jpg

They were hosed out, sprayed with APC and brushed down.

Clean11.jpg

Quite a bit of mud was lodged up there :lol:

Clean7.jpg

Clean9.jpg

Once that was done, I decided to finish off cleaning out the honeycomb of the grills. This has been long long over due! APC, a toothbrush and some patience later...

Clean10.jpg

Clean12.jpg

It needs some plastic blackener to finish it off. The final touch of the day was some inserts for the seat handles. I'm going to tweak them a little bit tomorrow but here's a little pic for now.

Seatinsert.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

He's taken them off me now. :( I was allowed them for the drive up to Ultimate Dubs but he's taken them back now. :lol:

After all the work trying to get the car ready for UD we still had some last minute issues. Huw and his friend managed to roll the rear arches enough to take the new wheels but he couldn't do the fronts in time. So a little jiggery pokery and we decided we'd have to swap them up there. :D

A perfect fit...

boot-1.jpg

It meant and early start, the use of a B&Q entrance to shelter from the rain and a run in with the law but we got them on and made it to the show.

198829_10150437433460181_510635180_17697837_4353679_n.jpg

They're 15x8 all round with 195/45 (i think) Toyo Proxes. I love them but Huw's not 100% on them but they'll probably be staying for most of this season.

DSCF2920.jpg

DSCF2914.jpg

DSCF2921.jpg

We also modded the seat inserts slightly to tie in with the theme of the car..

DSCF2924.jpg

Then this weekend Huw's mate came back around to change the rear pads and disks while Huw stood around and watched supervised.

brakes.jpg

That's pretty much it now until the end of April. The car is off to the bodyshop next week with an ever increasing list of things to do. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys. I'm still not sure about the schmidts. That means they probably won't be staying but would appreciate peoples comments on them. Good or bad.

The car is now in the bodyshop. I dropped it up last weekend and they've been busy stripping it this week. It's now looking very sorry for itself...

207032_10150482980465584_634300583_17993481_5246405_n.jpg

208538_10150482980825584_634300583_17993486_1867513_n.jpg

But it's in good company. 6 Ferrari's, 2 Maseratti's and an MG :lol:

208069_10150482993995584_634300583_17993564_1063320_n.jpg

On the "to do" list...

- 2010 Mk8 Polo boot handle cut in to the standard boot

- Smooth rear spoiler light out

- Smooth front bumper

- Fold all arch lips flat in on themselves

- New rear window

- New rear pop out side windows

- Stubby drivers mirror

- paint interior dash plastics

- paint some engine bay plastics

With it all stripped down, they're hoping to have the fabrication and body work done this week, with a view to painting during next week. Excited!! :lol:

Edited by Huw Pugh

Hey friend!....cars looking real good now dude...my car went in to a local bodyshop in Newport the other week...very poor work!!were to you having yours sprayed dude?l8n x

Lol, yeah. I was getting in a right flap. It arrived the day before the car was due to go in. :lol: I couldn't find one anywhere (other than the guy who wanted £260) then a whole salvage car came up on ebay. Messaged the guy to see if he'd break it and it turned out he had a spare back end. Winner!

The rear badge has some little marks on it but i have a new one on order.

Edited by Huw Pugh

• 2 weeks later...

Well despite my nagging, she still hasn't updated this :coffee:

We went up to the bodyshop on the weekend. All the arches are flat in on themselves. The boot is spretty much done. The front wings and bumper need a little more work, otherwise its pretty much ready for paint.

Lupo2.jpg

Lupo1.jpg

Roof1.jpg

Facial jibb was optional :lol:

arch1.jpg

Boot2.jpg

Boot1.jpg