Project GTI - Mmmm carbon .......

elliecjno1

Picked it up Wednesday and have already used a tank driving it everywhere http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/rolleyes.gif love it to bits and not even had it a week! http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wub.png

Not very good photos but thought Id post them up anyway.

Windscreen being replaced Tuesday because of the nasty stonechip/crack in it & new tyres going on the front Wednesday so will be getting there then with making it 100%.

Got to ring VW service dept tomorrow to get hold of an owners manual (didnt come with one) and get quote for the check straps. Only other things then will be trying to sort out why heater/fan dials etc dont light up in the dark which is annoying, and the whooshing noise when I drive from either front on back wheel drivers side (cant suss which), maybe connected to the squealing when I brake (only does it sometimes) but who knows. All the pads look ok and thats as far as I go lol will take it into a garage for them to have a look.

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

Edited by elliecjno1

very nice did you get discount for the problem's?

all small things like so no biggy.

After listing off the problems he took £200 straight off for windscreen crack and tyres plus theres the rest I mentioned on my previous post so managed to knock £300 off in total which is better than nothing.

Only came with one key (garage he bought it off only gave him one) and the V5 which I was annoyed with because Id ideally like another key plus obv some history, plus its taken until today to suss out how to open bonnet etc ha ha so getting a manual off VW is priority lol. Overall im very pleased with it though :D

Edited by elliecjno1

Ha ha I got it from Cardiff too. No plans really yet, just getting bits that need doing done like the check straps, fan lights & sorting the whooshing noise out, trying to find a garage thatll know what theyre doing with it without taking it to VW themselves. When ive got a bit of money though (Ive skinted myself on the tyres etc lol) will be lowering it about 35mm prob on eibach springs ive been looking at, think itll still manage the lanes I use then without scraping anything but we'll see. Probably pick up on ideas from peoples cars on here to be honest - I havent got a clue at the mo :blush:

If you're replacing the windscreen, get new wiper blades. Mine has been scrapped to buggery by the wipers themselves and I'm on the point of changing the screen as soon as funds allow.

How many miles for that price, if you don't mind me asking?

Deek.

Also, for the "whossing" sound, does one of the wheels get noticeably hotter than its equivalent on the passenger side. That would help you locate the problem...

thanks for that, il have a feel of them now when I take it out in a bit, hope its nothing serious!

34,000 miles on it for £5700

look for a member on here or edition 38 called lesta, he's a welsh lad and sound he'll maybe have advice on someone other thatn a main dealer in the wales.

tell him mitch pointed you his way isnit.

look for a member on here or edition 38 called lesta, he's a welsh lad and sound he'll maybe have advice on someone other thatn a main dealer in the wales.

tell him mitch pointed you his way isnit.

thanks for that, will keep an eye out for him then!

I take it back :blush: the pads arent ok, dont know what I was looking at but on closer inspection it seems as if there is no pad left on drivers side rear wheel so that explains the whistling metal noise as I drive and the whooping when I brake. What an idiot lol. Not much left on the other 3 either so will have to get them done asap too. Any recommendation on pads? Not too pricey but good (now skint ha ha).

Also (sorry for the million and one questions) just turned in my street and there was an obvious clunk when I got to full lock, is this normal or something else I should look into? :unsure:

Thanks

could be anything really, top mount, ball joint,snapped spring or indeed just the spring moving. is it lowered?

Looks cool that, where abouts are you from, you don't see many black ones around.

Im from South Wales - Newport, just over the bridge not far from Cardiff really. I noticed that theres not many black ones around too, was going to get a silver one but then mine caught my eye. Finding the dirt a pain already though - Im used to my silver car lol.

Dont know how many there is of each colour mind. Have seen a blue one and black one round here but only the once, a silver ones always parked up in town but thats the only ones Ive ever come across.

Hi, i think you should you should get car checked properly by a good mechanic,it seems previous owner has not looked after the car.As for springs i suggest using Eibach pro kit,iv'e got them on mine they are superb for daily ride.Good luck.

yeh the previous owner only had it since feb from a garage but think hes left everything going or close to it when selling it, luckily I picked up on 99% of it myself otherwise I couldnt have knocked price down a bit the way he was.

Had two new toyos put on the front today and windscreen was replaced yesterday so theyre out of the way B)

It'll be going into the garage I use next month now (cant afford it at the mo even though id like too) to be checked over, my mate seems to think the scraping is just something simple like a dust cover? on the brake (dont know what the hell that is but thats what he called it) scraping the disc when I drive or a pad touching but will be having that looked at anyways incase its a warped disc or what not. The clunk that I heard on full lock the other day hasnt happened since when Ive done the same thing so dont know what that was.

All I need to do then is get the interior heater/fan lights working, tighten passenger wing mirror because its loose, order and fit check straps from VW and also get an owners manual off them.

With any luck then itll be fine :D will be worth it though so im not too bothered

When I get some money spare then probably in a few months, Ill be having my mates garage touch it up - quite alot of very fine light scuffs which you can only see then you look (not noticable when waxed etc) and a few nasty chips, not really a problem but theyre there if you know what I mean (may get one of those bra thingys then to stop more lol) also very light small dent in the roof (god knows how) but can easily be sucked out by the looks. Then itll be wheel refurb (a few nasty chunks out of them) and finally lowering it on the eibach springs I mentioned, will use the pro kit like mukilupo suggested ;)

Tempted to have a mate spray the wheels anthracite but will see how it goes . . .

quite a bit of work but for the milage and price I just couldnt let it go lol

Edited by elliecjno1

thanks for that! really useful! will get a hold of that bulb for my dash then and give it a go :)

ordered check straps £13 each + vat from VW today so will be picking them up tomorrow and attempting to change them myself lol and also picking up owners manual which I was surprised how cheap it was considering the bloke was making it out it was something being going on it was leather bound etc, £23 so Im happy with that too B)

getting there!!! ha ha

• 9 months later...

Lets get this thread moving.....

Ellies not done too much since buying the car, save for red grill piping, a stubby aerial and replacing the K&N filter with a standard air box. He'res a picture of how the car looks at the moment.

DSC02029.jpg

Unfortunately, it spends a lot of time in country lanes so is actually more commonly seen like this....

DSC01783.jpg

:D:P

A couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to tinker...

Before...

Image002.jpg

During...

Image003.jpg

After

Image005.jpg

These are the cambridge rear lights I had on my lupo with the orange inserts removed.

With some decent weather this weekend, the Gti had a good clean. El polished it yesterday then I topped it up with some jetseal today. Its not had a full pc'ing yet but will do towards the end of April. Anyway, heres a few pictures.

DSCF6571.jpg

DSCF6573.jpg

DSCF6574.jpg

DSCF6576.jpg

DSCF6578.jpg

DSCF6580.jpg

DSCF6582.jpg

DSCF6585.jpg

And a couple from my phone on our travels.

Image080.jpg

Image082.jpg

Edited by Huw Pugh