Project GTI - Mmmm carbon .......

elliecjno1

It was Elle's birthday last week so having noted how much time she was spending looking at private number plates, I decided to get her one. I also bought a set of show plates too which seemed to go down a treat at last weekend's show - we had loads of people pointing and commenting on them.

DSCF9237.jpg

We also managed to win 2nd in class at the Volksfest Wales Show & Shine last weekend. It was a shame not to have been able to hold on to the 1st place I won last year but competition was stiff. Keeping the Lupo is no easy task either as it makes daily trips up a farm to her horse and it doesn't take much before it looks like this...

DSCF7006.jpg

DSCF7007.jpg

To enter the Show and Shine therefore meant a good pre show detail...

and here's the result....

One side PC'd the other not

DSCF7026.jpg

DSCF7025.jpg

DSCF7058.jpg

DSCF7056.jpg

DSCF7062.jpg

DSCF7050.jpg

And pictures from the show....

DSCF9285.jpg

DSCF9256.jpg

DSCF9257.jpg

DSCF9278.jpg

DSCF9281.jpg

DSCF9282.jpg

DSCF9304.jpg

Ooh well you have a clone in the Newport area then :lol:

I was pointing and trying to think of your name as it went past, only yellow one Ive seen round here so we assumed it was you :huh:

• 4 months later...

Just a little "progress" update for the moment. We're busy trying to get the car ready for Ultimate Dubs and this years show season. A couple of months back we bought some Mk4 Recaros, which are going to be retrimmed. We're not quite 100% on what colour yet, but it's going to be something a little different.

We've also purchased some Schmidts (Foxy might recognise them ;)) from Gaz.

IMG_2727.jpg

We haven't fitted them to the car yet, but I know they'll look mint. The black centres are awesome and will suit the car a treat. However, we also have a spare set of centres which I think we're going to paint to match the interior. I'm in 2 minds as to what will look best, but we'll just have to wait and see.

There's a little more to come too but we don't want to give the game away too much just yet. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Had a quick trial fit of the Schmidts this weekend and they're bonza. We were getting a slight rubbing noise in the car, but couldn't hear anything outside. I think it's the inner rim just catching the adjuster ring on the coilover, so I'll trim a bit off the adjuster next time I fit them.

DSC04487.jpg

DSC04488.jpg

DSC04489.jpg

Good job we had a trial fit too. The tyres on the front Bathursts were completely shot on the insides. Luckily I had some spare Toyo's so Ellie went and got them changed. Unfortunately the guy who swapped the tyres clearly didn't give two :censored:s about the wheels and took huge chucks of paint off the wheels when swapping the tyres. Needless to say his boss will be having a very unpleasant phone call tomorrow.

On a more positive note, I think we've found a retrim style and subject to a trial mark up on the seats, it's going to be a unique OEM. Watch this space. :D

Edited by Huw Pugh

Parked in a disabled space?

Ha ha I take no responsibility for that! Huw put it there! I parked it in another space, he moved it :lol: Apparently disabled spot was flatter for jacking the car up. Dont worry though, we were the only ones in there.

Soooooo annoyed about my bathursts being wrecked! Hopefully Huw can get some sense out of them tomorrow :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Updates?

Whoah this must have taken some digging up! :lol:

Will be quite a few over winter I think ;)

A few bits & bobs been picked up over the last month or so & a good few plans in the pipeline I think. Plenty of opportunity to potch now we've aquired a garage & if all goes to plan I'll be getting a jeep, therefore the Loop maybe getting a makeover seeing as it wont be my daily anymore :D Think the aim is for Ultimate Dubs B)

We had a last min disaster last year & ended up going to Ultimate Dubs in the BM leaving the Loop stranded on the Schmidts on my driveway :( I was in tears! Long story! All made worse as I spent the day wandering round feeling like death with tonsilitus lol

But just to put you in the picture, those Schmidts have gone & so have the MK4's, upped the game ;)

Sure Huw will be posting photos to keep everything updated if he ever takes his eyes off the for sale threads on E38!!! :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by elliecjno1

• 2 months later...

Well the jeep has arrived so we no longer have to worry about the Loop looking like this...

boot.jpg

Unfortunately the BMW is still taking up the garage space so can't get stuck in to the Loop 100% at the moment, but we've made a start. We trial fitted the new wheels last weekend. They're 15x8 all round but I wasn't sure of the offset so was a bit worried they wouldnt fit. It's all good though. Bar a small clearance issue on the front calipers, the fronts sit fine. The rears could probably do with a 3mm spacer on them but need to roll the arches before we do that. Only a little teaser pic of the wheels for the moment... :coffee:

Loopwheels.jpg

Depending on the weather, we're hoping to have a stab at getting the new interior in this weekend. If we're feeling particularly adventurous we may have a trial fit of the new steering wheel, although may wait until I have an airbag for it before tinkering.

The car is also provisionally booked in to the bodyshop for some work. I've booked in to someone I know who restores/repairs Ferraris/Jags/Bentleys. I've detailed countless cars for him over the last few years and I know his paintwork is second to none. He's booked up until 2012 but agreed he could fit the loop in at the end of March. It means missing Ultimate Dubs but hey ho.

Edited by Huw Pugh

• 2 weeks later...

Well despite some rather heavy snow yesterday, Huw's mate came over this morning to help with the new interior. It's the Jacara tartan trim from a '10 plate Mk6 Golf Gti.

We started with the rears and I think Huw was having second thoughts as we tried fitting the Mk6 bench. It's quite a bit wider than the Lupo so we've had to take the door pockets out for the moment. The backs slotted in a little easier than getting the base to sit correctly - it wasn't quite sitting correctly in the photo below. You can see it's a little higher in the middle than the sides. A little jiggery pokery and it's been sorted.

The fronts were a little easier to get in with just a couple of holes to drill (we already had brackets - its not a straight bolt in job). It was dark by the time we got the last seat in so not got a good pic with it all in but heres one half way through. I love the gti standard seats, but these are in a class of their own!

LupoInterior1.jpg

LupoInterior2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A few more pics with the seats all fitted..

DSCF2695.jpg

DSCF2696.jpg

DSCF2697.jpg

DSCF2699.jpg

Not sure if it's a reflection but the rear seat looks like it has marks on it. I'm pretty sure there's none there :wacko:

Hoping to get my hands on an arch roller this week. I know the gti's can be awkward to roll so not expecting brilliant results, just hoping to be able to roll the inner lip up slightly.